Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-18-2012, 21:23   #1
Foxtrotx1

Got a Colt Revo, What do I have?

My aunt in kommifornia was a reserve police officer back in the 70's.

She has had this gun the whole time, has not been used in 30 years. I'm supposed to test fire it for a few months and make sure it's good to go. (oh the agony ) Besides the obvious, a Colt Agent. What is it? I only have a Smith 317 for revolvers, so I'm lost.

No external rust, but some red oil leaked out after spraying it. Everything seems ok BUT....

the cylinder takes almost 2 hands to open and close. It's like it's too tight? Ill pop her open tomorrow and check it out.

Trigger is a Dream.

I'm gonna shoot her at 25 yards off hand for accuracy this weekend with some 158s.

General Firearms Forum

http://s1192.beta.photobucket.com/us...00013.jpg.html

http://s1192.beta.photobucket.com/us...00014.jpg.html

Thanks for the help guys.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 21:33   #2
Deaf Smith

A COLT AGENT! Good little snubby. I have the Colt Cobra version.

Yours is the third gen model I think. Shrouded ejector rod is the hint.

Use ONLY standard velociity ammo. No +P! No hot loads.

Buffalo bore makes a 158gr LSWHP just for aluminum snubs. 850 fps from a 2 inch. Great carry ammo.

But otherwise use the old 158gr lead round nose 'widdow makers' (no it didn't make the bad guys wives widdows... it made the GOOD guys wives widdows as the rounds are not real effective.)

Deaf
Old 11-18-2012, 21:35   #3
Jim Watson

If the cylinder is tight to open or binds in rotation, clean out from under the extractor. It only takes a few unburnt granules to affect the close clearances of a revolver.
Old 11-18-2012, 21:36   #4
countrygun

Great gun.

My guess is that, if the ejector rod isn't backed out, and it doesn't appear to have ever been disassembled by Bubba, you have old lube that has turned to shellac in crane. Since you are not familiar with revolvers or Colts I would suggest you find a good gunsmith to give it a cleaning. A gun with a family history deserves to be treated well.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 00:03   #5
bac1023

Very nice

Congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:22   #6
Foxtrotx1

I have done a complete spring change on a smith J frame, so I don't think opening up the side plate on the colt should be trouble after watching some videos. If it is dried up in side ill get the gunk out and see if that fixes the crane issue.

If not, going to the gunsmith. Can anyone recommend some smiths for Colts? Maybe even here in Phoenix?

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:35   #7
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrotx1 View Post
I have done a complete spring change on a smith J frame, so I don't think opening up the side plate on the colt should be trouble after watching some videos. If it is dried up in side ill get the gunk out and see if that fixes the crane issue.

If not, going to the gunsmith. Can anyone recommend some smiths for Colts? Maybe even here in Phoenix?
It will be a bit of an experience for you open her up. While, on the outside, S&Ws and Colts do the same thing, the operating principles are very dissimilar. S&Ws use seperate springs for each function. Colt's tend to use one spring and the fit and interaction between the parts to accomplish the misssion. Colts are generally a marvel in engineering.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:40   #8
DPris

Qualified Colt gunsmiths competent to work on the old V-Spring actions have all but disappeared.
That's the problem inherent in owning & shooting one.
That action is more complicated to understand & work on than a Smith.

Local people may say they're good with that Colt, but many who do end up just butchering them.
Colt factory is your best bet, but that'll involve shipping expenses.

If ALL you tell a local guy to do is clean & lube, you have a shot at getting it back in good shape. Mechanically, they're not all that hard to get open & to clean internally.
Just be very carefull about anybody you leave it with for anything beyond basic cleaning.
Denis
DPris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 13:09   #9
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

That's a nice looking Agent. Mine is the crappy 1980s union worker dispute run.

General Firearms Forum
Old 11-19-2012, 13:17   #10
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
That's a nice looking Agent. Mine is the crappy 1980s union worker dispute run.

OUCH!!!

Does it have "Union Made" stamped anywhere on the gun??? Lotta' pride went into that unit.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:50   #11
ca survivor

Congrats!
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:15   #12
Baba Louie

Quote:
Lotta' pride went into that unit.
This is an astute observation actually, if not for the reason intended.

Some Colt employees (management scabs?) kept production alive while the turmoil of the strike went on all around them. I like to think that those few who manned the line during that time took some pride in their efforts, each being a piece of Colt's long history keeping their doors open and line running.

Try to find one of their Peacekeepers of that era (86-90) and see the value now placed on the limited run, finish notwithstanding.

What was interesting was to read the complany spin on why they produced them in this fashion. Never mentioned the strike IIRC.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 13:37   #13
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Talk to Colt itself, or Cylinder & Slide.

Colt smiths are few and far between these days. They do NOT run like S&Ws, and tend to go out of time more.

Also, that's the Colt equivalent of a J-frame, i.e firefight in a crowded elevator gun.

A 25 yard range test even off the bench with that short sight radius will just annoy you.

Group at 10, shoot another at 15 and THEN maybe go to 25 on single action.

They can be amazingly accurate but the short sights mean they are very unforgiving.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 14:43   #14
DPris

Colt would be the quickest bet.
Those custom shops that work on them like Cunningham and C&S are backlogged & you can count on over a year return time.
Colt, as long as they continue to be able to service them, will be faster.
Denis
DPris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 16:38   #15
WiskyT
Malcontent

You don't have to take it apart to get varnish out of it. Any good solvent will penetrate into the workings and loosen them up. If that doesn't do it, then something may be bent etc. I'd clean it and let a liberal amount of solvent flow through it for a few days before I got it all boxed up to send out.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 18:21   #16
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
If the cylinder is tight to open or binds in rotation, clean out from under the extractor. It only takes a few unburnt granules to affect the close clearances of a revolver.
2 other possibilities:

If she shot it a lot with lead target ammo (probably did), the front of the cylinder can get so caked with lead that it will stop turning and be hard to open. I went through the police academy when we used revolvers and we used razor blades on the cleaning bench to scrape lead off the cyliners between runs on the range.

With S&W revolvers, I have also seen the ejector rod loosen until it would bind the cylinder and make it very hard to shoot or open. It's a very common problem. I don't recall seeing that with a Colt, but most people here shoot S&W - I imagine it can happen.

Last edited by Bren; 11-23-2012 at 18:22..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote