Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:15   #1
pjva04
Snub Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to pjva04
Ambidextrous Carry/Training

Hi there. I recently had a mishap which left me with a broken middle finger and torn ligaments on the middle finger of my shooting hand. The break itself (volar fracture) has healed, but the doctor advised me that the ligaments could take 6 months to a year to heal.

My issue as it pertains to this forum is that I cannot comfortably grip my S&W 442 with factory grips using my shooting hand (right). I have considered one of the Hogue monogrips, but even if comfortable to hold, I worry that the shock of firing it may cause me to drop the gun. At one point in my life I was a fair shot with my left hand, but that was in the Marine Corps with a Beretta M9. I am thinking I should relearn to shoot with my left hand (more than the 5 rounds per 6 months I have done in the past). Do you have any input on ambidextrous training? I may be overthinking it, but I just want to do it right.

Thanks,

Phil
Old 10-19-2012, 20:10   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

I found myself in the same situation a little over 30 years ago, Phil, and it turned out to be a very useful learning experience.

Definitely go ambidex! Manual of arms is the same, and for reloading, the usual right-handed reload will probably work with the middle finger in a splint.

Give it a try, and please come on back and let us here know how it worked for you.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 14:26   #3
pjva04
Snub Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Ayoob View Post
I found myself in the same situation a little over 30 years ago, Phil, and it turned out to be a very useful learning experience.

Definitely go ambidex! Manual of arms is the same, and for reloading, the usual right-handed reload will probably work with the middle finger in a splint.

Give it a try, and please come on back and let us here know how it worked for you.

best,
Mas
Thanks Mas...hitting the range this week on a lunch break. I did buy a Hogue Monogrip to lessen some of the felt recoil and give me some "perceived" control. I still have no problem concealing AIWB under a T-shirt using the Remora Holster I recently picked up...amazing piece of equipment that is...still not sure how it works, but it does...lol
Old 10-29-2012, 13:11   #4
pjva04
Snub Lover

Apologies for not posting how it went...unfortunately, it hasn't happened yet. My father passed last week and I haven't even been to the range...now with preparing for this crazy storm and making funeral arrangements, and being the parent in charge of my daughter's classroom Halloween party, I have no idea when I will get to the range...I promise to post once I do
Old 10-29-2012, 14:05   #5
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Condolences on the loss of your father. I hope you can work through the full plate of responsibilities that has been put in front of you.

best of luck,
Mas
Old 11-16-2012, 12:56   #6
pjva04
Snub Lover

Well, finally got to the range and am able to hold the revolver comfortably with the larger grips I installed (Hogue Monogrip), albeit I definitely "feel it" on the finger I had broken. I still decided to go lefty on a few cylinders and am fairly confident that if my right hand was incapacitated and I was forced to shoot with my left I could stop the assailant by bludgeoning him with the gun....I have some practice ahead of me.
Old 11-16-2012, 19:36   #7
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Heck, bro, we ALL have some practice in front of us!

Kudos to you for being so responsibly concerned with your family to be working on keeping them safe, despite all the recent setbacks.

Best of luck to you,
Mas