SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:55   #1
green marauder
GLOCK MILITIA#1

Is This For Real?

I ran across this video while looking at knife reviews, I did a "quick search" and it seems like it might be true, but i have my doubts and I sure aint trying it. enjoy. tell us what you think.
Pennsylvania Glockers #241
green marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02   #2
Jim Watson

It is legal for you to build a firearm by yourself for yourself, assuming it is a type you may legally possess in the first place. No DIY machine guns.
Under federal law, that is. Some repressive state or local jurisdictions do not allow it.

You may not sell it, you may not contract the making of the receiver out to somebody else because that would make him a manufacturer, who has to be licensed and taxed.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:33   #3
green marauder
GLOCK MILITIA#1

I guess the only thing your gaining is a gun without a serial number, it cant be any cheaper. Who sells the unmilled receiver or do you have to make that too. I've seen lots of plans to make the bent sheetmetal AK receiver.
Pennsylvania Glockers #241
green marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:42   #4
krisspy

Quote:
Originally Posted by green marauder View Post
I guess the only thing your gaining is a gun without a serial number, it cant be any cheaper. Who sells the unmilled receiver or do you have to make that too. I've seen lots of plans to make the bent sheetmetal AK receiver.
Ares (the company that made the video) sells the 80% receivers.
krisspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:45   #5
ThinkMud

Interesting. Sounds like it would be fun. I'd like to see an aluminum unmilled Glock frame!

-Semper Fi
ThinkMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:05   #6
Jim Watson

I think you have to be pretty paranoid to go to that much trouble for an "unregistered" gun.
No way you are going to save money on it.

The only real reason is to exercise your machine tool operating skill on a usable product.
Old 11-14-2012, 14:02   #7
NW-Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by green marauder View Post
The AK build was the cheapest way to own a AK until the ATF banned the import of barrels with the kits. The cost of tooling for the first build is quite a bit, but after you build a couple it becomes a wash.

I will be machining an AR lower when I get a mill... someday. Also want to build a 1919A4 kit, PPSH41 kit, and others. The possibilities are endless when you have a proper machining setup.

Homebuilds are more for the hobby/challenge, and not for saving money. The no serial# thing is just a bonus.
NW-Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 18:32   #8
RonS

Cost less than a pulling tractor, muscle car, homebuilt plane or boat and takes up less space. What's not to like? Some people just got to make stuff.
Old 11-14-2012, 20:19   #9
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I think you have to be pretty paranoid to go to that much trouble for an "unregistered" gun.
If your state requires registration, wouldn't you have to do so anyway?

If you live in one of the vast majority of states that does not have registration, you can just do what most people do and buy face to face privately.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 20:22   #10
ThinkMud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
Cost less than a pulling tractor, muscle car, homebuilt plane or boat and takes up less space. What's not to like? Some people just got to make stuff.
agreed

-Semper Fi
ThinkMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 22:33   #11
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

It's 100% legal to make and own, but you cannot sell it since it has no serial number. I've made 2 AK 80% receiver guns, 1 blank AK receiver gun and an 80% AR receiver, all with perfect results.

The AKs used to be a lot cheaper to make when the kits were around $75 - $150 and the barrels weren't cut.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 11-14-2012 at 22:33..
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 13:48   #12
poodleplumber

Interesting. I was under the impression that it was illegal, at least in my state, to possess a firearm without a serial number; when I check the wording of the statue, however, it is illegal to possess a firearm whose manufacturer's serial number has been removed. I was not aware that a firearm which never had a serial number was legal.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote