GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 23:34   #1
24601
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 94
CCW with a light...

I'm curious how many of you CCW with a light attached to your glock? carrying around a stand-alone flashlight in your pocket doesn't count....i'm talking x300, tlr-1, etc....

i carry my 32c with x300 as my ccw...
24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 23:36   #2
PrecisionRifleman
Senior Member
 
PrecisionRifleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601 View Post
I'm curious how many of you CCW with a light attached to your glock? carrying around a stand-alone flashlight in your pocket doesn't count....i'm talking x300, tlr-1, etc....

i carry my 32c with x300 as my ccw...
Leave the light at home, and get yourself some decent night sights installed.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
PrecisionRifleman

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 23:41   #3
Gombey
Senior Member
 
Gombey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionRifleman View Post
Leave the light at home, and get yourself some decent night sights installed.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Night sights don't help you identify the target. I can't seem to understand statements like this. But I agree, a set of night sights are a good investment.

As to the op, for CCW I like to carry a flashlight. I don't like the extra hassle of trying to cover up the bulk added by the light.
__________________
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
----
If not me, then who?
Gombey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 00:08   #4
PrecisionRifleman
Senior Member
 
PrecisionRifleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gombey View Post
Night sights don't help you identify the target. I can't seem to understand statements like this. But I agree, a set of night sights are a good investment.

As to the op, for CCW I like to carry a flashlight. I don't like the extra hassle of trying to cover up the bulk added by the light.
If you need a tactical light to identify your target and determine a person to be a threat your in deep crap when it comes time to explain that to the jury. It just doesn't make sense. Seriously leave the dang thing at home....bunch of internet commandos...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
PrecisionRifleman

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 00:17   #5
24601
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionRifleman View Post
If you need a tactical light to identify your target and determine a person to be a threat your in deep crap when it comes time to explain that to the jury. It just doesn't make sense. Seriously leave the dang thing at home....bunch of internet commandos...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Internet commando? Not quite. I am an ex leo though so I've been down roads that most just speculate about. And we have a saying....I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six...

And to everyone else, yes I have a good set of night sights...

ffs....
24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:39   #6
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!
 
TxGlock9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BMT, TX
Posts: 4,740
I don't see how a tac-light wouldn't help. In a defensive situation it would only help.
__________________
My name is John
TxGlock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:51   #7
Police305
Member
 
Police305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 80
Having a Tac-light attached to your CCW is a really good idea. The Tac-light can serve other purposes as well by simply detaching it and using it as a stand alone flashlight!
Police305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:57   #8
Gombey
Senior Member
 
Gombey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionRifleman View Post
If you need a tactical light to identify your target and determine a person to be a threat your in deep crap when it comes time to explain that to the jury. It just doesn't make sense. Seriously leave the dang thing at home....bunch of internet commandos...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
LOL!!! Ok sparky!


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
----
If not me, then who?
Gombey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:13   #9
fuzzy03cls
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,744
Tried it for 6 months. A normal armed citizen that conceals everyday. No LEO, no combat zones, no going looking for trouble.....I could not find a use in my SD needs to carry around a weapon mounted light. I still carried a handheld, & with some training in how to effectively use a handheld if I ever need too in that fashion is far better.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:01   #10
24601
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 94
i'm not knocking anyone on whether they choose to carry an attached light or not....about 15-20% of the time, i detach it for carry for various reasons....there's no doubt that it adds more weight, makes for a bulkier CCW, and is a little harder to conceal due to the added length and/or your choice of clothing due to geographic area/time of year....

but for me personally, those factors above don't bother me and i don't let my geographic area/weather conditions (ie hot as hell) dictate what i carry for my CCW (i live in texas too)

i like having the attached light for a few reasons:
the added weight reduces muzzle flip allowing for faster, accurate follow up shots

it frees up one hand

and worst case scenario with someone on top of you and you being able to only pull off a belly shot, the light gives enough distance between the two of you that the chances of knocking the slide out of battery is, for the most part, nil...
24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:17   #11
PrecisionRifleman
Senior Member
 
PrecisionRifleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy03cls View Post
Tried it for 6 months. A normal armed citizen that conceals everyday. No LEO, no combat zones, no going looking for trouble.....I could not find a use in my SD needs to carry around a weapon mounted light. I still carried a handheld, & with some training in how to effectively use a handheld if I ever need too in that fashion is far better.
Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner here folks.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
PrecisionRifleman

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 14:17   #12
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!
 
TxGlock9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BMT, TX
Posts: 4,740
Different strokes for different folks.
__________________
My name is John
TxGlock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 14:46   #13
Travelin' Jack
Misinformed
 
Travelin' Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 0 . ` ' / . 200
Posts: 1,393
I tried a TLR-1 on my carry gun... way too big.

I do keep a Surefire Minimus head lamp on my person, right next to my Leatherman. I use them both frequently for my job, if I did something else for a living I wouldn't carry either.
Travelin' Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 15:34   #14
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,938
Too much hassle to CCW a weapon light. It limits your holster choices. Plus you have no general-purpose light (I do not recommend pulling your weapon simply to detach a light so you can use it).

Figure out a way to carry a regular light. Mine is attached to the underside of my Safariland 123 mag pouch. Simple and effective.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-13-2012 at 15:43..
cowboy1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 15:49   #15
Tornado_Racing
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601 View Post
i'm not knocking anyone on whether they choose to carry an attached light or not....about 15-20% of the time, i detach it for carry for various reasons....there's no doubt that it adds more weight, makes for a bulkier CCW, and is a little harder to conceal due to the added length and/or your choice of clothing due to geographic area/time of year....

but for me personally, those factors above don't bother me and i don't let my geographic area/weather conditions (ie hot as hell) dictate what i carry for my CCW (i live in texas too)

i like having the attached light for a few reasons:
the added weight reduces muzzle flip allowing for faster, accurate follow up shots

it frees up one hand

and worst case scenario with someone on top of you and you being able to only pull off a belly shot, the light gives enough distance between the two of you that the chances of knocking the slide out of battery is, for the most part, nil...
+1

My daily carry rig (minus spare mags)
G19
Viridian X5L Gen2
General Glocking
General Glocking
Tornado_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 17:06   #16
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!
 
TxGlock9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BMT, TX
Posts: 4,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado_Racing View Post
+1

My daily carry rig (minus spare mags)
G19
Viridian X5L Gen2
General Glocking
General Glocking
very nice..
__________________
My name is John
TxGlock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 17:14   #17
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,145
If I could find an IWB holster that I liked that included space for a light, then I'd put a light on it. So long as it didn't make it too much harder to conceal. But I'd also make sure to carry a regular flashlight, just in case I needed only a light for something.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 22:44   #18
24601
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado_Racing View Post
+1

My daily carry rig (minus spare mags)
G19
Viridian X5L Gen2
General Glocking
General Glocking
nice setup! i see your viridian doesn't stick out as much as the x300....how do you like it? and where did you get your kydex?

General GlockingGeneral GlockingGeneral Glocking
24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 00:27   #19
closetoreality
Member
 
closetoreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
In a real situation a tactical light can be deadly if not used correctly.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
closetoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 00:36   #20
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetoreality View Post
In a real situation a tactical light can be deadly if not used correctly.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
In a real situation, a gun can be deadly if not used correctly.

In a real situation, a knife can be deadly if not used correctly.

In a real situation, a car can be deadly if not used correctly.

In a real situation, a bow can be deadly if not used correctly.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 13:26.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,141
319 Members
822 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42