sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

States File for Secession

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_2120410.html

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:37   #2
JW1178

Well, I think this is more of a protest, but this kind of thing could snowball. Wouldn't be the first time.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:39   #3
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

We can only hope...

Just noticed New Jersey is on the list.
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41   #4
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1178 View Post
Well, I think this is more of a protest, but this kind of thing could snowball. Wouldn't be the first time.
Yeah, I know. But, I will keep my fingers crossed anyways.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:52   #5
edcrosbys

Is it really a state filing for secession, what it's a person and 39,000(ish) others from the same state petitioning the Federal Gov to allow them to secede? Can the executive branch overturn what the Supreme Court has already ruled upon?

According to Texas v. White, states cannot secede from the union. So, they would need to go through the legislative branch and get that fixed first...
edcrosbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04   #6
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcrosbys View Post
Is it really a state filing for secession, what it's a person and 39,000(ish) others from the same state petitioning the Federal Gov to allow them to secede? Can the executive branch overturn what the Supreme Court has already ruled upon?

According to Texas v. White, states cannot secede from the union. So, they would need to go through the legislative branch and get that fixed first...

That's how you know if this is BS or not...if a state really wanted to secede, they damn sure wouldn't ask the government for 'permission' first. It will happen again, you can bet on it...just not in our lifetime. The pussification of America is set in too deep for the time being...people are more worried about when the iPhone 6 will be out than freedom.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:19   #7
vart

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...nment/GrZPNqcX

Here's the link to the AZ petition.

No, I didn't sign it. Why not? Because I find it ironic that those who are of the belief that the US government is so tyrannical and corrupt that the states need to secede are willing to sign their names on a whitehouse website.

They are basically giving the Obama Administration a list of Americans who are declaring themselves as revolutionaries...

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:25   #8
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vart View Post
They are basically giving the Obama Administration a list of Americans who are declaring themselves as revolutionaries...

More like giving Obama a list of people to get a tax audit. The IRS will be his army when Obama-Care gets into full swing.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28   #9
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Benjamin Franklin personally delivered the petition of the Continental Congress to King George III.
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28   #10
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Wait...so you're saying that Americans actually aren't as serious about freedom as they spout on the internet?

I signed the Louisiana petition when it first went up, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

And btw, we're at 30k signatures...we don't even need anymore.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:37   #11
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
Do you honestly believe that these are "filings" by states and not individuals?

Or are you trolling?
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:48   #12
Dinky
Stalker of tous

So what will these states do with no federal highway system, no military or equipment, they will need passports to go to the rest of the US, strict checkpoints with the US, no fuel if it is not produced within its boundries, high tarrifs on anything from the US, etc...
Dinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:50   #13
wingryder

Quote:

I wouldn't want to put my name on a petition at the whitehouse website.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
wingryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 13:04   #14
tarpleyg

Quote:

Here's the link to the AZ petition.

No, I didn't sign it. Why not? Because I find it ironic that those who are of the belief that the US government is so tyrannical and corrupt that the states need to secede are willing to sign their names on a whitehouse website.

That is PRECISELY why I put my name in the hat. Piss on 'em. As far as I am concerned we have no need whatsoever for 90% of what the federal government in this country is selling. What the federal government was supposed to be and what it is now has our founders roliing over in their graves. It's an abomination!

tarpleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 13:04   #15
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
We can only hope...

Just noticed New Jersey is on the list.
And Oregon and NY.

Funny stuff. I read the silly map on FB yesterday, was going to respond, but thought I would just make these people look really stupid and accomplish nothing else. I'm not that cruel.

(I'd be perfectly willing to make them look foolish if they engaged their brains. The woman that originally posted it posted earlier in the day that she was "so sick of Comcast" and wanted alternatives. I posted, "How about a book?" I was ignored. )
Old 11-13-2012, 13:27   #16
ustate
NRA Member

Wonder how many people that sign the petitions end up on the no fly lists as potential/suspected terrorist.
Old 11-13-2012, 13:33   #17
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Benjamin Franklin personally delivered the petition of the Continental Congress to King George III.
The difference is back then they had the fortitude to carry forth their belief fully accepting the possible outcome.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 13:40   #18
nmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustate View Post
Wonder how many people that sign the petitions end up on the no fly lists as potential/suspected terrorist.
I'd put my money on zero.
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 13:46   #19
TK-421

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-...ecession-talk/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/onpoli...ition/1702359/

It's just a bunch of random people starting the petition, a bunch of random people signing it, and they're all pissing into the wind. The petitions are just people trying to vent their frustration without actually trying to do anything about it. None of them will take up arms against our government, none of them will call up their governor trying to urge them to consider secession, none of them will do anything except sign the silly little petition. And the petition isn't gonna do s***.
TK-421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 13:50   #20
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
The difference is back then they had the fortitude to carry forth their belief fully accepting the possible outcome.

Sounds to me that those making excuses are the cowards.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 13:52   #21
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinky View Post
So what will these states do with no federal highway system, no military or equipment, they will need passports to go to the rest of the US, strict checkpoints with the US, no fuel if it is not produced within its boundries, high tarrifs on anything from the US, etc...
They will have to fund their own road projects (like they should anyways).

They have already have a military commanded by the Governor.

It would be up to the bordering states to decided on entries and exits.

Fuel could be freely produced if the State had the natural resources. I suppose that's the only valid consideration. No resources you would have to import.

States started out sovereign before this whole big central government goodness so many folks around here enjoy

Last edited by syntaxerrorsix; 11-13-2012 at 13:54..
syntaxerrorsix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 13:53   #22
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
Sounds to me that those making excuses are the cowards.
My name is out there in my local Tea Party and I have no compunction about stepping up to speak my mind publicly.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 13:53   #23
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustate View Post
That is a possible. It was a good question to ask.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 14:21   #24
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizz View Post
Do you honestly believe that these are "filings" by states and not individuals?

Or are you trolling?
No. I believe the residents of some states have reached the minimum number of signatures of a petition to require a review from the White House.

Last edited by sheriff733; 11-13-2012 at 14:37..
Old 11-13-2012, 14:50   #25
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
It's just a bunch of random people starting the petition, a bunch of random people signing it, and they're all pissing into the wind. The petitions are just people trying to vent their frustration without actually trying to do anything about it. None of them will take up arms against our government, none of them will call up their governor trying to urge them to consider secession, none of them will do anything except sign the silly little petition. And the petition isn't gonna do s***.
Sadly, you are right...honestly the majority of this country is too spoiled and lazy to give up the feds. It's a self-correcting problem though, because we won't be able to just keep printing money forever.

This country, one day...will fall apart at the seams, have another Civil War, and have to start over from square one. Probably not in our lifetime, but we're headed there.

Last edited by tantrix; 11-13-2012 at 14:51..