GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:07   #51
Tx-SIG229

thank god jack-in-the-box will hire parolees...
Old 11-11-2012, 10:30   #52
John Galt
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfire View Post
You work in my business and the job description is "what the boss wants you to do while you are on the clock".

The 'not my job line' may fly on a union floor, but you're not being paid to milk a time clock, you are being paid to serve the dynamic needs of the business as an entity. Any labor you are qualified to do is within your sphere of duties should the boss determine that need.

I wouldn't expect someone who never picked up a circular saw to go cut me a bunch of 2x4's to length to stick out a wall.

I wouldn't expect someone classified as disabled due to a bad knee to be expected to bend down and pick up that scrap of paper without assistance, such as from a broom/dustpan combo with handles at least chest height. To this end that person will be less likely to end up being asked to pick up that piece of paper, because if someone else is closer then the tool needed, guess what the more efficient use of labor versus time is?

If you don't want to do what you are being asked to do, you will be replaced with someone else who will. Not that hard.

Pretty much anything else can be taught. Someone wants to show up and do what they are told, they can stay. Someone wants to show up and try to dictate to management how to do their job and they can go hinder someone else's business.
I work production machining/industrial maintenance in a non-union shop. I've got 15 years in this plant and 23 years machining experiance. Without trying to brag, I am very good at my job. If you ask me to clean the toilets because your janitor called in, well thats probably not going to happen. You could fire me, and train somebody else to do my job. But it would probably make more sense to find someone else to clean the toilet.

The only person that makes slavery possible... is the slave.

Last edited by John Galt; 11-11-2012 at 10:35..
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:42   #53
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
When I have a little time to burn, I'll do that too.

Cashier: "That'll be $4.37."
Me: "Here's $5.12."
Cashier:{deer in headlight panic}(tries to get rid of me with a dollar bill instead of correct change)
When I worked at WalMart I had a customer try that on me. The sad part was that the joke was on him. He miscalculated and then complained that I didn't give him the right change.. He made a fuss until I explained it to him......

The problem is not that we were smarter in our youth, it's that we received better training.....

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Detectorist; 11-11-2012 at 10:43..
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:00   #54
RenoF250

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
I work production machining/industrial maintenance in a non-union shop. I've got 15 years in this plant and 23 years machining experiance. Without trying to brag, I am very good at my job. If you ask me to clean the toilets because your janitor called in, well thats probably not going to happen. You could fire me, and train somebody else to do my job. But it would probably make more sense to find someone else to clean the toilet.
You need to learn the phrase "it all pays the same." I would clean the toilet and laugh that I am getting paid $40/hour (or whatever you get) to do it. Probably take my time and do an extra nice job. When they want to know why the machining is not getting done "just cleaning the toilet here boss." If your manager wants to misallocate resources that is his problem.

That said, if I was your manager and there was no janitor, I would clean the freaking toilet and that is likely what happens in most small businesses - the owner does the crap work.
RenoF250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:03   #55
RenoF250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
When I worked at WalMart I had a customer try that on me. The sad part was that the joke was on him. He miscalculated and then complained that I didn't give him the right change.. He made a fuss until I explained it to him......

The problem is not that we were smarter in our youth, it's that we received better training.....
We did not have our heads buried in Facebook/twitter etc. Kids have no attention span these days. Teachers have their work cut out for them. My son is doing algebra in 4th grade and getting plenty of homework. He has an A in math but I still don't think any of it is sticking. I bet he forgets it all over summer. His head is in the clouds and I have not been able to get it out.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:08   #56
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
We did not have our heads buried in Facebook/twitter etc. Kids have no attention span these days. Teachers have their work cut out for them. My son is doing algebra in 4th grade and getting plenty of homework. He has an A in math but I still don't think any of it is sticking. I bet he forgets it all over summer. His head is in the clouds and I have not been able to get it out.
You let your son play on Facebook and Twitter in the 4th grade?
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:10   #57
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Unqual'd applicants certainly are out there.

There are also the losers trying to rider the unemployment gravy train.

But the complete UE pic includes plenty of employers not hiring or laying off because of the terror of Obamacare.

For some bizarre reason people knew Romney was the last chance to repeal it but pissed the opportunity away. But as we all know half the country are complete idiots and maybe they thought the SCOTUS was last word, when it wasn't.

Employees are now liabilities, not assets. They're something to be feared. They join unions, they qualify as headcount by which Obamacare can be required and therefore have to be paid for.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:40   #58
RenoF250

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
You let your son play on Facebook and Twitter in the 4th grade?
No neither. Not on the internet at all, no phone either. But it seems to be a short attentions span internet mindset they pick up from all around them. I can't really nail it down but you see it in many kids these days.
Old 11-11-2012, 13:47   #59
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Most people are morons. I have hired and fired hundreds of people for all sorts of stupid things. Most have poor judgement, terrible math skills, third grade writing skills, and they don't understand punctuality.
Old 11-11-2012, 14:01   #60
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneA View Post
Really it should be this hard to find a qualified person to run a cash register. It isn't exactly skilled labor.
You don't get it. You need to apply for jobs to keep receiving some types of benefits. Every week they need to tell them how many applications they filled out. If they fill them out that way they never get a job but still get their check.

They could be just playing the welfare game.

Then again some are just that stupid.
Old 11-11-2012, 17:04   #61
Haldor
Retired EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfo View Post
I guess I am one of the dopey ones. But if you handed me $5.12 for a $4.37 bill I would ask you what the hell are you doing.
Looking for 3 quarters in change. I am with him, I hate getting pennies, nickels or dimes back in change. Far as I am concerned the quarter is the new penny. There is no reason for anything smaller. What can you buy that costs less than $0.25
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 15:50   #62
dwhite53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
You don't get it. You need to apply for jobs to keep receiving some types of benefits. Every week they need to tell them how many applications they filled out. If they fill them out that way they never get a job but still get their check.

They could be just playing the welfare game.

Then again some are just that stupid.
I understand here in NC all you have to do is log into your Employment Security account and enter where you applied for jobs. Two applications this week, you get a check.

If people had to go downtown every Friday and stand in line for 3 to 5 hours, like it used to be, they'd find a job. It would be easier.

State government thinks it's saving money hiring less employees by doing the online thing. However it makes to too easy to be a slacker. I'm sure it's costing them (me) hundreds of millions.

All the Best,
D. White
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:32   #63
meleors
Cranky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneA View Post
Funny thing is that I don't pay minimum wage. I always try to start at least $8/hour. And the company I work for has a lot of upward mobility.
Funny thing is that here in Illinois, minimum wage is $8.25 and the workers aren't any better!
meleors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:56   #64
Walk Soft

My favorite line is "but I can only work twenty hours a week because I am on SSI/disability".I always respond "Well nevermind,I only hire people who want to work".
Walk Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:02   #65
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx-SIG229 View Post
thank god jack-in-the-box will hire parolees...
There are a lot of restaurants that hire parolees. One of many reasons why I don't live in the town I police and why I never eat out at work in uniform.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:22   #66
DanaT
Pharaoh

As some of you might know, I am into multiple things to make money. I am part owner in a few companies and one company that developed some medical technology is 100% owned by myself. It is mostly an IP company and has never had an employee other than myself.

Last month I got 7 unemployment claim from people. I have never had an employee yet somehow they think they should get unemployment. I notified the state that fraud was going on and they basically said it is so rampant that its not worth following up on (a few more words, but that is the short version).

People will lie, cheat and steal for unemployment.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:24   #67
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
There are a lot of restaurants that hire parolees. One of many reasons why I don't live in the town I police and why I never eat out at work in uniform.
??? I dont get it. Why would you not eat in a restaurant in uniform?
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:44   #68
RedTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
I assume because some people hate cops. Especially people you may have personally put in the slammer.
RedTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:51   #69
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Mustard stains
Old 11-13-2012, 09:59   #70
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Mustard stains
So that I dont spill on my clothes, I just tuck a napkin into my shirt.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:15   #71
sappy13

Its bad, but the intelligence of a lot of americans is going downhill like in the movie Idiocracy. Stupid people getting together creates stupid babies, which in turns just keeps the cycle going.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30   #72
tarpleyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtpwnz View Post
I know exactly how you feel. You think it's hard trying to find a cashier. Try sorting through applications for a carpet cleaning technition with a good driving record, clear drug screen, no criminal record and trustworthy enough to send to customers homes alone and be responsible for $100,000 worth of equipment.

That's me...20 years ago though...sorry man.

tarpleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:00   #73
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
So that I dont spill on my clothes, I just tuck a napkin into my shirt.
covers up badge
Old 11-13-2012, 12:09   #74
tarpleyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reissman View Post
I was at a sports store yesterday and my bill was $170. I had $140 cash and wanted to put the rest on my debit card. it took the checkout bimbo and two managers to figure out how to do it.... My wife was ready to reach across the counter and strangle them...

Its rampant...
In all fairness, that was probably a limitation of their crappy POS system and not their math skills.

tarpleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:40   #75
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpleyg View Post
In all fairness, that was probably a limitation of their crappy POS system and not their math skills.
I would also call any system like that a piece of s*** too.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
2x4=8, not 14.