SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-16-2012, 00:28   #1
ScottieG59

Ban concerns impacting purchases?

Sorry about the rambling...

During the Clinton "assault weapon" ban, I personally really did not notice. I spent part of it overseas as a soldier and upon my return, I never thought about it much.

After hearing some talk about possible magazine capacity limitations, I bought a Glock 20, along with a 40S&W conversion barrel and a lot of 15 round 10mm magazines (the 40S&W feed fine in them too, as does the 357 SIG and 9x25 Dillon).

With the notoriety of the 33 round Glock magazines, I bought a bunch, just in case the get banned. They are still in their original bags. I never liked these larger pistol magazines and never plan to actually use them unless I get a 9mm carbine and I am not even looking for one.

I have collected large magazines over the years and rarely actually use them. Some are not very reliable.

Over the past few weeks, I have been thinking of joining the ranks of the AR owners. I always liked the design and due to my Army years, I am very familiar with it, from the M16A1 through the M16A2. The M4 came out after I left the military. I never bought one before and would still wait on the purchase, however, the ban fear is hitting me again.

After almost buying and delaying, seeing everything sell out, come back in stock, almost ordering and seeing them go out of stock again, I finally clicked the "buy now" button on the Colt LE6920. I already have a lot of the 30 round magazines and will order some newer Magpul ones. I could have waited, but the president forced me on this one and the Republican leadership did not seem to boldly step forward.

I do not even have one single round of 5.56mm yet...

Who would have thought the United States would be moving toward legalizing recreational use of marijuana, yet work toward the restriction or elimination of basic American rights?

Though I had great parents, I was glad to be able to leave the nest and be responsible for myself. This past election is partially frightening because of the leadership in Washington, but I think I have more apprehension due to my fellow Americans. So many have grown up as takers from society, believing there are always providers out there. Those who produce and take personal responsibility have become vilified.

Well, the takers have finally outvoted the producers and they demand the Nanny State, along with all the restrictions and entitlements. Look at England and see where that leads; a disarmed and helpless population along with police that are unable to deal with riots without delays. Look at how New York City and New Jersey has and is dealing with Hurricane Sandy. Unarmed people stayed to guard their homes from looters. Just getting supplies was difficult and most communications went down (except for Verizon). As people waited desperately for the government do do something, they were, with some notable exceptions, unable to fend for themselves.

Sorry for the rambling.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:48   #2
barth
six barrels

Storm Warning

No one truly knows what lies ahead.
Ammo sales have spiked at my favorite distributor.
And I have to admit to making some gun related purchases myself lately.

I did live though the L.A. riots.
Earthquakes, floods, fires, dusk to dawn curfew
with the National Guard paroling the streets.

And the immediate U.S. Government response to this?
Gun and ammunition sales were immediately banned.

Last edited by barth; 11-16-2012 at 08:49..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:01   #3
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
No one truly knows what lies ahead.
Ammo sales have spiked at my favorite distributor.
And I have to admit to making some gun related purchases myself lately.

I did live though the L.A. riots.
Earthquakes, floods, fires, dusk to dawn curfew
with the National Guard paroling the streets.

And the immediate U.S. Government response to this?
Gun and ammunition sales were immediately banned.
The gummyent can't have you/us "bad" citizens shooting those "good" criminals.

ScottieG59, just to show you how useless BUT DANGEROUS the ban was... One could buy any "evil Black Rifle" with 2 "evil" devices, flash arrester, hand grip, bayonet lug, folding stock etc. One could play mix and match all day long and be perfectly legal as long as one didn't put more than 2 "evil devices" on at the same time (even inside your own home just to see how it looked... don't get caught). However if some poor schmuck didn't know any better, bought a rifle that had a fixed stock, bayonet lug and pistol grip and not knowing any better added a muzzle brake or collapsible stock he/she became an instant FELON.

One could buy 11 to infinity round capable mag biddies, springs and followers and put together new mags. No-one could tell if they were per-ban or not. When I questioned the legality of it I was told... "REPAIRS are OK. New body and follower used spring = REPAIR. Used follower = REPAIR. New body, spring and follower "prove it". If some poor schmuck added a + 2 grip to a 10 round mag = INSTANT FELON. AWB really worked.

Congress admitted the ban had no affect on illegal weapons or crime so they let the bill sunset. The only reason it passed in the first place was because of the sunset clause. I truly believe it was a test and it failed miserable like most gun-control.

However, give 90% of the people in The Obominations administration half a chance and we'll get to do it all over again.
BIG DAWG #4

Liberal: Someone who is so open-minded their brains have fallen out.
Guns are not dangerous, people are.

Last edited by Jerry; 11-16-2012 at 12:17..
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:07   #4
Atomic Punk

i have a few planned purchases. but i dont intend to sell any. all for me and mine.
Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 23:20   #5
holesinpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Congress admitted the ban had no affect on illegal weapons or crime so they let the bill sunset. The only reason it passed in the first place was because of the sunset clause. I truly believe it was a test and it failed miserable like most gun-control.
The fact a policy failed rarely stops government from abandoning it.
holesinpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 14:48   #6
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by holesinpaper View Post
The fact a policy failed rarely stops government from abandoning it.
a sad, sad, truth.
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote