SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:51   #1
badge315

Tasered while trying to extinguish fire

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/a...e-burning-home

In a nutshell, the guy was trying to keep his house from burning down with a garden hose and police ordered him to stop, then zapped him when he refused. On its face it sounds outrageous, but I have a nagging suspicion that something is being left out of the story. What do you guys think? Was this an inappropriate use of force?

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:06   #2
Phaze5ive

It's the agents of a nanny state: protecting citizens from themselves.

"That's what insurance is for!"
Phaze5ive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:09   #3
Bren
NRA Life Member

Hard to say, but I can tell you that, under KY law, they could (maybe) arrest him for that. However, he'd still win the civil suit.

Quote:
525.060 Disorderly conduct in the second degree.
(1) A person is guilty of disorderly conduct in the second degree when in a public place and with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm, or wantonly creating a risk thereof, he:
(c) Refuses to obey an official order to disperse issued to maintain public safety in dangerous proximity to a fire, hazard, or other emergency; or

Last edited by Bren; 11-14-2012 at 13:10..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:11   #4
Hawkeye16

I'd be suing that department for sure. I can see them trying to keep him safe or whatever, but damn. At least let him help till the fire department gets there.

Some things cannot be replaced by insurance.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Hawkeye16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:14   #5
TK-421

It's one of those things where criminally they're in the right. The cops told him to stop, he didn't, therefore he can get in trouble. But in this case, civilly they'd be in the wrong, as the story stands. However, I'm with you badge, I have this nagging suspicion that something is being left out. I honestly can't think of why the cops would taser him. However, I'm not a cop, I don't think we have the full story, and I bet they had good reason to do so.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:22   #6
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Maybe he didn't wish to create joinder with them...

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:25   #7
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Hmmm, sorry but I smell a law suit on the horizon. First he's on private property (HIS) and he is trying to save said private property (again HIS), at least minimize the damage until the fire department arrives. The cops tell HIM to stop saving HIS property/investment... I would have done the same, FU, you're not paying for it, you're not the one responsible for it and you sure and ******* aren't helping me save it so back the F off.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:34   #8
SMOKEin

Odd. Any police officer that I know, would have been helping get water on the roof.
Old 11-14-2012, 13:36   #9
Altaris

If he was trying to run into a house that is engulfed in flames, I could see it being justified to restrain him (tackle or taser) to save his life. To do that when he is just spraying water on the outside of his house while standing outside I just don't get.
Either there is some key piece of info missing, or the officers were way out of line and deserve a civil suit on this one.
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:37   #10
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

At least the cop went home safe, that's all that matters!.......
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

8-Ball
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:38   #11
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEin View Post
Odd. Any police officer that I know, would have been helping get water on the roof.
That just made me think of something. Maybe they were protecting their unions. It's the firefighters job to put out the fire, and that homeowner is probably not part of the union, so that is why he wasn't allowed to do it. That would be why they didn't help either
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:43   #12
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Hard to say, but I can tell you that, under KY law, they could (maybe) arrest him for that. However, he'd still win the civil suit.

Quote:
525.060 Disorderly conduct in the second degree.
(1) A person is guilty of disorderly conduct in the second degree when in a public place and with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm, or wantonly creating a risk thereof, he:
(c) Refuses to obey an official order to disperse issued to maintain public safety in dangerous proximity to a fire, hazard, or other emergency; or
How would this apply to a private property owner on their own property?

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:45   #13
MAC702

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Captain Forseth said the department will not be charging him.
Gee, I wonder why. God forbid this see a criminal court in addition to the civil court.
Quote:
Captain Forseth with the Pinellas Park Police Department said they exhausted all other options, and that their goal was to keep Daniel and the officers safe from the fire.
First, they have no duty to protect Daniel. But they only let us know this when it is convenient to them. Their officers were ONLY in danger (and even then probably not) BECAUSE of their insistence on being obeyed when they had no right to insist. I don't think it was a lawful order. Should one be required to watch his house burn down so he can file a complaint through the proper channels?

Second, which is more dangerous, being close enough to a guy putting out a fire to order him to stop; or getting close enough to Tase him so you can drag him away?

Interestingly, in some parts of this country, the fire department also can stand by and watch your house burn if you haven't pre-paid for their protection.

It's probably illegal that I have my own fire hose, hydrant wrench, and the knowledge on how to use them.

Last edited by MAC702; 11-14-2012 at 13:46..
MAC702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:53   #14
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
It's one of those things where criminally they're in the right. The cops told him to stop, he didn't, therefore he can get in trouble. But in this case, civilly they'd be in the wrong, as the story stands. However, I'm with you badge, I have this nagging suspicion that something is being left out. I honestly can't think of why the cops would taser him. However, I'm not a cop, I don't think we have the full story, and I bet they had good reason to do so.

Old 11-14-2012, 13:58   #15
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind too.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 14:40   #16
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
Interestingly, in some parts of this country, the fire department also can stand by and watch your house burn if you haven't pre-paid for their protection.
Could be worse.

The Okie Corral
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 14:43   #17
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

They secured a potential arson suspect.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 16:22   #18
RonS

Open carry would have prevented this. Well, the tasering anyway.

I am afraid that I would not react well to this situation if I were the homeowner.

Back in the late 30's my wife's mother was with a group of teens in Oklahoma who came upon an accident on a rural road. While they were attempting to extricate the victim an official arrived and took control of the scene and ordered them away from the vehicle to await the arrival of an ambulance, eventually drawing a weapon when they attempted to continue working to get him out.

Then they all stood around and watched him burn to death.

That story has stuck with me for more than 30 years since I first heard it from her mom. It was fresh in her mind 40 years after it happened.

Mindless rules are for ants.
Old 11-14-2012, 16:38   #19
Phaze5ive

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post

red
I'm pretty sure he cited the wrong reason. My take, and I'm no lawyer. is that it's illegal to take a life, even if that life is yours. So I'm guessing if the cop can prove that his (the victim's) actions were "suicidal" or that he (victim) was recklessly endangering his own life, the cop had justification to use any means necessary to stop him.

I've heard of cops shooting suspects threatening to kill themselves with a knife before.

Last edited by Phaze5ive; 11-14-2012 at 16:39..
Phaze5ive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 16:46   #20
Resqu2

Had the guy been trying to enter the house then I'm all for the taser, most people don't understand how quick smoke will take you out. My Dept. was called to a house fire that I was real close to but many miles from my Dept so I went straight to the fire to await the trucks. A good size lady was screaming her cat was inside, smoke was close to the floor but no visible fire. I tried to keep her out but nope, she rushed in the door and within seconds she collapsed in the first room. I was able to crawl in and drag her out and we both ended up getting treated for smoke inhalation.

If the guy was just trying to spray water on the outside then they should of been helping him. I'd like to know the rest of the story but the guy seems to be telling the truth.
Resqu2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 16:51   #21
Resqu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post

red
Not sure about anywhere else but if its on fire when the FD arrives its no longer your house till we clear the scene. Not sure why the LEO were there to begin with, they only respond with us if ask.
Resqu2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 16:55   #22
costanza187
I like Macs

I can definitely see a lawsuit over this one.
Old 11-14-2012, 17:16   #23
ray9898

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19_AJ View Post
At least the cop went home safe, that's all that matters!.......

We had one in GA Monday that didn't. Got ran over trying to help a stranded motorist. Hope it makes you happy that he " didn't go home safe".
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 17:26   #24
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
We had one in GA Monday that didn't. Got ran over trying to help a stranded motorist. Hope it makes you happy that he " didn't go home safe".
Way to mis-characterize a post! You should apply to law school or perhaps consider a career in journalism.

Regards,
Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 11-14-2012 at 17:28..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 17:54   #25
boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
Disregard Mr. Happy, please.

We all sympathize and and are sorry for your loss.

Everybody here agrees that LEO's have an important job, and values their contribution to our civil society.
boozer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2nd chance to validate, 2nd offer to prove self, fire, home, piss off, taser