Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-11-2012, 20:15   #1
houseflipper

Is anyone using a RV or Trailer for BOL

I'm really curious if you think a mobile BOL would be a good idea. I guess the main issue would be getting out before the roads become impassable.
I often worry of being cut off from a fixed location.If you have to fight your way home to get everyone then BO the roads could be a mess.
The amount of people and items that need to be moved you might have to tow some kind of trailer anyway so I'm thinking why not one with all the creature comforts built in.
houseflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 20:49   #2
CharlieDelta127

I vote trailer over RV any day of the week.

Worst comes to worst, you can ditch the trailer (minus supplies of course) and go on about your business.
CharlieDelta127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 21:44   #3
UtahIrishman
BLR

We have a trailer that could be used this way. But it's not really our intention to do so unless it is absolutely necessary.

First choice is to stay in place. Only in the event of an evacuation order will we take the trailer. I think (or rather hope) there will be some less traveled back roads that will allow us to exit the area quickly if needed.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 21:52   #4
F350

Got an F350 dully 4X4, tires are a bit more off road than on road and have an 11 foot slide in camper; I have been places you will never see in a motor home or trailer, and if I have to I can shed it in 5 min.
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:34   #5
I Shooter

We have a 32' travel trailer that if ordered to leave it will be going with us. The only problem I have is we plan to stay home. That is where all our stuff is. Our trailer is stocked for a month of use. Our house is stocked for a year of use.
I Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:21   #6
SFCSMITH(RET)

It's an option, yes. We plan to stay right here, but if needed, we can roll in one of the TT's, no problem. They are usually stocked with a weeks worth of everything at a bare minimum anyways.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:31   #7
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseflipper View Post
I'm really curious if you think a mobile BOL would be a good idea. I guess the main issue would be getting out before the roads become impassable.
I often worry of being cut off from a fixed location.If you have to fight your way home to get everyone then BO the roads could be a mess.
The amount of people and items that need to be moved you might have to tow some kind of trailer anyway so I'm thinking why not one with all the creature comforts built in.
You better be in place before the general public is on the road. The roads will be a mess and gas stations dry.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26   #8
BR549
Thread Killer

I have no problem with the use of such as a "temporary shelter" at the BOL if preplaced at BOL.

However, I would not choose it as the BOV except possibly for early BO due to a hurricane.

It all depends on the nature of the event(s) for which you are planning and the size of the RV.

I'd rather use the RV as a "recreational vehicle".

I currently own three of these. I've taken these for some pretty expeditious hunting, fourwheeling, kayaking, skiing, and fishing. They are not set up for what most people call RVing. I carry the kayaks on top and the bikes/ATVs/motorcycles go in the trailer. If I'm using a truck without a shell instead of with a shell or a Jeep, another two MX bikes or another ATV can go in the bed of the truck.

http://www.livinlite.com/VRV-floorplans.php

Then again, I've also "lived" out of a Jeep/truck, off of a boat/kayak/canoe, off of a motorcycle/ATV, and out of a backpack. It's nice having options, and remember.....

...an option can remain very minimalist while at the same time being VERY adequate. You can do some serious recreation with very little. Get out there and DO fun things this way before spending too much money on things that sit in the driveway that you 'hope' will get it done. Start small, rent and test, camp out of a truck. Find out what you really want and need before making the large capital investment.

I would be happy to explain some of my methods if you have any questions.

Last edited by BR549; 11-12-2012 at 08:31..
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:51   #9
sebecman

I have an older Ford RV with a 460CI engine. It gets 8 miles to the gallon.

For that reason, it doesn't factor much in my bug out plans.

Then again, it would have to be pretty extreme to get us to bug out.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:20   #10
humanguerrilla

just in my dreams
http://www.unicat.net/ua/en/info/GMXXL24AH-MAN8x8.html

Last edited by humanguerrilla; 11-12-2012 at 12:00..
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 15:50   #11
uptomyneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350 View Post
Got an F350 dully 4X4, tires are a bit more off road than on road and have an 11 foot slide in camper; I have been places you will never see in a motor home or trailer, and if I have to I can shed it in 5 min.
Plus it has a built in generator, solar and batteries. 40 gallons of fresh water, ac/dc/propane fridge/freezer, full head and galley.

With the 55 gallon tank on the dually, it's got an 800 mile range.

It's one back-up plan. When you're in the camper, it's hard to believe that you're in the back of a pick-up.
Survival/Preparedness Forum

Last edited by uptomyneck; 11-12-2012 at 15:52..
uptomyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 17:33   #12
mac66
Plant the seed

We used our travel trailer a couple times when power went out for a couple days. We have traveled all over the country in it for two-three weeks at a time. As such we learned a lot about where to go and stay. I am leaving tomorrow to use it for deer hunting for 10 days in northern Michigan. So yeah, it is a good portable BOL IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 14:06   #13
Devans0

Another vote for slide in camper on a 4x4 truck. It can be used and gets you out to where you want to go. Off load the camper and you have a truck that blends in and works. Mine is a starter camper. It gets the job done but if I were to do it again, I would get the Lance.
Devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:33   #14
wjv

Have a camper (28 foot trailer)
Have property 2.5 hours away with septic & water that we could head to.

Would only do it as a last resort

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:42   #15
houseflipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
Have a camper (28 foot trailer)
Have property 2.5 hours away with septic & water that we could head to.

Would only do it as a last resort
This would be exactly what I would need to do.
houseflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:48   #16
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptomyneck View Post
Plus it has a built in generator, solar and batteries. 40 gallons of fresh water, ac/dc/propane fridge/freezer, full head and galley.

With the 55 gallon tank on the dually, it's got an 800 mile range.

It's one back-up plan. When you're in the camper, it's hard to believe that you're in the back of a pick-up.
Survival/Preparedness Forum
This is very appealing as a bug out vehicle. You seriously get almost 15 MPG though, in that configuration?
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:21   #17
NecoDude

Plan is to pull my pop-up to the BOL as a backup. Can drop it easily if need be but would hate to. It's light weight, hauls a bunch of gear/rations. But it has some drawbacks that make it only a backup for long term housing.
Old 11-14-2012, 13:18   #18
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I would like to have a truck camper, but.....
Old 11-14-2012, 14:08   #19
BR549
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I would like to have a truck camper, but.....
Here's how I do it.

I use a 4x4 Diesel (sometimes with an 8' bed, sometimes with 6'+ bed) with camper shell. My shell of choice has a "walk-in" rear door lockable from inside, a boot for the front window so that I can reach from cab to bed, sliding side windows with screens, and roof rack for kayaks. I use a portable shower and cook/eat/dress outside. I've done this so much, I'm sure I have the answer for almost any question you have.

Some would consider this "roughing it", but I think it's so much fun because "less is more". It's so much less complicated, easier to maintain, less to consider, easy to just pick-up-and-go.

Last edited by BR549; 11-14-2012 at 14:13..
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:20   #20
uptomyneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
This is very appealing as a bug out vehicle. You seriously get almost 15 MPG though, in that configuration?
In the mountains, I get 12 mpg. On a fairly level highway, it's 15-16 mpg at 60 mph. The truck weighs close to 8k pounds loaded and the camper weighs almost 5k.

The Cummins 5.9 is a very efficient powerplant.
uptomyneck is offline   Reply With Quote