Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-16-2012, 19:57   #1
JBarbaresi

Back on the Gen4 Bandwagon

I've been pretty much AWOL from GT for quite a while. After going through a whole ordeal trying to resolve ejection issues with my early production Gen4 G19 I finally gave up and bought a Gen3 G19 in Jan of this year. It's been good to me after several thousands of rounds and had nothing significant to report about. Lately I've been craving another Gen4 because I favor the SF grip and texture, only problem is I haven't been able to find a blue label in stock anywhere. Yesterday I got the call that my local my local police supply received 40 of them yesterday. I had to go pick it up today and after using a $100 gift card I had, I walked out the door with it for $320.

Serial prefix is UBB with test fire date of 11/9/12. It has the dot connector and new ejector, but same old dipped extractor that came in my Gen3. It looks like Glock has changed the finish again for this batch, it's a slight glossy gray color that isn't as glossy as my 12/5/11 Gen3 but not nearly as flat/rough as when the Gen4s first came out. I like the rough finish for its grippiness but prefer glossy for its ease to clean after a hard range day. This seems like a nice compromise between the two. It also looks like they beefed up the thickness of the polymer inside the front rails.

It got my normal "new glock" treatment of a detail strip and thorough cleaning, polish job, reduced power striker safety spring, 0357 trigger bar, and Vickers mag release. I also decided to give one of the Pearce Gen4 BCI a try but the fit is not great and it fails as a magazine ramp so probably won't keep it. Now that it's all pretty I'll test its function tomorrow with some 147gr Speer Lawman and 147gr Winchester X. If everything goes well I'll probably run a box of HST through it as well. Once I feel comfortable with it I'll throw on a set of RB1 sights and call it a day.
JBarbaresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 20:11   #2
SJ 40

I hope all goes well with your initial firing tomorrow and shoots like a Glock should or should I say as they did in years gone by. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 20:53   #3
TexasPOff
"Dump The Hump"

Glad to see you back around. I too am craving a Gen 4 for some reason. My 3rd gens have been perfect, but something is eating at me to try a 4th gen 19 as well. I have a couple of calls out to my local LE as well. Friend just picked up a commercial version 4th gen USA made G19. So far it has functioned as a glock should, boringly well. TXPO
Certified M&P LE Armorer
www.ColdBoreCustom.com "DUMP THE HUMP"
TexasPOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 21:21   #4
JBarbaresi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPOff View Post
Glad to see you back around. I too am craving a Gen 4 for some reason. My 3rd gens have been perfect, but something is eating at me to try a 4th gen 19 as well. I have a couple of calls out to my local LE as well. Friend just picked up a commercial version 4th gen USA made G19. So far it has functioned as a glock should, boringly well. TXPO
I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow, I'm optimistic based off my experiences with my late production Gen3. Speaking of which, I probably will be sending the frame off to you for some work in the near future.
Old 11-16-2012, 22:38   #5
TexasPOff
"Dump The Hump"

That sounds good. I will be awaiting your report on how she functions. Just let me know whenever your ready. have a good day at the range. TXPO
Certified M&P LE Armorer
www.ColdBoreCustom.com "DUMP THE HUMP"
TexasPOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:55   #6
Beretta92guy

good to see you JB, i was talking to you frequently during the Glock 32 fail-to-feed issues......you went above and beyond figuring that out......

good to see ya'
Beretta92guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44   #7
Ranger45

Congrats on the new Gen4! I've been very pleased with mine.
Ranger45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:38   #8
JBarbaresi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta92guy View Post
good to see you JB, i was talking to you frequently during the Glock 32 fail-to-feed issues......you went above and beyond figuring that out......

good to see ya'
How are the 32s working now? I went from the 357 back to 9mm exclusively a couple years ago. I have a lot of faith in the glock platform overall even with the few issues i've had over the years, it's just frustrating not being able to identify the problematic part.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:04   #9
Bruce M

Hopefully you will be as happy with it after shooting it.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:15   #10
SCmasterblaster

Welcome back, sir. Enjoy your Gen 4 G19.
Old 11-17-2012, 21:42   #11
JBarbaresi

So the good news is my gun works, bad news is all my media is giving me problems uploading. I made some video of some reload drills but can't get them merged to upload on youtube. The pictures I uploaded into photobucket are horrible resolution from the upload.

Anyways, I shot 100 rounds of both 147gr loads listed above and 50 rounds of 124gr HST. Didn't have any malfunctions or bad ejections that i noticed. The most annoying thing was the POI of the 147gr loads being 4-5" high at 7 yards with the stock sights. They tend to hit a little high but not like that. The HSTs were right on with POA at 7yd. TLR-1 was mounted the whole time.

I have been a fan of the Vickers mag release in Gen3 models and the gen4 didnt disappoint either. It's still a little stiff but a noticeable improvement over stock. Other than that nothing really significant to report. Below are the pictures that look horrible but I'll work on getting the quality better tomorrow and finding a way to edit the videos.

General Glocking

General Glocking

General Glocking

General Glocking

5yr old son having a go at it.

General Glocking

Last edited by JBarbaresi; 11-18-2012 at 12:27..
Old 11-18-2012, 04:30   #12
Beanie-Bean

Good to hear that the Gen4 is working well for you. Enjoyed the pic with you and your son, especially. Reminds me of when I took mine out shooting for the first time.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:40   #13
JBarbaresi

Gave up on trying to merge. There are a bunch more but youtube uploads take forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv9X...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij4a...e_gdata_player

Last edited by JBarbaresi; 11-18-2012 at 12:29..
Old 11-24-2012, 21:48   #14
JBarbaresi

1 week update.

BLUF, i love this Gen4 G19. The SF frame and grip texture are much better for me than the Gen3 frame. One thing I am really coming to appreciate is the mag release, it's a combination of the better reach I get from the SF frame and the vickers mag release. If you don't have a vickers mag release on your Gen4 you need to get one, I am a huge advocate of the Gen3 model but the Gen4 is even better.

I picked up 200 rounds of some cheap 115gr federal champion ammo since I don't typically stock that stuff, just to test the gun's function on some of the ammo that's gives everyone such headaches. the ejection was noticeably weaker with the 115gr stuff but never had any issues whatsoever and the pattern was pretty consistent. all in all i am fully trusting of this gun and it will be ready for regular carry after I get another set of redback one sights for it. also decided to take advantage of glockmeister's $3 grip plug black friday sale and picked up a couple. I'll try to sand off the branding they decided to put on it which is one of the reasons I went with the pearce to begin with.

more video:

Old 12-01-2012, 20:10   #15
JBarbaresi

Just another quick update.

This past week I picked up a "Brass Stacker Rachis Recoil System" for the gun. I wasn't looking for any performance enhancement and I didn't purchase this guide rod because of any issues I was having with the stock RSA. I just have a thing for stainless steel guide rods and also like the option of having an uncaptured system so I can easily switch/replace springs when desired. With my last Gen4 I used the Jager SS guide rod and had a lot of success with it, but since this Brass Stacker model is new to the market I thought I'd give it a shot. I've still got the Jager SS guide rod and 18# ISMI spring in my Gen3, every once in a while I'll throw in a 15# spring when shooting lighter loads.

As you can see from the pics below the Brass Stacker system is very well made, I've read pretty strong reviews on most of their products and initial observations of the Rachis system didn't disappoint when I opened the package. As advertised the fit is extremely tight, almost to the point where initial install was sort of a pain in the arse but after a little bit of playing around it all went together. I spent the day yesterday just playing around, racking the slide and doing dry fire drills. The spring (advertised as an 18# ISMI) felt a little heavier than the stock Gen4 RSA or my Gen3 spring and the action was not nearly as smooth. I figured this was probably due to needing some break in. The back of the packaging even mentioned it would smooth out with some use. I like the way this product looks installed, the adapter ring is hardly noticeable (unlike all the other "Gen4 adapters" on the market) and the muzzle end of the gun retains a similar look to the stock RSA. One of the biggest complaints I had about the Jager Gen4 guide rod is the weird looking "cup" used to capture the spring onto the rod, I think they could have done a little better with that design. Needless to say, looks are only a superficial observation when it comes to function.

Today I shot 200 rounds using the Rachis guide rod system. I didn't add any oil or lude to the guide rod and ran it completely dry, wanting to see how it functioned under the worst possible scenario during intial "break-in". I was not expecting to reduce felt recoil or muzzle flip as the guide rod is advertised to be a similar weight to the stock RSA and with a similar spring weight the results should have been comparable. The point of my shooting today was just to make sure the new parts didn't induce any kind of stoppage or malfunction. I loaded up magazines with 100 rounds of 147gr Speer Lawman and 100 rounds of the weakest 115gr Federal Champion ammo I could find. I threw all the magazines into a pile and just shot them at random "blind" without knowing what I was loading.

Although I didn't have any malfunctions, the ejections with the 115gr were considerably weaker than the 147gr, which is to be expected, however I would describe some of them as getting to the point of being "uncomfortably" weak or erratic. I didn't experience this level of weak ejection with the 115gr Federal ammo using the stock RSA on previous outings. I had no issues at all with the 147gr Lawman. I think the spring on the Rachis system is slightly sprung heavier than the advertised 18# and the Federal ammo was having a more difficult time cycling the slide, although like I previously stated there were no malfunctions. This may improve with some more use and break in of the entire recoil system with more rounds in the future.

After shooting today the cycling action did feel a lot smoother than before and the Rachis system was easier to install and uninstall. It seems like a reliable system but the fact that it needs such a long break in period is kind of frustrating. It still does not feel nearly as smooth as my Jager guide rod on my Gen3, but I am reasonable and also should note that there are several thousands of rounds on that gun/guide rod combo. All in all I am more than satisfied with the Brass Stacker Rachis system, I look forward to sending some more rounds down range with it and seeing how it continues to improve and hold up with more use. The fact that it is made in the USA, ships for free when ordered from Brassstacker.com, and is very competitively priced at only $40 including the spring, I can easily recommend it to anyone looking for a quality stainless steel guide rod option for their Gen4. They also make a heavyweight version that will likely help with recoil reduction as well if you are looking for that. Below are some pics of what it looks like installed.

General Glocking

General Glocking

General Glocking

General Glocking

General Glocking

General Glocking
Old 05-09-2013, 10:08   #16
kenndapp

i know this is an old thread but, just wanted to say thanks for the review on the rechis recoil rod. been searching for info on it for a while now and just found this. brassstacker told me that they usually use an ISMI spring on thees specially made for their over sized rod. but due to state of the industry had to supplement in wolff springs which just happen to fit when ISMI could not deliver in time. they also said they would go back to ISMI when they could.

i wonder which one you have. any clue? if you have the wolff spring it might explain why it felt heavy at first as i have heard ISMI springs can run a bit lighter than advertised?
kenndapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:54   #17
GRT45
Transform & Win

The spring in the photo looks like a Wolff spring coil to me. The ISMI spring is flat wire material similar to factory. I've read several reports where shooters measured the strength of ISMI springs and they were 2-3 pounds under the stated rating, whereas Wolff is consistently near the stated strength. ISMI seems to be the preference for many competition shooters, and Wolff for most duty/carry pistols.

Last edited by GRT45; 05-09-2013 at 10:55..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:24   #18
kenndapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRT45 View Post
The spring in the photo looks like a Wolff spring coil to me. The ISMI spring is flat wire material similar to factory. I've read several reports where shooters measured the strength of ISMI springs and they were 2-3 pounds under the stated rating, whereas Wolff is consistently near the stated strength. ISMI seems to be the preference for many competition shooters, and Wolff for most duty/carry pistols.
i have heard the same thing. i wonder if has something to do with the CS design were it wont measure properly but has the same characteristics as the indicated rating....possible? i don't think ISMI has poor quality control or anything like that.

what are wolff springs made of? i heard music wire....not sure what that means. i do know wolff spring are very very hard as i had to cut one once and damaged my heavy wire cutter blades before the spring finally cut.

also...... the spring for the rechis system is custom made for there larger than usual diameter rod..... so i wouldn't be shocked if someone told me the one in the pic is an ISMI.
Old 05-09-2013, 23:53   #19
bac1023

Congrats!

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:41   #20
kenndapp

Any updates? Anyone else using the rachis system?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:03   #21
kenndapp

Bumping this for further interest........

Tags
g19, gen4