Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:17   #1
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Winchester Ranger RA556B: Supposed to look like this?

So, is the lead at the tip of the Ranger load (RA556B) supposed to be like this? I've had a lot of bad experiences with terrible QC, and inconsistency, with Ranger pistol ammo, but my understanding was the centerfire rifle ammo from Winchester/Ranger line was still good to go. I don't like how this is inconsistent and some appear lumpy/over flowing. There is a Gold Dot (24455) for comparison. Every single Gold Dot bullet looks exactly the same, and just like the one pictured.

I would think that they are all supposed to look like the one on the far left (or at least that every bullet would look the same). Those others...not exactly confidence inspiring.

I can't help but feel like sticking with the Gold Dots. Speer has never done me wrong, and who doesn't like Gold Dots?

Caliber Corner

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 11-05-2012 at 12:19..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 13:04   #2
cowboy1964

Yuck. JSPs are already known for building up lead on the feed ramp and causing problems. Those Rangers look like they would make the problem much, much, worse, and much more quickly.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 13:36   #3
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Yuck. JSPs are already known for building up lead on the feed ramp and causing problems. Those Rangers look like they would make the problem much, much, worse, and much more quickly.
From what I have seen the lead doesn't build up for at least 200-300 rounds. I cannot even afford that many rounds of this, let alone that many for firing in on setting/without cleaning.

I have also seen that, supposedly, the more 'premium' loads don't lead the feed ramps as bad as some of the others.

Nonetheless, when I test these at the range this weekend I'll be inspecting the feed ramps closely.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 11-05-2012, 16:26   #4
SCmasterblaster

Leading on the feed ramp?

From soft-point bullets? This is the first time I have heard about this situation.
Old 11-05-2012, 16:35   #5
GlockPride
Glock 23

The two cases on the left don't even look the same height (shorter) as the ones on the right!

Good luck with that!

I Do HAVE Good Luck with the .40 ammo, though!
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 16:38   #6
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockPride View Post
The two cases on the left don't even look the same height (shorter) as the ones on the right!

Good luck with that!

I Do HAVE Good Luck with the .40 ammo, though!
My next handgun is a G22
Old 11-05-2012, 16:40   #7
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
The two cases on the left are farther from the camera than the two cases on the right. Obvious optical illusion.

Look at the line on the box, and where the cartridge rims line up.

Old 11-05-2012, 16:44   #8
SCmasterblaster

And just what caliber are these rounds?
Old 11-05-2012, 16:44   #9
GlockPride
Glock 23

double tap
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God

Last edited by GlockPride; 11-05-2012 at 16:46..
Old 11-05-2012, 16:45   #10
GlockPride
Glock 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
The two cases on the left are farther from the camera than the two cases on the right. Obvious optical illusion.

Look at the line on the box, and where the cartridge rims line up.
Warp, brother,I respect you, but it looks like a bigger difference than just the angle. I could be wrong though.
It IS hard to tell with just a single photo.

Old 11-05-2012, 16:48   #11
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Warp, brother,I respect you, but it looks like a bigger difference than just the angle. I could be wrong though.

I'm anal enough I'll open the box back up and do a lineup later, and mic anything that is suspicous.

Last edited by Warp; 11-05-2012 at 16:49..
Old 11-05-2012, 16:50   #12
SCmasterblaster

I get it

These are 5.56mm cartridges.
Old 11-05-2012, 18:31   #13
cowboy1964

I also like the shape of the Gold Dot better. Just seems like a better feeding shape, if anything.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-05-2012 at 18:32..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 19:25   #14
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I'm anal enough I'll open the box back up and do a lineup later, and mic anything that is suspicous.
Same box.

Caliber Corner

Caliber Corner

Last edited by Warp; 11-05-2012 at 19:27..
Old 11-05-2012, 19:55   #15
GlockPride
Glock 23

I guess it would help if I actually paid enough attention to know that you were the original poster. Wow! Can't believe I let that slip.

Send 'em over and I'll shoot them at the yotes.
Old 11-05-2012, 19:58   #16
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
I guess it would help if I actually paid enough attention to know that you were the original poster. Wow! Can't believe I let that slip.

Send 'em over and I'll shoot them at the yotes.
The rounds (bullet tip) may not look at neat and pretty, but I a told by somebody in another forum that that is just how they look and is normal.

The terminal performance of this round is exactly what I am looking for. Some function and POI testing this weekend and they'll get loaded up for HD/SD/SHTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
I also like the shape of the Gold Dot better. Just seems like a better feeding shape, if anything.
Agree.

Gold Dots always look beautifully crafted. I really, really like Gold Dots in every caliber I have acquired them for. 5.56, 9x19, .38spl +P and .45 ACP so far.

I've also had Ranger in all of those calibers.

Last edited by Warp; 11-05-2012 at 20:00..
Old 11-05-2012, 21:06   #17
PettyOfficer

It's official: next time I'm shopping for ammo, I'm not buying anymore Winchester HPs of any model. I'll still buy wwb for range.

That last photo has them all lined up but some bullets look to be set in deeper than others. As well, some copper jackets are larger than others too.

I've only heard of problems, I haven't had any yet, except for some crud in my RA45TP primers, but this lack of quality is apparent.

Last edited by PettyOfficer; 11-05-2012 at 21:08..
PettyOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 21:09   #18
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyOfficer View Post
It's official: next time I'm shopping for ammo, I'm not buying anymore Winchester HPs of any model. I'll still buy wwb for range.

That last photo has them all lined up but some bullets look to be set in deeper than others. As well, some copper jackets are larger than others too.

I've only heard of problems, I haven't had any yet, except for some crud in my RA45TP primers, but this lack of quality is apparent.
My understanding is that the pistol ammo is what has gone down the crapper lately, but the centerfire rifle ammo is still up to snuff (the pistol ammo is where they moved manufacturing location and changed labor, but not rifle)

I am told by a poster on M4C (hoping to get other replies eventually) that it is normal and that's how they look, and I've seen enough different tests of the terminal performance that if that is how they normally look, I'm sticking with them, as the results are always excellent.

Last edited by Warp; 11-05-2012 at 21:10..
Old 11-06-2012, 10:44   #19
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

Center fire rifle is still made here with skilled labor. Pistol ammo mostly is made by unskilled but some is still made here.

The bullets themselves may or may not be made here. The machinist here at the old plant are very busy because the unskilled labor at the new plant seem to be excelling at breaking things.

Some of the guys here think that it will still be a few years before all of center fire moves south. I think that there is a learning curve for the new guys. It will not last forever. If enough of the Union employees follow their jobs even for half pay and much less benefits it will help get the new plant running up to full production faster.
Old 11-06-2012, 13:05   #20
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, I got some more feedback on the other board...it seems mine do look like ****.

Somebody even posted factory seconds of that bullet and they look 100x nicer than what I got.

Last edited by Warp; 11-06-2012 at 13:05..