SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-13-2012, 19:47   #1
jim2037

Send a message via Yahoo to jim2037
Winchester Ranger ammo LE only?

What? I was just looking to buy some ammo and saw on the website that Winchester Ranger Ammo is sold to LE only? I distinctly remember buying this ammo before and had no issues.

Anyone else heard of this and can verify? Im posting a link to the page that says its restricted

Jim

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...=287705&rdf=cu
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" --Samuel Adams
jim2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 19:51   #2
TK-421

SGammo.com will sell you Ranger ammo. I've seen some sites say they will only sell it to LE, while other sites will sell it to the general public. However, I just checked, and the ammo you provided the link for isn't currently available at SGammo. But it might be at some point. http://www.sgammo.com/product/winche...int-ammo-ra45b
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 19:55   #3
SiberianErik

Total BS

PSA and TDS esp are famous for this crap. They have a disclaimer that says something like "Due to an overrun in the amt of ammo needed for the LE agency that ordered it, this is now being passed onto the civilian mkt

All I use in my .45's be it my 1911's or HK's is the 230 G (+p) Win Ranger T's RA45TP stuff.

It is just like the Colt 6920 that has the "For LE use only" roll mark.It is just marketing so the guy that buys the item feels more Tier 1.

I also have the 5.7 MM "Red Box" SS198LF that is LE restricted, in this case it is generally for LE though. Not sure why.
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2
FN PS90SBR/FiveSeven fan#3

Last edited by SiberianErik; 11-13-2012 at 19:59..
SiberianErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 19:55   #4
superspud
Ninja

I've got plenty of it, never had an issue. Ammo to go is where I get mine, a little pricy but I'm in texas so it gets to my house the next day.

Last edited by superspud; 11-13-2012 at 19:55..
superspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 19:56   #5
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

Depends on the store. I've seen it for sale in stores to anyone. Same with blue label guns.
Old 11-13-2012, 20:07   #6
mrmedina
NRA Member

Ask "Hotpig" yourself, he's a GT'er and a great seller too.

Big Dawg #1406, Sub Club #104
Kalashnikov Klub# 1105, Black Rifle Forum #1105
mrmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 20:10   #7
jim2037

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmedina View Post
Ask "Hotpig" yourself, he's a GT'er and a great seller too.
I wasnt aware this site was run by a Gter, Maybe he will check in here and let us know.

Knowing the site is run by one of the glocktalk folks makes me feel better about spending my money there as well
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" --Samuel Adams
Old 11-13-2012, 20:22   #8
TK-421

Well, his .40 Ranger-T is cheaper than SG ammo, so if he'll sell to civvies then he has my business once I get a job and can afford it.
Old 11-13-2012, 20:26   #9
dabigguns357

Try this site,i use them more than most.

www.tds-us.com
dabigguns357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 20:32   #10
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Winchester wants their distributors to restrict their sales to LE only and they don't sell it to your average LGS. My agency uses the stuff and orders it by the case in .40 but if you carry another caliber .45 or 9mm you have to get your own. The officers who do have had to have the ammo shipped to the office. I've tried to find other sources with no luck.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 20:37   #11
mrmedina
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2037 View Post
I wasnt aware this site was run by a Gter, Maybe he will check in here and let us know.

Knowing the site is run by one of the glocktalk folks makes me feel better about spending my money there as well
I never did answer your question, it depends..........Winchester would rather sell only to LE. But dealers can sell to anyone. So as far as I know, right now there is no restrictions of buying this ammo to the public.
Hotpig,can tell you if any states and/or agencies have blocked sales of Win Ranger SXT. As a former LEO myself over seven years retired I do like the ammo, and knew of no restrictions on it.

Big Dawg #1406, Sub Club #104
Kalashnikov Klub# 1105, Black Rifle Forum #1105
mrmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 20:57   #12
Crypsis

Its total bullcrap and not true at all.

In my opinion it is done because they want to sell the smaller 20rd. boxes to civilians for the same amount of money if not more.

I usually only find the 20rd. JHP boxes in big box stores but find the 50rd. boxes online or at police distributors (I am not LEO either).

If they aren't jackhole companies, they will sell you the 50rd. boxes np.
Crypsis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 21:48   #13
CAcop

The LE only aspect of Ranger T series came about because of them originally being Black Talons. In the early years stores got hammered by Winchester for selling to non LE. A uniform store we send our people to sold to the public and Winchester stopped selling them ammo. Another store that actually checked for LE ID kept selling. I don't know if they still do since we issue it these days. In the past we had to buy our own if we wanted something other than state bid. I still have a few boxes of .45 of a 500 round case I bought in 1998.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:55   #14
ray9898

Winchester made that decision when they pulled Black Talons from the consumer market after the blow up in the late 90's which continued on to the SXT line which replaced it. Since they adopted the LE Only practice they must enforce it through their distributors because they are exempt from certain federal taxes on the ammo.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:56   #15
John Rambo
Raven

Why aren't you buying Gold Dots?
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13   #16
jim2037

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Why aren't you buying Gold Dots?
Personal Preference, I guess. Nothing personal against Speer
Old 11-14-2012, 17:03   #17
skeeter1959

CDNN sells tons of Ranger ammo "civies". I have some.
skeeter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 17:41   #18
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Ranger ammo is good ammo. But it's no better/no worse than Gold Dot, HST, etc. Winchester has had this policy for a LONG time (ie, not selling Ranger ammo to non-LE). A few years ago, if Winchester found out a retailer was selling to non-LE, Winchester stopped letting them sell the ammo (I think hotpig ran into this problem when he was selling to non-LE).

I believe *most* of the time when you see it for sale to non-LE, is when it's surplus. ie... A PD bought 10 million rounds, only needed 8 million. The other 2 million gets sold and resold, until it ends up with sellers that can sell it to non-LE.

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 17:48   #19
flw

Some ammo sellers have there own in house guidelines/personal ethics to guide sales policies

Then there are State and local regs.

That's why some do sell quality defense ammo and some don't. They are free to sell within the law and we are free to not give them our money.
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 18:10   #20
Wolfgang

This topic has to come up every few months. It always ends with some fool calling Winchester and says "you know ***** is selling your ammo to civilians?"

Stoopid, just plain stoopid!
Big Dawg #140
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 18:26   #21
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
This topic has to come up every few months. It always ends with some fool calling Winchester and says "you know ***** is selling your ammo to civilians?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qileP4bAzek
Fify, that clip makes it so much better.

Last edited by TK-421; 11-14-2012 at 18:27..
Old 11-15-2012, 05:56   #22
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
Some ammo sellers have there own in house guidelines/personal ethics to guide sales policies

Then there are State and local regs.

That's why some do sell quality defense ammo and some don't. They are free to sell within the law and we are free to not give them our money.
This particular issue has nothing to do with state/local regs. Ranger's are simply JHP's, they have no mythical powers that other JHP's don't have. As long as your locality allows JHP's, then you're fine to own/use Rangers.

This is a WINCHESTER sales policy... if you want to sell their Ranger line, you follow their policy. If you don't want to, you don't sell it. It's very simple.

As was stated earlier, most of the time when you see retailers selling it.. They've bought it second hand (not directly from Winchester). Winchester, several times, has cut off suppliers who were selling Rangers to Non-LE. Actually, if I recall correctly, when hotpig first got started, he was cut off by Winchester for selling to Non-LE.

I like Gold Dots better anyway, but Ranger is good ammo also. Usually 50rd boxes of Gold Dots are pretty easy to find if you look. If I can't find them, I'll live.. I just go get a few 20rd boxes.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:04   #23
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
This particular issue has nothing to do with state/local regs. Ranger's are simply JHP's, they have no mythical powers that other JHP's don't have. As long as your locality allows JHP's, then you're fine to own/use Rangers.
Are you sure about that? I read that Ranger ammo has 99.9999% Stopping Power. Very important!!! I can't depend my life on other ammo that only has 98% Stopping Power.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:01   #24
Spiffums
I.C.P.

I just tell em I'm an emergency zombie hunter and it falls under Homeland Security............