Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:50   #1
rph

Looking for some.223 Ammo

Most of the place around here are selling out of .223 ammo, especially the cheaper stuff. Is there anywhere online that has decent prices for .223. I am looking to buy around 1000 rounds. What is everyones recommendation for cheaper ammo also?

Thanks
rph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:55   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

Depends on what you want. If you are new to ARs, you should order some smaller batches of different types of ammo, and see what your gun likes best. Some will run Wolf and Tula no problem, and some will not. Some guns barely hit the target at 100 with M855 (Green Tip), and some are scary accurate with it. (Side note, this can vary between lots of ammo, too, even from the same company)

Order a couple boxes of different types and brands, and see what functions well and what is accurate. No point in buying 1k rounds of Wolf to find out your gun won't eat it.

For cheap practice ammo, look at the various 55gr ball loads. Avoid green tip, as it's more expensive, less accurate, and tears up steel targets and backstops.

For defensive use, there are a lot of options, but we would need to know more about your rifle.

Finally, check out the following...

www.sgammo.com
www.ammunitiontogo.com
www.luckygunner.com
Old 12-02-2012, 10:02   #3
rph

Thanks for the quick reply. I will checkout those websites. I just purchased the gun, and it is my first AR. It is a Colt SP6940. Anyone have any experience with this gun and what ammo it likes best?
rph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:13   #4
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rph View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I will checkout those websites. I just purchased the gun, and it is my first AR. It is a Colt SP6940. Anyone have any experience with this gun and what ammo it likes best?
I've seen a lot of Colts that did not like steel case ammo, including 2 Colt uppers I have personally owned. Yours might run it, but don't be shocked if it doesn't.

With a 6940, I'd look at most any XM193 (55gr FMJ) load for general plinking, and some good 62-64 grain bonded soft-point or jacketed hollow-point ammo for defense use. Speed Gold Dot is a great choice if you can find it. If you do a google search for AR15 best duty ammo, you will certainly gome across the work of "DocGKR" on several other websites. Doc Roberts knows his ****, and is someone that has spent far more time researching and understanding ballistics than I ever will. Take a hard look at what he suggests, and see what you can find for a reasonable price. Your 6940 has a 1/7 twist, so even the heavy (70+ grain) loads will work just fine.

As with practice ammo, buy a box or two of a couple different kinds of defensive ammo, and see what YOUR gun likes the best. Even better if you can find a defensive load that closely mimics your preferred practice ammo, since you won't have to worry about a shift in the point of impact as much.

If you don't mind the cost ($70+ for 50 rounds) then the Black Hills 50 grain TSX load in 5.56 is supposed to be outstanding. However, darn near anything loaded with TSX bullets in .223 should perform very well in an HD role. I'm persnally switching from Hornady TAP 75gr 5.56 to either Federal TRU or Black Hills .223 loaded with 55gr TSX.

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 12-02-2012 at 10:13.. Reason: Bleepin' typos.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 17:40   #5
glock031

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I've seen a lot of Colts that did not like steel case ammo, including 2 Colt uppers I have personally owned. Yours might run it, but don't be shocked if it doesn't.

With a 6940, I'd look at most any XM193 (55gr FMJ) load for general plinking, and some good 62-64 grain bonded soft-point or jacketed hollow-point ammo for defense use. Speed Gold Dot is a great choice if you can find it. If you do a google search for AR15 best duty ammo, you will certainly gome across the work of "DocGKR" on several other websites. Doc Roberts knows his ****, and is someone that has spent far more time researching and understanding ballistics than I ever will. Take a hard look at what he suggests, and see what you can find for a reasonable price. Your 6940 has a 1/7 twist, so even the heavy (70+ grain) loads will work just fine.

As with practice ammo, buy a box or two of a couple different kinds of defensive ammo, and see what YOUR gun likes the best. Even better if you can find a defensive load that closely mimics your preferred practice ammo, since you won't have to worry about a shift in the point of impact as much.

If you don't mind the cost ($70+ for 50 rounds) then the Black Hills 50 grain TSX load in 5.56 is supposed to be outstanding. However, darn near anything loaded with TSX bullets in .223 should perform very well in an HD role. I'm persnally switching from Hornady TAP 75gr 5.56 to either Federal TRU or Black Hills .223 loaded with 55gr TSX.
Not sure if it was Doc's or Molons testings but BH's TSX in 55gr and 53gr didn't fair well when barrier tested. The 50gr and 62gr faired much better retaining most of thier weight. The BH 55gr and 53gr sheared off all four petals after shot through glass barrier. Supposibly this was why the stronger constucted 50gr TSX bullet was developed
Old 12-02-2012, 17:47   #6
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock031 View Post
Not sure if it was Doc's or Molons testings but BH's TSX in 55gr and 53gr didn't fair well when barrier tested. The 50gr and 62gr faired much better retaining most of thier weight. The BH 55gr and 53gr sheared off all four petals after shot through glass barrier. Supposibly this was why the stronger constucted 50gr TSX bullet was developed
You are correct. However, barrier blind isn't as critical for many HD uses. In the end, it's up to the individual to decide what they think will work best for them.

I'd love to stock up on some of the 50 grain BHA loads, but they're not the easiest thing to find, and theyre horribly expensive when you do.
Old 12-02-2012, 18:43   #7
mvmojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rph View Post
I've got a Colt LE6940 - it seems to love eating the Wolf WPA Polyformance .223 steel case ammo (black box, red lettering). I bought it on sale at The Sportsman's Guide a month or so ago for about $0.20 per round. I think they're out of stock right now, but when they get it back in, I'm down for another 2K rounds! I've also fed it American Eagle and Remmington UMC. No problems at all.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 19:11   #8
boomhower

Steel case is going to vary between each individual gun. My DD east it like candy but it seems in general DD's hate it. Just buy a box or two locally and see if your gun likes it. If it does, order it in bulk.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 19:13   #9
SCmasterblaster

Try Cheaper Than Dirt!!! Or Midway USA.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 12-02-2012 at 19:13..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 19:39   #10
WoodenPlank
Who?

Cheaper than dirt was one of the first (and worst) price gougers immediately after the 08 election. I refuse to do business with them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-02-2012, 21:52   #11
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Cheaper than dirt was one of the first (and worst) price gougers immediately after the 08 election. I refuse to do business with them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
I wholeheartedly agree!!!!

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 22:20   #12
JPhillis

Check www.********.com they had some .223 in thousand round cases from 399-415 for 55gr FMJ. Remember that is not 5.56x45. 223 ammo is starting to get stupid high for what it is.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the Atmosphere. -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Abigail Adams, 1787:patriot:
JPhillis is offline   Reply With Quote