Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:25   #1
Ford302Glock21
Chrome Horsie

Send a message via AIM to Ford302Glock21 Send a message via Yahoo to Ford302Glock21

Ok so, G19 G4 vs Walther PPQ

I know these threads have been done but man I can't make up my mind.

So I went down to a local shop and fondled a PPQ, FNP/FNS, and an XDM. I found all of them nice but went in to see the PPQ and came out wanting one.

Yes the PPQ has a nice feeling grip, especially for my short fingers. The trigger felt very impressive. The price is reasonable online. I would like to have one. I'm on the verge of ordering one now a few times but keep backing off.

My thoughts are, that it would make for an excellent range gun and would perform adequately as a defense gun. But, my purposes are truly defense first and last. Yes range shooting is fun but the main reason for range shooting is to practice and prepare for the worst. I realize some people shoot merely for fun and for no other purpose but not the majority of us.

So the thoughts I keep kicking around are that my G19 has huge parts availability, a good service backing, and does everything in a defense role at least as well as the ppq. 33 round mags are always on my list of pros against any other pistol. Sharing of mags, components, holsters with other glock models. Aside from the Gen 4 black eye still healing, the glock does not fit the hand like the PPQ, although a significant improvement for me.

That fantastic PPQ trigger would be no advantage in a close quarters defense scenario I feel. PPQ parts are reported difficult or impossible to acquire. Mags twice the price. Reports of night sights having loose fitment. Reports of poor customer service and turn around times on S&W's part in repairing the walthers(Did some reading on the walther forum). It looks as though they do not take their role seriously in repairing the arms they import from another maker while many report service for S&W arms as excellent.

I really want a PPQ but I can't seem to justify it Plus I could use that same money towards a G4 G23 or 32 once they become less scarce. Help me Tom Cruise!
Ford302Glock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:30   #2
mingaa

Both.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:50   #3
kashdaddy
Glockaholic

Of course, if you ask this on a glock forum then you will get a Glock answer. I would choose the G19 hands down...............once you go glock then you never go back. Since your primary concern is defense then that means reliability and glock has it. Why do you think most of the governmental department choose glock.
G17, G19, G27, G22, G34, G35, G21, AR-15, AK-47, SKS, Mossberg, Benelli, Tec9, Mac10, Dan Wesson, Para Ordnance, Wilson Combat 1911, Kimber .45, S&W, Taurus, Hi-Point, HK, Springfield, CZ, .308 Sniper Rifle, .243 Deer Rifle, Kimber Rifle, Colt .22
kashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:08   #4
Bruce M

Ultimately if you ever had to use it, whichever you shoot best would probably be the best choice. From what you are saying it is posible that whichever fits you bets may als be the one that you shot best.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:49   #5
Gary1911A1

If you can go to a range where you could rent both or just the PPQ and do some shooting I think you'll have your answer. Me I've shot both the PPQ in 9MM I had just purchased that same day next to my Gen 3 Glock 19 with the same ammo, same target and shot the PPQ better on Bill Drills.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:30   #6
Ford302Glock21
Chrome Horsie

Send a message via AIM to Ford302Glock21 Send a message via Yahoo to Ford302Glock21

Well I know this is Glocktalk but honestly I heard lots of raving fans about the PPQ on this very forum. I honestly had never heard of the PPQ till I seen posts about them on GT. I've started leaning towards newer 9mm/40 size pistols for the improved ergos with my shorter fingers. I about refuse to go back to any gen 3 glocks because there is so many good alternatives these days with smaller grips(including the gen 4). If my fingers were a 1/4" longer things would be different. I'd have alot better luck playing my guitar too!

The good thing about the PPQ and other striker pistols is they are close in operation to what I am accustomed to in years of glocks.

Having only dry fired that trigger I believe it is superior for "accuracy" shooting and mag dumping .Its funny they rate it as 5.5 lbs because it feels REALLY light. Hickok 45 also seems to be really impressed with the thing and it looks to work very well in his hands. He has some huge fingers though I tell you what!

I might just go for it as I do believe I need some spice to my selection and not just glocks. Anyone else ever have days where one pistol feels good and the next day it doesnt? Kinda drives me crazy
Old 06-06-2012, 12:34   #7
ctfireman

I just got a PPQ & would urge you to move forward! It is awesome to shoot, feels great in the hand, & the trigger is even better during live fire! make the move!

Rest in peace Okie, your memory will live on forever.
ctfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 13:07   #8
Ford302Glock21
Chrome Horsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfireman View Post
make the move!
Ok ct I am now putting full responsibility for my satisfaction on your shoulders

I got daring and placed my order!
Old 06-06-2012, 13:17   #9
cowboy1964

The Glock is more practical for several reasons as you've noted. It's also a tad easier to carry.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 13:34   #10
bac1023

There's no way I'm buying a Gen 4 in 9mm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 13:40   #11
bklynpete
Viet Nam Vet

I just picked up a PPQ in .40 S&W, and I really like it. I've put through quite a few rounds, and no problems at all. I have a Gen4, G19 that after quite a bit of issues, has now settled down. I use the G19 for competition, put in a Glockmeister trigger kit and the PPQ's trigger feels much better. The whole weapon feels good in my hands, and I too have small fingers. I've been carrying it for a few days now, and with a good holster and belt, no issues. When you finally get yours, and bring it to the range, I bet you will be happy with it. I was with mine. Enjoy!!
bklynpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 13:41   #12
Larry V

Send a message via Yahoo to Larry V
Who did you order it from?
Larry V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 14:22   #13
TSAX
USAF Vet

Rent and shot if possible. Both are great picks. Your right about the parts and mags but I think the PPQ will gain more in popularity and more places will stock their stuff down the road. Glock and 1911s own the after market, factory stuff and mags availability in the market. SW is not as bad as you state from my experience and SA has the best customer service and fixing any issues in the industry bar none.

I love Glocks and I am a Glock first guy, however the PPQ is an awesome gun and it's high (mostly next) on my next to get list. It has it's pros and cons like anything

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 16:06   #14
seattlesetters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
There's no way I'm buying a Gen 4 in 9mm.
Agreed. Even though I freakin' LOVE the G19, there's simply no way I'd buy a Gen 4.

The way I look at, I want the most dependable pistol in my hand if a defensive need ever arises. Right now, Glock is a ways down that list. The extra second or two it takes me to get back on target after naturally flinching as a piece of hot, spent brass comes hurtling toward my eye could be enough time for a BG to put a round in my chest and/or kill one of my loved ones.
seattlesetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 16:10   #15
Rustin

Honestly, I could give a rolling **** about 33 round mags.
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 16:29   #16
Clusterfrack

I would choose the G19. My three Gen 4 Glocks have had none of the ejection problems. My G34 has been perfect from round 1 to over 3000.

I like the PPQ, but having one standard platform is important to me. Glocks are kind of the AR of handguns.
Old 06-06-2012, 16:33   #17
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
I would choose the G19. My three Gen 4 Glocks have had none of the ejection problems. My G34 has been perfect from round 1 to over 3000.
That's encouraging to hear.

Old 06-06-2012, 18:42   #18
checkyoursix

I own a G17 gen 4 and it's a great gun, the best ergos and a really good grip. Shoots very well, 100% reliable. So was my PPQ, but I sold it and kept the P99 AS which I know I will never sell.

The PPQ is a very good gun, but the P99 AS is a superb gun. Just not as fashionable that's all.

Bertrand Russell
checkyoursix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 18:52   #19
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkyoursix View Post
The PPQ is a very good gun, but the P99 AS is a superb gun. Just not as fashionable that's all.
The P99 is outstanding. I have no experience with the PPQ.

Old 06-06-2012, 19:02   #20
checkyoursix

I have found the PPQ very good. I think it's better than the H&K P30 in terms of ( a comparison of the slide release controls would clearly show the difference between a sloppy one and a tight one ), not sure about long term reliability but based on the general Walther track record it should be fantastic.

The trigger is excellent, built almost like a competition trigger very light and crisp with a short positive reset. the grips are not my favorite part, but the comment it's purely in relationship with my hands it should not be read as a criticism.

In the hand though for IDPA I prefer the longer sight radius of a G17' and enjoy the amount of sights, options available for the Glock platform. For CCW and HD its P99 AS all the way for me.

Bertrand Russell
checkyoursix is offline   Reply With Quote