GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 18:52   #76
F14Scott
CLM Number 283
Luggage
 
F14Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 3,993


Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Navy officer Lt. Kara Hultgren was rushed into the seat of a Tomcat to satifsy feminist ideological dictates and she lost her life. This abuse of legitimate womens' desire to contribute on par with men will be repeated with every Radical Left government we elect.
BTW, I knew Kara. She was a friend of mine, a class behind me at the RAG in 1992. She was a great person and a fine officer. She would easily be the exception to many of the generalities about women others and I have posted. She was smart, very big and strong, funny, humble, and she could dish it out as well as she could take it. Just a great addition to the ready room.

She was also a decent pilot, with a lot of hours in the EA-6B. What she wasn't, though, was a up-to-par Tomcat pilot at the boat (the very hardest flying gig in naval aviation). Her instructors and all of us students knew it, just as we all knew about all of our own strengths and weaknesses. The instructors tried to DQ her, but the senior navy leadership, under political pressure to put women in the cockpit, gave her extra remediation and training until she managed to scrape over the bar. If she were a man, she would have washed out, as many of her peers did.

On that day behind Lincoln, the Navy's attempt at gender integration killed her and almost killed her RIO, who ejected 0.4 seconds before she did and lived. She had skidded a wrapped-up start at her pass, blanking and snuffing her port motor, and had then frozen at the controls, failing to execute the proper single-engine waveoff flyaway procedures. She was in over her head in that jet.

She was a great gal, and the world is a lesser place without her.
__________________
If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
F14Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 18:55   #77
CBennett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PA/Covered by LEOSA
Posts: 10,984
Ive ALWAYS thought that for ANY combat MOS that the Physical requirements should be EXACTLY THE SAME...no womens set and mens set....you can either pass them or you cant..if you cant you get recycled or have the option to go to a new NON-combat MOS or get a general discharge that can become honorable after a certain time. But if you cant meet 1 set of standards GT*O!
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 23:32   #78
pizza_pablo
USN Retired
 
pizza_pablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Western WA
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Reading has never been one of your strong suites eh?
JERK!
I didn't go thru the entire thread. Just threw in my 2 pennies and split.
__________________
If liberals don't want us to treat every Muslim like a terrorist, why do they treat every gun owner like the Newtown shooter?
pizza_pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 23:44   #79
AngryPanda
Is he a troll?
 
AngryPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,066
I can think of several women I would rather take to a fight than most of you jokes.
__________________
Impressive list of guns I own, some of which are in BOLD LETTERS
Quote from 16 year old chain e-mail I received yesterday that will never get tiresome!
AngryPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 23:45   #80
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 54,810


So...two chicks out of two chicks that made the attempt didn't make it. Big deal.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:07   #81
Big Bird
NRA Life Member
 
Big Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
So...two chicks out of two chicks that made the attempt didn't make it. Big deal.
If you read the article it also says they haven't been able to find any more volunteers to continue the test.
__________________
Big Bird,

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:43   #82
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 54,810


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
If you read the article it also says they haven't been able to find any more volunteers to continue the test.
I read the article.

If there are no more officer chicks sign up to do the course, then there are no more officer chicks sign up to do the course.

No big deal one way or another.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:00   #83
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Chuck TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 6,331
Four pages and nobody asked if they are hot?
__________________
"Come and Take it!" - Texans, October 2, 1835
Chuck TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08   #84
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic
 
Diesel McBadass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,879
The way military judges upper body strentgh is a joke. Amount of push ups is a stupid test. I know tiny guys who can do a million push ups but barely bench the bar. How about tests with set amounts of weight?
__________________
Rest In Peace Silent_Runner.
Diesel McBadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:58   #85
Paul7
New Guy
 
Paul7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East of Eden
Posts: 13,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by F14Scott View Post
BTW, I knew Kara. She was a friend of mine, a class behind me at the RAG in 1992. She was a great person and a fine officer. She would easily be the exception to many of the generalities about women others and I have posted. She was smart, very big and strong, funny, humble, and she could dish it out as well as she could take it. Just a great addition to the ready room.

She was also a decent pilot, with a lot of hours in the EA-6B. What she wasn't, though, was a up-to-par Tomcat pilot at the boat (the very hardest flying gig in naval aviation). Her instructors and all of us students knew it, just as we all knew about all of our own strengths and weaknesses. The instructors tried to DQ her, but the senior navy leadership, under political pressure to put women in the cockpit, gave her extra remediation and training until she managed to scrape over the bar. If she were a man, she would have washed out, as many of her peers did.

On that day behind Lincoln, the Navy's attempt at gender integration killed her and almost killed her RIO, who ejected 0.4 seconds before she did and lived. She had skidded a wrapped-up start at her pass, blanking and snuffing her port motor, and had then frozen at the controls, failing to execute the proper single-engine waveoff flyaway procedures. She was in over her head in that jet.

She was a great gal, and the world is a lesser place without her.
Political correctness kills.

People here can cite exceptions of great, qualified women combat soldiers, but that's what they are, exceptions.
__________________
“I don’t believe that people should be able to own guns.” Obama to John R. Lott Jr. in a private conversation at the University of Chicago.

Last edited by Paul7; 11-15-2012 at 08:59..
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:57   #86
Big Bird
NRA Life Member
 
Big Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
The way military judges upper body strentgh is a joke. Amount of push ups is a stupid test. I know tiny guys who can do a million push ups but barely bench the bar. How about tests with set amounts of weight?
Marines also do pull-ups.
__________________
Big Bird,

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59   #87
aplcr0331
SortaHeuristic
 
aplcr0331's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPanda View Post
I can think of several women I would rather take to a fight than most of you jokes.
What kind of fight? Are we talking trigger pulling fights? Hand to hand?

I've served in three branches of the military for the last 14 years and I've never met a woman I'd rather have in a fight over a male military member. But, there are probably some exceptions out there.

For the record I think that women should be given every opportunity at all combat MOS's. I'm a big fan of unintended consequences. Those are my favorite. Let them try everything they want. Heavy Machinegunner? Have at it. Foot Soldier? Kickass. Ranger...pass the indoc. SF? By all means. Lets see what happens.
__________________
You secretly read your kid's email and Facebook accounts, but have never once read the kid's math book. "Oh, ha ha, I don't remember all that math!" Idiot, could you at least pretend it's important?
aplcr0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:14   #88
Carrys
Inquisitive
 
Carrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Green Country
Posts: 13,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Political correctness kills.

People here can cite exceptions of great, qualified women combat soldiers, but that's what they are, exceptions.
Now you've done it.

How dare you speak the truth?

People don't want to know/hear the truth, they would much rather live their dreams.
__________________
If Men Won't Even Obey Their Govt.......What Makes Anyone Believe They Will Obey Their God?

Men Seem To Think Their God Is Like Their Govt.......He Is Supposed To Give Them Things, Not Ask Anything Of them.
Carrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:12   #89
AK_Stick
AAAMAD
 
AK_Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alaska, again (for now)
Posts: 20,171
Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
The way military judges upper body strentgh is a joke. Amount of push ups is a stupid test. I know tiny guys who can do a million push ups but barely bench the bar. How about tests with set amounts of weight?


Those are the basics, most infantry/combat arms units have more stringent/extra requirements.
__________________
Quote:
Thomas Paine:

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:42   #90
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Senior Member
 
Obi-Wan Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kenai, AK
Posts: 221
Regarding women having superior reflexes and motor skills: is this why sports like ipsc and bowling have separate gender leagues- to protect the men from getting thrashed?

Give me a break. The story about the f14 fatality is infuriating. As a civilian pilot, I have seen the same PC garbage. Lowering standards for any protected group is immoral. It's unfair to the people who they put at risk, and to the people who have to pull their slack. If a woman can meet the bar, great. If not, do something else, and quit blowing smoke about nonsensical female ninja-skills. Somebody has been watching too many movies.
Obi-Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 13:20   #91
acorn42047
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
Swimming is obviously critical for a SEAL. When's the last time you saw an infantryman save his ass in a firefight by dropping and doing 20 pushups, however?

You are assuming that the current PT standards, standards that ignore critical traits like hand-eye coordination and reaction time, are the be-all and end-all of measuring infantry potential.

I don't think they are.

Personally, I feel that the military PT standards are long overdue to be shifted to a system that stresses overall physical conditioning as well as fine motor skills and coordination, rather than just upper body strength and the ability to crank out sit-ups.
I see your argument and it has a some merit. While a woman has better fine motor skills which is a factor in marksmanship, infantry Soldiers do not appear in combat fire a few well placed shots and disappear. They hump their gear in dig foxholes and fight for hours on end with little to no sleep (and many of them are expert marksmen). Infantry school is not just about push ups and sit ups, it's about pushing your body to the breaking point.

I will go on record as saying if women can meet the same standard as men they should be able to participate in anything.
acorn42047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 13:50   #92
Carrys
Inquisitive
 
Carrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Green Country
Posts: 13,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn42047 View Post
I will go on record as saying if women can meet the same standard as men they should be able to participate in anything.

Well, that's just it....they can't.

It's only in some folks dreams/desires/wishes that they can hold up an end like men. They are allowed to do so simply because it sooths the desires of some people. They want to think women can do anything and that they "don't need men"....something certain women (and some men) have been thinking for a long time.

I mean, some folk have the envy indeed.
__________________
If Men Won't Even Obey Their Govt.......What Makes Anyone Believe They Will Obey Their God?

Men Seem To Think Their God Is Like Their Govt.......He Is Supposed To Give Them Things, Not Ask Anything Of them.
Carrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 14:05   #93
Paul7
New Guy
 
Paul7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East of Eden
Posts: 13,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrys View Post
Now you've done it.

How dare you speak the truth?

People don't want to know/hear the truth, they would much rather live their dreams.
Another instance of political correctness killing is the Ft. Hood shooting, where nobody called out the Muslim who was making treasonous statements. Can't criticize a Muslim, don't you see.....

Perhaps next the PC crowd can get the NFL to take women.
__________________
“I don’t believe that people should be able to own guns.” Obama to John R. Lott Jr. in a private conversation at the University of Chicago.

Last edited by Paul7; 11-15-2012 at 14:06..
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 14:11   #94
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley
 
tsmo1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,285


Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn42047 View Post
I see your argument and it has a some merit. While a woman has better fine motor skills which is a factor in marksmanship, infantry Soldiers do not appear in combat fire a few well placed shots and disappear. They hump their gear in dig foxholes and fight for hours on end with little to no sleep (and many of them are expert marksmen). Infantry school is not just about push ups and sit ups, it's about pushing your body to the breaking point.

I will go on record as saying if women can meet the same standard as men they should be able to participate in anything.
Just for clarification, when I discuss the need for improvement in current military PT standards, I am discussing the need to shift away from the "push-up/sit-up" evaluations and look more into true strength and endurance training.

As another poster mentioned earlier, the ability to crank out push ups does not even really translate into any sort of meaningful measure of upper body strength. There are plenty of small men with very weak upper bodies who can crank out push-ups all day long simply by virtue of having no real chest mass to lift in the first place.

The current PT standards exist primarily because they are EASY TO MEASURE and can be readily evaluated and tracked across large numbers of people with very little expense and effort.

A more meaningful training and fitness program for the military would be one that combines total body conditioning (to include flexibility and core performance endurance) with targeted strength training that uses weights and employs progressive goals and lifting targets - and I absolutely agree with pushing the body to its breaking point as part of such a training program in order to strive for those lifting and endurance targets and goals.

Of course such a system would be far more expensive to implement and would require a much greater investment in training time for the NCOs and unit leaders responsible for administering such training, so it is very doubtful such an extreme conversion will happen anytime soon.
__________________
Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you. - Benjamin Franklin
tsmo1066 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 14:44   #95
aplcr0331
SortaHeuristic
 
aplcr0331's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
A more meaningful training and fitness program for the military would be one that combines total body conditioning (to include flexibility and core performance endurance) with targeted strength training that uses weights and employs progressive goals and lifting targets - and I absolutely agree with pushing the body to its breaking point as part of such a training program in order to strive for those lifting and endurance targets and goals.

Of course such a system would be far more expensive to implement and would require a much greater investment in training time for the NCOs and unit leaders responsible for administering such training, so it is very doubtful such an extreme conversion will happen anytime soon.
You should want people fit to fight. Train in combat readiness type tasks. Who care's who is good at exercising. Welcome to the Marine Corps CFT:

The CFT consists of three events: an 880 yard run, ammo can lifts, and manuever under fire:

880 Yard Run. Marines will run for 880 yards while wearing boots and camouflage uniform (pants and t-shirt).

Ammo Can Lifts. Marines will lift a 30 pound ammo can from the ground, over their heads as many times as they can in two minutes.

Manuever Under Fire. Marines must move through a 300 yard course, and perform designated tasks, in the time limit authorized. The tasks include:
  • Moving in a quick scurry for 10 yards, then a high craw for another 15 yards.
  • Drag a casualty for 10 yards, while zigzagging through several cones. Then lift the casualty and carry him/her at a run for 65 yards.
  • Carry two 30-pound ammo cans for 75 yards, while zigzagging through a series of cones.
  • Toss a dummy grenade 22 1/2 yards and land it in a marked target circle.
  • Perform three push-ups, pick up the two 30-pound cans and sprint to the finish line.
Scoring.....

Same as for the PFT. Different pass/fail/score rates for the sexes.
__________________
You secretly read your kid's email and Facebook accounts, but have never once read the kid's math book. "Oh, ha ha, I don't remember all that math!" Idiot, could you at least pretend it's important?

Last edited by aplcr0331; 11-15-2012 at 14:47..
aplcr0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 15:51   #96
MulletLoad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Outer Marker
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Navy officer Lt. Kara Hultgren was rushed into the seat of a Tomcat to satifsy feminist ideological dictates and she lost her life. This abuse of legitimate womens' desire to contribute on par with men will be repeated with every Radical Left government we elect.
Then there is the ideologiocal dictates of an Admiral's son getting into the seat of an F14 and then proceeds to shoot down a USAF RF-4C.

I think the guy was also promoted to Admiral or something recently.
MulletLoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 19:21   #97
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai
 
Peace Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: With the other 7,999,999
Posts: 26,239
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletLoad View Post
Then there is the ideologiocal dictates of an Admiral's son getting into the seat of an F14 and then proceeds to shoot down a USAF RF-4C.

I think the guy was also promoted to Admiral or something recently.
I think my brother (USAF) was working radar in the area (maybe on an AWACS) when this one occurred.

The AF brass was extremely pissed. The Tomcat pilot's dad was said to have shot down a friendly while flying over Vietnam. (If the latter is true, I guess the apple really doesn't fall too far from the tree.)
__________________
“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.” - William S. Burroughs
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 19:47   #98
Tx-SIG229
Senior Member
 
Tx-SIG229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SETX
Posts: 671
nope, can't ever recall seeing an infantry OFFICER humping anything heavy out in the field other then their own rucksack... why would a female infantry officer carry anything heavy?
__________________
Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I came, I saw, I stuck around) :supergrin:
Tx-SIG229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 19:53   #99
arclight610
Senior Member
 
arclight610's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
You should want people fit to fight. Train in combat readiness type tasks. Who care's who is good at exercising. Welcome to the Marine Corps CFT:

The CFT consists of three events: an 880 yard run, ammo can lifts, and manuever under fire:

880 Yard Run. Marines will run for 880 yards while wearing boots and camouflage uniform (pants and t-shirt).

Ammo Can Lifts. Marines will lift a 30 pound ammo can from the ground, over their heads as many times as they can in two minutes.

Manuever Under Fire. Marines must move through a 300 yard course, and perform designated tasks, in the time limit authorized. The tasks include:
  • Moving in a quick scurry for 10 yards, then a high craw for another 15 yards.
  • Drag a casualty for 10 yards, while zigzagging through several cones. Then lift the casualty and carry him/her at a run for 65 yards.
  • Carry two 30-pound ammo cans for 75 yards, while zigzagging through a series of cones.
  • Toss a dummy grenade 22 1/2 yards and land it in a marked target circle.
  • Perform three push-ups, pick up the two 30-pound cans and sprint to the finish line.
Scoring.....

Same as for the PFT. Different pass/fail/score rates for the sexes.
The ammo can presses and manuever under fire separate the men from the boys. I always ended up missing the grenade though.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:45   #100
reelnative
Member
 
reelnative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 46
yea put a lady in every fox hole nothing better to get the men motavated then a blow job before battle, but really the only reason ladies get into battle is when theres no more men to fight, get real people this liberal everyone gets a prize cause they played crap has to come to an end, face it we are diff then each other and everyone has there place a test is a test and if you cant pass it well then you loose theres nothing wrong with being second,
__________________
glock 21 45, 45super, slingshot, a few rocks and a stick
reelnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:44.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,521
478 Members
1,043 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42