Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-11-2012, 13:45   #1
plouffedaddy

Underwood Ammo 380 +P Gold Dot Ballistics Gel Test & Review

Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner

Like a lot of you, I carry a 380 pocket gun sometimes because it's convient and conceals well in most outfits. And like many of you, I view the 380ACP round as relatively underpowered but still much better than nothing. So, the search for a 380 round with relatively good performance has led me to the 90gr Speer Gold Dot rounds and I've trusted them for many years now.

Well, theres a new round out from Underwood Ammo that uses the tested bonded Gold Dot bullet but loads it to a higher pressure (22,900 cup) producing a pretty good increase in energy out of my test gun (Bodyguard 380) and that's nothing to sneeze at. In the calibrated ballistics gel (with 4 layers of denim) used in the video below it got 11'' of penetration, expanded to .48 inches, and had a retained weight of 89.5 grains (5.8g=89.5 grains).

I realize there's no SAMMI spec for "+p" 380ACP but this is certainly a hot round. With that said, be sure you have a firearm that can handle the chamber pressures caused by using this round––-if not, you may damage your firearm (and hand).

Underwood uses a 3.5'' PPK barrel for their advertised velocity but since most people who carry 380s use a pocket gun, I tested it in a 2.75'' barrel. Here's the chrono numbers:

Speer Gold Dot 90gr JHPs: 964fps, 186 ft/lbs energy
Underwood Gold Dot 90gr JHPs: 1086fps, 236 ft/lbs energy

Test video:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 21:10   #2
RYT 2BER

Awfully nice for a 380.... Then again its underwood. What else would we expect

Thanks for the vid as usual.
Old 11-11-2012, 21:24   #3
dougader

The SAAMI for 380 auto is 21,500 psi, previously 18,900 CUP. Would an extra 4,000 CUP put this ammo out-of-bounds for something like a Kel-Tec P-3AT?

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:07   #4
plouffedaddy

I'm not sure that anyone here could say; best bet would be to call Kel-Tec.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 11-15-2012, 16:30   #5
SCmasterblaster

Very nice .380 loads from UW. The .380 has needed this attention for a long time.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:10   #6
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

WOW!

Almost a 9mm!

But not quite!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:30   #7
SCmasterblaster

UW ammo

is way out there on the edge of dangerous.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:46   #8
AZson

James Bond carries it, it must be good.lol
I would take a .380 over a .38 any day.

Last edited by AZson; 11-18-2012 at 12:47..
AZson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:53   #9
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
James Bond carries it, it must be good.lol
I would take a .380 over a .38 any day.
Sean Connery, right?
Old 11-18-2012, 13:29   #10
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post

Like a lot of you, I carry a 380 pocket gun sometimes because it's convient and conceals well in most outfits. And like many of you, I view the 380ACP round as relatively underpowered but still much better than nothing. So, the search for a 380 round with relatively good performance has led me to the 90gr Speer Gold Dot rounds and I've trusted them for many years now.

Well, theres a new round out from Underwood Ammo that uses the tested bonded Gold Dot bullet but loads it to a higher pressure (22,900 cup) producing a pretty good increase in energy out of my test gun (Bodyguard 380) and that's nothing to sneeze at. In the calibrated ballistics gel (with 4 layers of denim) used in the video below it got 11'' of penetration, expanded to .48 inches, and had a retained weight of 89.5 grains (5.8g=89.5 grains).

I realize there's no SAMMI spec for "+p" 380ACP but this is certainly a hot round. With that said, be sure you have a firearm that can handle the chamber pressures caused by using this round––-if not, you may damage your firearm (and hand).

Underwood uses a 3.5'' PPK barrel for their advertised velocity but since most people who carry 380s use a pocket gun, I tested it in a 2.75'' barrel. Here's the chrono numbers:

Test video:
Thanks I just got my Bodyguard.

The above tester is getting 10.25" of penetration out of a 3.5" barrel

1,000 fps advertised

978 fps tested

I decided to go with the Federal Hydrashock

The Bodyguard had a 2.75" barrel so your results would vary from the tester above.

Here is more info showing the Federal gets good penetration
http://www.brassfetcher.com/380ACP/3...ry%20Table.pdf

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/380auto.html

Here it looks like the Federal get 175 ft lbs out out of a 3" barrel.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/m...s/380auto.html

I'd be interested to see what you get for the Federal.

Thanks

http://www.reloadammo.com/footpound2.htm

Last edited by PaulMason; 11-18-2012 at 13:36..
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 14:46   #11
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner

Test video:
http://youtu.be/3h1Ml5h2ECY
What? is that scale set up for grams? I hope so, for that expanded bullet can't weigh a mere 5.8 grains.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 11-18-2012 at 14:46..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 16:32   #12
Kentguy

Plouffedaddy,

I have a Bersa Thunder 380 and I do carry this from time to time in the Summer, but the issue with a short barreled 380 isn't to see how "Hot" of a round we can shove down the barrel. The name of the game here is to be able to control that round.

The object is to Reacquire the target fast. If after you fire that first round and you send your pistol up over your shoulder... If you need a second shot, you may not get the chance to do so.

I would much prefer to control each shot and reacquire my target FAST. You'll have a much better chance of coming out of that situation alive.

Just something to think about when choosing SD ammo.
Old 11-18-2012, 17:54   #13
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
What? is that scale set up for grams? I hope so, for that expanded bullet can't weigh a mere 5.8 grains.
It is; I put it in the OP I believe.

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 11-18-2012, 17:56   #14
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
Plouffedaddy,

I have a Bersa Thunder 380 and I do carry this from time to time in the Summer, but the issue with a short barreled 380 isn't to see how "Hot" of a round we can shove down the barrel. The name of the game here is to be able to control that round.

The object is to Reacquire the target fast. If after you fire that first round and you send your pistol up over your shoulder... If you need a second shot, you may not get the chance to do so.

I would much prefer to control each shot and reacquire my target FAST. You'll have a much better chance of coming out of that situation alive.

Just something to think about when choosing SD ammo.
Indeed. I'm not saying this is the best ammo on the market; rather just putting information out there. With handguns, velocity is certainly less relevant than bullet construction, penetration, ect....

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 11-19-2012, 07:55   #15
Kentguy

Plouffedaddy... "Indeed. I'm not saying this is the best ammo on the market; rather just putting information out there. With handguns, velocity is certainly less relevant than bullet construction, penetration, ect..."

I couldn't agree more, information is the key for all of us in making an informed choice especially with SD ammo. Now-a-days their is so many brands/weights/types of rounds to choose from it almost makes you crazy!

It was postings like this at helped my find a round that gives me all the items you mentioned.

for my Bersa Thunder 380 I have a 3 1/2" barrel and it really likes the Hornady 90g XTP HP round.

Hornady "Custom" Factory 380 Auto Ammunition
90g XTP HP
Velocity - Box listed at 1,000 fps (my tests: 6 shot average = 893.2 fps @ 80 degrees)
OAL - .965"

For a general carry round I found this cartridge to be stout enough to impact, expand & penetrate deep enough for me but also and more importantly, this is an extremely manageable round, reacquiring the target was very fast out of my Bersa.

FYI

Last edited by Kentguy; 11-19-2012 at 07:56..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:23   #16
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
It is; I put it in the OP I believe.
You did, indeed. Dummy me didn't see it!
Old 11-21-2012, 19:49   #17
DonGlock26

Cool video, but I'm sticking to my 90 gr Golddots.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41   #18
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGlock26 View Post
Cool video, but I'm sticking to my 90 gr Golddots.
I hope that you won't have to shoot anyone.