Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-14-2012, 15:47   #1
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Did I waste my money?

Picked up a DPMS Oracle this morning. One mag and a cheap CenterPoint "tactical" red or green cross hair optic. The scope will be transferred to one of my .22s.

522.50 OTD.

Anyone have one of these guns?
Old 11-14-2012, 16:25   #2
Bruce M

My guess is that it would be fairly easy to get $522 back out of that or double that if another assault weapons ban happens to be passed.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 16:30   #3
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
My guess is that it would be fairly easy to get $522 back out of that or double that if another assault weapons ban happens to be passed.
I assumed that; I was just wondering if the DPMS as it sits is as good as the more prevalent (around here) Bushmaster.

Last edited by BamaTrooper; 11-14-2012 at 16:31..
BamaTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 16:42   #4
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
I assumed that; I was just wondering if the DPMS as it sits is as good as the more prevalent (around here) Bushmaster.
From what I've seen, when it comes to popularity of brands ans such, forums tend to develop their own personality there are probably other forums that have them reversed in prefrence. I had a Bushmaster for a while no big thrill somebody offered me a crazy deal during the first Obama panic and away it went.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 17:03   #5
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Do a search.

Quote:
I don't think I've heard this phrase before.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 11-14-2012 at 17:04..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:09   #6
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Do a search.

I don't think I've heard this phrase before.
What I meant was, our department issues Bushmasters, the local Sheriff issues Bushmasters and most of the individualy owned guns ARs are Bushmasters.

I rarely see Colt, have never seen a LMT, and only see Double Star at the gun shows. Rock Rivers are fairly rare as well. Granted, I don't know everyone around here but with DPMS starting to sell at WalMart, for about 2/3 the price the Colt, I expect to see more of them around. Hell, my neighbor called me in a panic because he wanted an "Urban Combat Rifle" and was standing in WalMart in front of the black-rifle rack. He ended up getting a DPMS.

As long as this thing doesn't fall apart and can stay on target out to about 150 yds, it will do for waht I want it for.

Oh...Search Smearch
Old 11-15-2012, 10:13   #7
Foxtrotx1

I have a DPMS upper on one of my rifles.

It's ok for the range but if I had to pick a gun out of my safe to defend against an intruder, would not be my DPMS.

Eagle Scout.

Last edited by Foxtrotx1; 11-15-2012 at 10:13..
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:39   #8
deputy tom

That doesn't sound like a waste of your money to me. Take it out and shoot it until it quits or you do.Good luck and report back.tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:23   #9
bmoore

I would have spent my 522 bucks toward something else, but hey you got it so enjoy it. Put an H buffer and a heavier M16 bolt carrier group in it like a BCM or LMT and it will probably shoot a little smoother and you will have the peace of mind of a quality BCG in it since that is the heart of the rifle.

Last edited by bmoore; 11-15-2012 at 11:23..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:39   #10
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
What I meant was, our department issues Bushmasters, the local Sheriff issues Bushmasters and most of the individualy owned guns ARs are Bushmasters.

I rarely see Colt, have never seen a LMT, and only see Double Star at the gun shows. Rock Rivers are fairly rare as well. Granted, I don't know everyone around here but with DPMS starting to sell at WalMart, for about 2/3 the price the Colt, I expect to see more of them around. Hell, my neighbor called me in a panic because he wanted an "Urban Combat Rifle" and was standing in WalMart in front of the black-rifle rack. He ended up getting a DPMS.

As long as this thing doesn't fall apart and can stay on target out to about 150 yds, it will do for waht I want it for.

Oh...Search Smearch
That is exactly how DPMS sells so many rifles.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 11-15-2012, 12:10   #11
bmoore

Quote:

Oh...Search Smearch
Sucks for you neighbor. He shoulda bought the Colt at Wally. DPMS is a plinker, not an urban combat rifle.

Last edited by bmoore; 11-15-2012 at 12:11..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:40   #12
jollygreen

It comes down to how much you'll be shooting it. DPMS isn't built as well as some and isn't designed for shooting the same number of rounds as say, a Colt.

For the purely occasional shooter it's fine.
Old 11-15-2012, 13:00   #13
Genin
Designated Left

You're fine with the DPMS. There is a large undercurrent of elitism amongst armchair commando types when it comes to AR-15s. I have yet to see any evidence that shows an off the shelf Colt, LMT, etc will shoot more rounds than an off the shelf DPMS, Bushy, etc. before either needs a new bolt or minor repairs. Enjoy your gun.
Genin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 13:02   #14
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genin View Post
You're fine with the DPMS. There is a large undercurrent of elitism amongst armchair commando types when it comes to AR-15s. I have yet to see any evidence that shows an off the shelf Colt, LMT, etc will shoot more rounds than an off the shelf DPMS, Bushy, etc. before either needs a new bolt or minor repairs. Enjoy your gun.
I have seen evidence that a DPMS is more likely to malfunction.

Old 11-15-2012, 13:12   #15
Genin
Designated Left

Hey Warp,
Did you personally witness the malfunctions or could you point me in the direction of the article, publication, etc.? I am asking seriously and am not being a smart ass. I just honestly have never seen any valid conclusive information at all pertaining to this brand tier crap. I did see something on arfcom that was pretty funny where M&Ps were put against Colts and the M&Ps performed better. That cause insane amounts of butt hurt hahaha. Once again, it was a very small sample size so not really valid evidence but goes against what most claim.

I understand that people will always try to justify their purchase, no matter what. Those who buy very expensive ARs will swear up and down that the cheaper brands will break and crumble to pieces in the shooter's hands. Those who buy the cheaper brands swear that they saved so much on a gun that will shoot just as long as the others and it's just money spent on a roll mark. I'm not much of a gear guru so I tend to agree with the bargain buyers. Hell I buy Glocks too!

I would love that evidence though. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2012, 13:24   #16
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Hey Warp,
Did you personally witness the malfunctions or could you point me in the direction of the article, publication, etc.? I am asking seriously and am not being a smart ass. I just honestly have never seen any valid conclusive information at all pertaining to this brand tier crap. I did see something on arfcom that was pretty funny where M&Ps were put against Colts and the M&Ps performed better. That cause insane amounts of butt hurt hahaha. Once again, it was a very small sample size so not really valid evidence but goes against what most claim.

I understand that people will always try to justify their purchase, no matter what. Those who buy very expensive ARs will swear up and down that the cheaper brands will break and crumble to pieces in the shooter's hands. Those who buy the cheaper brands swear that they saved so much on a gun that will shoot just as long as the others and it's just money spent on a roll mark. I'm not much of a gear guru so I tend to agree with the bargain buyers. Hell I buy Glocks too!

I would love that evidence though. Thanks in advance.
I witnessed them.

I have only shot next to a rifle that I knew was DPMS twice. Normally I don't pay any attention to what people are shooting. The first time was at my local indoor range. I was shooting my AR and the guy next to me came over to ask if I knew about them, etc, because his was jammed and he couldn't fix it. A round of Remington brass case .223 was jammed into the chamber. It wasn't about to come out easily, and I didn't want to beat on another person's gun. A range employee beat the buttstock into the bench until it eventually freed.

The other time was maybe a month ago. I was at an Appleseed (I instruct with them) shooting my AR next to another instructor whom I know. We were both shooting Federal Lake City XM855. He 'warned' me about occasional duds he was getting with that ammo. I have never had a round fail to fire in my rifle, and I hadn't heard of any problems like that with XM855. He said he had just had 2 of his last 5 fail to fire, and that he has that happen from time to time with that ammo. He put those two back through his rifle and one of them again failed.

So I put that one through my rifle and it fired, same as every other round has. (I have since had one failure to feed, which after research I 100% blame on the 20 round PMAG I was using...I have 1,600+ rounds through my rifle)

I also learned something, because he was totally happy with his DPMS and as far as he was concerned it was 100%, because he blamed the Federal XM855 for being faulty. I see things differently.

Last edited by Warp; 11-15-2012 at 13:27..
Old 11-15-2012, 13:42   #17
Genin
Designated Left

Thank you for sharing that Warp. I see what you're saying about the perception as well.
Old 11-15-2012, 13:51   #18
bmoore

Quote:
Old 11-15-2012, 13:53   #19
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

While on the topic, the other malfunctioning ARs I saw recently (this past weekend...I did a match and an appleseed) were ammo related. I saw three ARs malfunction, two I blame on the steel case tulammo (stuck in chamber) and one I blame on the reloads

Last edited by Warp; 11-15-2012 at 13:53..
Old 11-15-2012, 13:53   #20
Genin
Designated Left

^^see told you

*edited to add: that was for bmoore*

Last edited by Genin; 11-15-2012 at 13:54..