Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:53   #1
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Educate me on the Ak-47

EDIT: Posted to early...meant to say AK-74

I probably missed the boat on this one, but this week I started looking at the AK-74 platform and the 5.45 round. I've been a big fan of 7.62x39 and love traditional AKs, but when I started looking at the prices of the 74 and 5.45, I have to say I got tempted.

So what can you guys share of your experiences with the platform? What does the 74and the round do that make it stand out?

What about the bulk ammo that is circulating? I've seen 1K rounds for under $200 for a while now. Is it mil-surp and corrosive? ( I shoot other mil-surps, so corrosive isnt a big deal).

What model do you shoot and what have been your experiences?

Most importantly, if you own one, would you buy it again?

Last edited by LSUAdman; 11-26-2012 at 13:45..
LSUAdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:12   #2
Polak
(pō'lāk')

I own a Saiga 5.45 that I converted and shoot corrosive ammo. I'd buy 3 more if the price didn't go up so much.
Glock 27Gen 4
Polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:04   #3
HexHead

I've got a Polish Tantal AK-74 and a WASR AK-47. The 74 is really fun to shoot, even moreso than the 47.

I find my Tantal to be more picky on ammo. I originally bought some Tula black box for it and it wouldn't even cycle. I was getting all kinds of ejection and feeding problems. Originally though I had bad mags and switched out the original Polish steel mags for E. German Bakelite ones, and some Tapco ones. Same deal. I was so frustrated I was ready to dump the rifle.

Then I ran some of the Commie surplus 5.45x39 through it and it ran like a top. I noticed it was a more powerful feeling round. All mags feed flawlessly now and I've had none of the feeding, ejection, or cases stuck in the chamber issues I had with the Tula commercial ammo. Load up on the cheap surplus ammo while it's still available. It's getting tougher to find. Yeah, it's corrosive.

With the muzzle brake on the 74, there's virtually no recoil compared to the 7.62x39 round. And the 53 grain FMJ bullet is a nasty little bugger that causes horrific wounds.

Funny, the rifle runs perfectly with the ammo it was designed to use. Go figure.

Last edited by HexHead; 11-26-2012 at 11:08..
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:17   #4
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Hex, that is interesting about the mil surp vs Tula ammo - but you're right. It would make sense that it runs like top with the traditional vs commercial ammo.

I really like the Tantal, and it's one of the reasons I have started to give the 47 a second look. I hate to add another caliber to the safe, but being able to cook off a bunch of rounds downrange without worrying about breaking the bank makes these guns look very tempting.
Old 11-26-2012, 15:57   #5
Dubble-Tapper

sgl-31. end of discussion. 5.45 ammo is much more affordable than 5.56.

the 31 has a nice likening to the russian service rifle the 74m

good russian receivers, chrome lined barrel. corrosive ammo not an issue unless you are a slob.

Last edited by Dubble-Tapper; 11-26-2012 at 15:59..
Dubble-Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 18:52   #6
Hamrhed
AKs & Glocks

My shooter is an Arsenal AK74, and I wouldnt trade it for anything else. I had a CAI 74 before this one and it was a nice shooter as well, but I wanted a Russian rifle. The milsurp ammo you see in spam cans is referred to as 7n6, and it is corrosive; this is not a problem if you clean your rifle soon after shooting- and there are plenty of youtube vids (good ones by GTers Plouffedaddy and Sturmghewere) on cleanup after shooting corrosive. The non-corrosive Russian ammo is also very good and not a whole lot more expensive than the 7n6...

Magazine and ammo prices/avaiability are questionable right now, so plan on spending some money to get acclimated to the caliber... but it sure is a fun round to shoot

Last edited by Hamrhed; 11-26-2012 at 18:54..
Hamrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 22:37   #7
Butcher
NRA Life Member

I can't find any SGL31's anywhere yet (I'm being told late Dec to mid Jan availability)

But I'm buying the 7n6 whenever I see a deal on it. Recently got a case of 2160 for $351 (shipped)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31   #8
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
I can't find any SGL31's anywhere yet (I'm being told late Dec to mid Jan availability)

But I'm buying the 7n6 whenever I see a deal on it. Recently got a case of 2160 for $351 (shipped)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I've seen the same. They were all over before the election, of course we know how tht turned out.