Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-12-2012, 17:16   #1
houseflipper

Bug into a scavanged area.

Did you ever game play in your head to go where everyone has already been and won't return because the location has been picked clean. We know all the places people want to go that's why maybe you pick a place they all abandoned as a temporary spot till the larger herd thins from starvation,sickness,and the elements.
Let's be honest after 8 weeks the biggest problem you will have is dealing with the smell of decay from the unprepared.
houseflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 17:27   #2
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseflipper View Post
Did you ever game play in your head to go where everyone has already been and won't return because the location has been picked clean. We know all the places people want to go that's why maybe you pick a place they all abandoned as a temporary spot till the larger herd thins from starvation,sickness,and the elements.
Let's be honest after 8 weeks the biggest problem you will have is dealing with the smell of decay from the unprepared.
Sounds like you are the unprepared. If you have to run you are unprepared. If you have to run to “abandoned” place you will find that it is not so abandoned anymore and somebody else is looking at you as an unwelcome intruder.

On every spot you ever stood at looking and thinking “I am going to “bug out” here" at least a dozen guys stood at thinking same thing.

Last edited by Kozel; 11-12-2012 at 17:28..
Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 17:30   #3
houseflipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
Sounds like you are the unprepared. If you have to run you are unprepared. If you have to run to “abandoned” place you will find that it is not so abandoned anymore and somebody else is looking at you as an unwelcome intruder.

On every spot you ever stood at looking and thinking “I am going to “bug out” here" at least a dozen guys stood at thinking same thing.

No I plan on staying home I have everything I need. It was just a mental exercise in create conversation.
Old 11-12-2012, 20:40   #4
cowboy1964

The problem is that new people may continually be visiting any particular spots. How do they know it's been picked clean?

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-12-2012 at 20:40..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 22:47   #5
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

houseflipper, what are you planning for where everyone dies or leaves an area?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:01   #6
Kozel

Do you want an advise from survivor not survivaslist?

When country I lived in fell apart travel outside of cities became the most dangerous thing to do. What can you do when you are rolling down open terrain in the tin can on four balloons?

Tin can loaded with your most prized possessions ripe for the picking for anybody who wants it.

Bail out is suicide.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:06   #7
BR549
Thread Killer

Thanks for sharing your experience. That is an interesting perspective. Please share more.

BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:33   #8
dukeblue91

Quote:
Do you want an advise from survivor not survivaslist?

When country I lived in fell apart travel outside of cities became the most dangerous thing to do. What can you do when you are rolling down open terrain in the tin can on four balloons?

Tin can loaded with your most prized possessions ripe for the picking for anybody who wants it.

Bail out is suicide.
Although I get your point and you are 100% correct in regards to leaving your home, there are always exception to every rule.
And it is fools gold if you are not looking into an alternative.
But generally I agree with you.
dukeblue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 15:05   #9
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeblue91 View Post
Although I get your point and you are 100% correct in regards to leaving your home, there are always exception to every rule.
Sure there are exceptions.
If you driving a tank or armored vehicle to a location that is already secured.

Civility is only skin deep. There is a thug in everyone. Just a couple of missed meals will drive “civilized” people to do very uncivilized things.

Last edited by Kozel; 11-13-2012 at 15:08..
Old 11-13-2012, 19:57   #10
houseflipper

No one wants to leave home but life always will surprise you when you least expect it. Hope my mental exercise never comes to play so the next generation enjoys our way of life.
Old 11-13-2012, 20:16   #11
Aceman

Absolutely considered it. The "bug in" strategy inherently has that as a backup plan. In most situation, mass exodus, followed by mass panic chaos, followed by relative calm. Just need to stay put for part one, get through part two, and then it might be pretty ok.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 22:41   #12
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Stalingrad supported a civilian population through the battle.

I seriously doubt you'll find something picked more clean than that.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:04   #13
dukeblue91

Quote:
Sure there are exceptions.
If you driving a tank or armored vehicle to a location that is already secured.

Civility is only skin deep. There is a thug in everyone. Just a couple of missed meals will drive “civilized” people to do very uncivilized things.

This is not what I meant.
If there is a partial financial collapse and civil unrest due to it, many people will lose their jobs and very quickly won't be able to pay the mortgage or manly rent for the ones that live in apartments.
If it is only a partial collapse the law will still function to a point and you will be evicted extremely fast.
Most people don't have enough savings stashed away to pay more then 2 mos.
That is if hyper inflation hasn't set in, meaning that the $2000 dollars you have under your mattress won't be worth that much for long.

If this happens to you, you will lose everything and be on the street and will most likely fare better in the country then in a concentrated area where everyone is having the same issue.

Like what happened during the great depression law did not cease to exist and evictions where carried out all over the place.

This is not like war where everything around you collapses and where there is an intruding force and all able body men are send to fight and most civil law falls because of not having a police force.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10   #14
dukeblue91

What would be really interesting to mind play is what happens in a black swan event.
When all trading stops and all banks close because of a crash in the system.
In such a event all your savings and cash in a bank or other financial institution will be wiped clean and most likely not given back.
How will things like rent and mortgages be enforced until there is a reset and new financial plan put into motion.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26   #15
Kozel

Quote:
If it is only a partial collapse .
Partial collapse scenario in no longer possible. We went pass that point few years ago.

US literally owes more money then there is money. There may only be about 14 trillions of USDs in existence (digital or printed) but US debt is well over 16 trillions (officially). Realistically US debt is well over 100 trillions.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34   #16
Kozel

Quote:
What would be really interesting to mind play is what happens in a black swan event.
When all trading stops and all banks close because of a crash in the system.
In such a event all your savings and cash in a bank or other financial institution will be wiped clean and most likely not given back.
How will things like rent and mortgages be enforced until there is a reset and new financial plan put into motion.
I lived through an event exactly like that.

Money became worthless overnight. All savings got wiped out. New fiat currency was introduced and crashed in couple of months. On the bright side, everybody became a millionaire.

All major trades went to USDs. US was flying cargo 747s loaded with cash into the country.

What will US go to when (not if) USD becomes worthless?

Last edited by Kozel; 11-14-2012 at 08:36..
Old 11-14-2012, 10:53   #17
B.Reid

Quote:

Money became worthless overnight. All savings got wiped out. New fiat currency was introduced and crashed in couple of months. On the bright side, everybody became a millionaire.

All major trades went to USDs. US was flying cargo 747s loaded with cash into the country.

What country was that?

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:53   #18
dukeblue91

Quote:

Wow what a horrible experience and not something any one person should go through twice.
But I'm still curios how this played out for people that lost their job and were renting during that time.
I too would like to know what country that was in although I think it was somewhere in now Eastern Europe.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:35   #19
Kozel

Quote:
I too would like to know what country that was in although I think it was somewhere in now Eastern Europe.
It was the whole USSR.

In some parts people remained mostly civil. In others, where my relatives lived all out bloodbath broke out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagorno-Karabakh_War

Last edited by Kozel; 11-14-2012 at 12:40..
Old 11-14-2012, 12:50   #20
Kozel

I lived in “civilized’ part. Yeah, crime war rampant, you could get beaten and loose shirt of your back if that shirt looked to be of some value to somebody.

Cops would kick you few more times after you got robed and take anything of value robbers missed.
Massive unemployement and those who did go to work did not get any pay for six month at a time. By the time they did get pay it was worth 1/100 of what it was six month ago.

You eat what you grow. Going to the store became pointless waste of time. Every inch of soil that was not covered by concrete or asphalt became a garden. Mostly potato gardens. Few guns that people did have were readily displayed by people guarding their gardens. Sometimes used.

Fun times.

Last edited by Kozel; 11-14-2012 at 13:06..