Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:45   #76
johnd

Send a message via ICQ to johnd
there have been many recent reports on the lack of basic aptitudes by applicants today. Im a LEO and a recruiter and I see it all the time...the most basic of instructions on the initial application form are "duh?" to them ....and they want to be a detective or something else in the enforcement business???
What part of " in chronological order" dont they understand? what part of "from your mose current " dont they understand?
Some cant even spell their name right, some cant read the instructions to "write your name in full" and many many ,too many, dont know their SSN.
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:58   #77
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Part of it is also the reliance on technology... I am finding that kids today can't function if they don't have a screen in front of them telling them what the answer is or how to do it.

Idiocracy is on the way...
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 13:27   #78
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

My very first job (during Summer from Jr. High School) was making custom sizes of aluminum combination storm and screen windows. I did everything by myself with power saws for the metal, built the frames, cut the glass, put it into the frames, etc.. I was hired over some adults. I asked why? I was curious.

I was told "because I could add fractions". This is a sad testament too.

I didn't see Arithmetic as an accomplishment, but I liked the Independence and the pay of the job.

Early 1950's. It is just getting worse.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 13:37   #79
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
My very first job (during Summer from Jr. High School) was making custom sizes of aluminum combination storm and screen windows. I did everything by myself with power saws for the metal, built the frames, cut the glass, put it into the frames, etc.. I was hired over some adults. I asked why? I was curious.

I was told "because I could add fractions". This is a sad testament too.

I didn't see Arithmetic as an accomplishment, but I liked the Independence and the pay of the job.

Early 1950's. It is just getting worse.
It is unbelievable how many people can't figure out fractions. I deal with it constantly in the construction business.
Old 11-13-2012, 13:43   #80
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
there have been many recent reports on the lack of basic aptitudes by applicants today. Im a LEO and a recruiter and I see it all the time...the most basic of instructions on the initial application form are "duh?" to them ....and they want to be a detective or something else in the enforcement business???
What part of " in chronological order" dont they understand? what part of "from your mose current " dont they understand?
Some cant even spell their name right, some cant read the instructions to "write your name in full" and many many ,too many, dont know their SSN.
The part I would have a hard time understanding is "from your mose current". I would be kinda lost with mose.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 13:45   #81
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
It is unbelievable how many people can't figure out fractions. I deal with it constantly in the construction business.
Pssst Metric system.

But then many people would be confused about how big a 75dl bottle of wine is...

2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.

Last edited by DanaT; 11-13-2012 at 13:48..
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 14:50   #82
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Pssst Metric system.

But then many people would be confused about how big a 75dl bottle of wine is...

I'd love to go metric here in the US, but I don't the dolts could swing it. In the cabinet business I need to understand both, but due to a lack of metric tape measure availability I can't completely switch over.
Old 11-13-2012, 15:05   #83
vart

I currently make $22 an hour. It is white collar, but still hourly. However, I have to drive 150 miles a day to work. I have 5 years experience, but no degree, ex-military and 20% disabled.

So, I was perusing the local paper for jobs since I am getting burned out on the $400 a month in gas and 2.5 hours a day commuting.

I saw 3 jobs listed, all required a BS, 2-5 years experience, and all started at under $12 an hour...

WTF? Are people out there with degrees and experience actually accepting $11.50 and hour?? This is not a cheap area to live.

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 15:37   #84
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneA View Post
Because these people are not employable.
I have been trying to find a cashier for the last two weeks. A simple job of running a cash register and being nice to customers.

I have been through around 100 applications and have only found 4-5 that even make the cut to get called in for an interview.

Some interesting things on applications though:
Under customer service skills:
"im about good at that"
Under previous employment:
Employer Name:
didn't have one
Address:
Don't know
Phone number:
phone book

And best of all, when filling out an application it is a good idea to put a phone number on it to be contacted at.

Really it should be this hard to find a qualified person to run a cash register. It isn't exactly skilled labor.
Sounds like they have to fill out X number of applications a week/month to keep their check.
Old 11-13-2012, 16:10   #85
jtmac
Señor Member

Send a message via AIM to jtmac Send a message via Yahoo to jtmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vart View Post
I saw 3 jobs listed, all required a BS, 2-5 years experience, and all started at under $12 an hour...

WTF? Are people out there with degrees and experience actually accepting $11.50 and hour?? This is not a cheap area to live.
There are a few reasons for this:

- You know how stupid HR is with just managing the resources they have? Imagine how idiotic HR is trying to find new resources. They do find people that way, but of course you know what kind of people HR can hire. All the while the people who should be making the hiring decisions can't get what they need because the talent doesn't have irrelevant credential X or because they can't pay enough.

- Just like HR can be idiotic, some small business owners can be delusional. It isn't hard to find out what decent talent costs, but it's also really easy to find excuses to believe that you should expect something else.

- Some businesses will put out ads for employment just so they can say they didn't find anyone. They may know who/how they want to hire but HR has regulations on how to seek candidates. Or perhaps it's a company that wants more to falsely justify hiring foreign workers to save money. Etc, so forth.
Old 11-13-2012, 17:06   #86
N4LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
Looking for 3 quarters in change. I am with him, I hate getting pennies, nickels or dimes back in change. Far as I am concerned the quarter is the new penny. There is no reason for anything smaller. What can you buy that costs less than $0.25
I just use a debit card 90% of the time and don't worry about change at all. It used to be that it was more time consuming and didn't necessarily make sense for small purchases, but using a debit card today is actually faster than using cash. Debit cards and credit cards are probably a big part of the reason that cashiers today have trouble making change in their head - it's simply something they don't do with anywhere near the frequency they might have 20 years ago.
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 22:23   #87
vikingsoftpaw

Quote:
I currently make $22 an hour. It is white collar, but still hourly. However, I have to drive 150 miles a day to work. I have 5 years experience, but no degree, ex-military and 20% disabled.

So, I was perusing the local paper for jobs since I am getting burned out on the $400 a month in gas and 2.5 hours a day commuting.

A printing company near me wants to offer B.A. Graphic Artists $10.50 with experience.

The general trend with employers is that they really don't want to pay anything over $10.00/hr. They still expect a great deal from an employee at that price.

When the economy turns for the better, a whole bunch of people will play employer musical chairs.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 23:09   #88
ysr_racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
Want to make an applicant cry? Ask them how many thousandths there are in an inch, (and watch the hilarity begin).

At work we had to stop using the word "prorated" because none of our customers knew what it meant.
ysr_racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:50   #89
clancy

Quote:

A close friend who has a Master's Degree in teaching is now parking cars because that is all he can find.

I quit a job at a local supermarket in 1989. The starting wage for a ft employee then was $11 an hour. They now only hire part time only, at minimum wage, and have people every day applying for jobs. A few years ago McDonald's was advertising for help, and they were offering $9.50 an hour to start. They now pay $7.75 an hour to start.
About 10 years ago Kohl's opened up a distribution center, and was starting their warehouse staff off at $12 an hour, FT with benefits. I went there last month, they are only hiring PT, $8 an hour with no benefits, and you are not allowed to work anywhere else.

Businesses only pay what they have to. In this current economic market, they don't have to pay much at all. When you have bills to pay and children to feed and all you can find is a minimum wage job, that is what you have to take. Hopefully you can find one that will accept the fact that you might have to work 2, 3 or even 4 jobs to make end meet.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:36   #90
DaneA

I had 5 interviews on Monday. I had to define the word rapport to 3 applicants and the word prioritize to one (who I didn't ask the question about rapport). Ugh

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:26   #91
WWJBD

Where the hell do you guys live.

I live in the DFW Metroplex, and I RARELY have problems with cashiers calculating change, or any other customer service issues. All of my orders at restaurants come correct, I never have issues returning items...or anything really.

I also own a small business and I have been hiring as of late. I would venture to say in the last 2 months I have had 100 applicants, and probably 20-25 of them I would legitimately consider hiring...and I am pretty strict.

Maybe its just most Texans still have a good head on their shoulders...

Also my sister-in-law and her husband both just graduated with Masters degrees from Texas A&M. Both found jobs within 3 weeks. He is making 51k a year, and she is making 45k a year. Both graphic designers, one works at an architecture firm.

He actually had 3 offers. (He is ex-military and 1 of them wanted to hire a vet, so he had an advantage there, but still!)

Last edited by WWJBD; 11-14-2012 at 13:29..
WWJBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 14:29   #92
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3670 View Post
I got a call from a very polite gentleman who asked if it was OK for him to work at a pistol range despite being an ex-con. I quickly advised him that he couldn't even set foot in a gun store because he would be in violation of Federal law. He said that he didn't want to work in the store, just the range and wanted to be the range officer. I explained to him the rules for both physical and constructive possession of a firearm by a prohibited person. He was sad but said that he underdstood and thanked me for my time.

The sad part is that he was extremely polite on the phone and spoke very well. I felt kind of sad for him, but I had absolutely no choice.
That's too bad - looks like you gave him bad legal advice.
The part about setting foot in a gun shop is clearly incorrect and the part about working at the range is probably incorrect if it's a range where people bring their own guns, instead of shooting the range's guns.
Old 11-14-2012, 14:32   #93
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
I can count the change, read a tape measure, calculate fractions and pass the drug test. If I tried hard enough, I could even be polite to customers. But you probably cannot pay me more than I make now (and I don't make much).
You do not count. You went to school where they taught you how to field strip and shoot an AK and dig foxholes. People who are taught how to put condom on cucumber cannot operate cash register unless it has picture on every button.
Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 14:44   #94
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
You do not count. You went to school where they taught you how to field strip and shoot an AK and dig foxholes. People who are taught how to put condom on cucumber cannot operate cash register unless it has picture on every button.
Each post you write makes you seems dumber than the last.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 14:50   #95
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneA View Post
Because these people are not employable.
I have been trying to find a cashier for the last two weeks. A simple job of running a cash register and being nice to customers.

I have been through around 100 applications and have only found 4-5 that even make the cut to get called in for an interview.

And best of all, when filling out an application it is a good idea to put a phone number on it to be contacted at.

Really it should be this hard to find a qualified person to run a cash register. It isn't exactly skilled labor.
At this skill level, you may well be right. But you also may not be targeting the right population demographic either.

Just a suggestion... talk to the local 'Employment Office', give them your specs, etc, and let them do the initial screening for you. That way you only have to deal with the final interview/screening.

Good luck.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 15:29   #96
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Each post you write makes you seems dumber than the last.
Coming from you it is a compliment.

I bet Citizen of Dreams can fieldstrip AK blindfolded faster than you can put condom on the cucumber.
Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 15:46   #97
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
Coming from you it is a compliment.

I bet Citizen of Dreams can fieldstrip AK blindfolded faster than you can put condom on the cucumber.
Having never put a condom on a cucumber, you very may be right. All the little bumps might slow it down considerably; in your experience, do they?
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 16:08   #98
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

Have they gone to cucumbers now? It used to be bananas. I'll bet someone complained that was racist.

Anyway, when I had to hire booksellers, I could eliminate over half the applicants just by giving them a stack of books to alphabetize by authors' last names.

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 16:12   #99
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

duplicate post

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

Last edited by Mrs.Cicero; 11-14-2012 at 17:37..
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 16:45   #100
Glockjunkie2

[QUOTE=certifiedfunds;we 4th grade?[/QUOTE]

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Glockjunkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote