Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-16-2012, 16:43   #1
capnjim01

TIRED OF BoA

Went to use my debt card today and it is not approved. After a 12 minute hold the customer service person informed me my card had been canceled since it had been "compromised". They couldn't tell what that meant, but they did send me a new card on 10/31/12 and canceled my old one.

The problem is that one they never told me it was canceled and the new one never arrived. The only solution they could offer me was to go to a local branch and they would issue me a new one. Ok I am a little hot over this but it's 4:15pm on a Friday and I don't have a whole lot of options at this point.

The bank gave me a new card that's good for 30 days and canceled the old one that never showed up. So come December 1st I am finding a new bank. I've given Bank of America to many chances this was the last one.

Nobody besides used my card but is was on a list they watched the activity for 10 days and then canceled it.
Rant over

PS. My G/F went out today a bought a bottle of Glenlivet and Knob Creek so it was a good ending to the day.

Last edited by capnjim01; 11-16-2012 at 16:45..
capnjim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 17:03   #2
Spiffums
I.C.P.

At least you got a card that day. I had to wait 2 weeks to get a card and all my auto pay stuff lapsed because my checking account and debit card were frozen when someone tried to take $800 out in Thailand.
Old 11-16-2012, 17:04   #3
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

That would aggravate the crap out of me. My Visa card gets locked down once in a while, but never canceled outright. Big difference there.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 17:07   #4
The Fist Of Goodness

It must have been a wide spread data loss, since my card was also "compromised" and replaced on 10/13.

Edit to add: mine was a credit card not a debit card.

Last edited by The Fist Of Goodness; 11-16-2012 at 18:02..
The Fist Of Goodness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 17:16   #5
CitizenOfDreams

And this, kids, is why you never use debit cards for shopping. Debit cards, unlike credit cards, are linked to "real" money in your account, so banks handle their security more zealously.

Also, this is why you carry several different cards plus some emergency cash.

Just to be clear, I'm in no way trying to excuse what BoA did to you. That was a messed up way to handle it on their part.

Last edited by CitizenOfDreams; 11-16-2012 at 17:17..
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 20:46   #6
rgb03

BoA is the devil stopped using them years ago when they raised my rates for no reason then made up some bull**** after I caught it.

They were also caught up in the great mortgage scam.

Last edited by rgb03; 11-16-2012 at 21:03..
rgb03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 21:06   #7
Ragnar

USAA if you're eligible.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 22:16   #8
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

We cut them off back in 2009 after some usury interest rates kicked in with no explanation...

My wife's parents dumped them a short time later - similar circumstances.

I know my Mom is getting *raped* by them - She has dementia and I can't get her to use her own accountant to take over the bills... and she missed some payments a couple times this year...

This last one is the bummer - Mom's at their mercy, and nothing we can do about it.

It would be a dream come true if that bank would just fail already... (LOL)

Download YOUR copy of Internet Safety Tips - "The Essentials"!
My Gift to You, AND it's >FREE<
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 22:28   #9
Drain You
NRA member

I got tired of them when they kept charging me $5 to cash a check even though it was drawn on their bank.

I grew more tired of them at my next job as they would not let me open an account with them unless I had direct deposit, which my employer refused to offer.

Haven't been tired of them in about 8 years now
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 23:11   #10
CitizenOfDreams

Sometimes I think I have an account in Bank of America from a parallel dimension. They never canceled my cards, freezed my account, raised interest rates, demanded to have direct deposit, charged to cash a check or did any other of those horrible things they do the rest of Glockfolk.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 23:18   #11
D-E-F-E-N-S-E!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Sometimes I think I have an account in Bank of America from a parallel dimension. They never canceled my cards, freezed my account, raised interest rates, demanded to have direct deposit, charged to cash a check or did
any other of those horrible things they do the rest of Glockfolk.
That is my experience as well. I have been a customer since 1995 and have had zero problems. As long as I keep a buffer in the checking account to stave off those checking fees, I am golden. I just got my wife an elliptical with my BofA CC rewards!
D-E-F-E-N-S-E! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 23:18   #12
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Sometimes I think I have an account in Bank of America from a parallel dimension. They never canceled my cards, freezed my account, raised interest rates, demanded to have direct deposit, charged to cash a check or did any other of those horrible things they do the rest of Glockfolk.

Don't say that, you'll jinx yourself.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 23:29   #13
Trapped_in_Kali

Never had BofA and never will. My dad had them, He used to tell me stories of $$ randomly showing up in his account then disappearing.
This was in the 60s and I decided then to not use them ever.
Trapped_in_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 23:43   #14
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

I've never heard or read anything good about them!!
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

8-Ball
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:16   #15
JMS

Quote:
Having worked in the financial services industry I always look out for organizations to start playing games, I've been with them for 10 years and have no issues, in addition I keep enough with them that even if I use a different banks ATM they'll automatically credit me back any fees

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:44   #16
Lowjiber

I fired BoA about a year ago when the announced a $5/month charge for using my debit card. They later "withdrew" that attempt, but I was long gone.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:12   #17
harlenm

Quote:
Me too, I now have all my stuff with them, checking, savings, mortgage, credit cards, car loans. They give me better rates then advertised when I apply for something, and have never once charged me a single fee.

Must be a different bank of America.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:07   #18
Bruce M

I guess I have been lucky wiht them also.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 15:26   #19
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Depending on when your original credit card account was opened, I'd be leery of changing banks right now. Bush changed some laws allowing banks to treat new customers much differently than existing customers. Read the fine print carefully before changing or you might end up much worse off.

Paul53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:52   #20
Drain You
NRA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
I fired BoA about a year ago when the announced a $5/month charge for using my debit card. They later "withdrew" that attempt, but I was long gone.

Oh yeah I forgot about that one!

I know Mastercard/Visa gets a big chunk of it but they are making $$$ every time you use your card.
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 13:20   #21
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul

Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
Although it is no longer my primary bank, I stay with them for a little mad money account. As long as I don't use a teller, I get free ATM and free checking. They're great when I'm overseas because of their extensive free ATM network. I used to have a credit card with them, and they were quick to cancel it when it was compromised. I appreciate that.

They have gone up on fees, so I just make sure I use their no fee services, which are numerous.

Their customer service to me has been superb, and believe me, it is a comfort to walk up to an ATM in London, Paris or Rome, even on a Sunday, and get service in English and local currency at a great rate of exchange with no service fees. Plus, I can order foreign currency on line and have it waiting for me at my local branch before I leave.

The only trouble I had was with a withdrawal in London, which they double-debited me on. A ten minute phone call when I got back solved that with no questions asked.

I use another bank for daily needs because I got a better deal, but, as long as there's no service charge, I'll keep my little travel account open.

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX

Last edited by uhlawpup; 11-18-2012 at 13:20..
uhlawpup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 15:05   #22
Wolfgang

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19_AJ View Post
I've never heard or read anything good about them!!
This is good: they open accounts to illegals with no SS #
Big Dawg #140
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 16:36   #23
bogeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain You View Post
Oh yeah I forgot about that one!

I know Mastercard/Visa gets a big chunk of it but they are making $$$ every time you use your card.
That used to be true, but not anymore. You can thank Senator Dodd and Congressman Frank (Dodd-Frank Banking Bill) for that one. Under Dodd-Frank, the amount that banks earn when someone uses their debit card has been cut by almost half. Those fees were used to, among other things, subsidize small accounts so that people with small balances could have "free' checking. When that was taken away by Dodd-Frank, the banks started looking for ways to recoup that lost revenue. Hence no more "free" accounts for those that keep small balances. And on the flip side of that coin, where did that extra money go? I doubt that Wal Mart, K Mart, et. al., lowered their prices to reflect the fact that they are now paying the banks less to process their debit transactions. They have kept the cash. This was nothing more than an income transfer to retailers at the expense of banks simply because banks are 'evil" and Congress could feel good about reducing the profits of banks. It ended up hurting the very people that they were trying to help....those that keep small checking balances.
bogeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 17:31   #24
harlenm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyman View Post
That used to be true, but not anymore. You can thank Senator Dodd and Congressman Frank (Dodd-Frank Banking Bill) for that one. Under Dodd-Frank, the amount that banks earn when someone uses their debit card has been cut by almost half. Those fees were used to, among other things, subsidize small accounts so that people with small balances could have "free' checking. When that was taken away by Dodd-Frank, the banks started looking for ways to recoup that lost revenue. Hence no more "free" accounts for those that keep small balances. And on the flip side of that coin, where did that extra money go? I doubt that Wal Mart, K Mart, et. al., lowered their prices to reflect the fact that they are now paying the banks less to process their debit transactions. They have kept the cash. This was nothing more than an income transfer to retailers at the expense of banks simply because banks are 'evil" and Congress could feel good about reducing the profits of banks. It ended up hurting the very people that they were trying to help....those that keep small checking balances.
The amount that retailers pay on credit card transactions didn't change under these law changes. We still pay basically the same amount(% for credit, fixed amount for debit) as we always have. Besides, our prices are not based on the amount of fees we pay, its based on the cost of the product, the freight charges, and the price the competition charges.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 17:52   #25
JerryVO

Just switched all of my accounts from BOA to a local credit union last week. I am kicking myself that it took me so long to do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

JerryVO is offline   Reply With Quote