SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 21:42   #1
glockbanger

Rolling a Stop Sign, what to do?

I got stopped and ticketed for rolling a stop sign tonight. I probably rolled it but I honestly can't remember, but I certainly did not run through it with out slowing down at all.

My question is, if I attest it in court. Will the police officer be able to use a video against me?

If there is no video proof, is there any chance I could get out of the ticket if the cop is present?

Is there any chance the cop will not show up?

Thanks

Edit: Thank you to everyone who responded seriously without getting up on your soapbox. I appreciate it, you guys are super cool

To all the finger pointing dorks out there, shut up. Please find something more important to rant about than minor traffic violations.

Last edited by glockbanger; 11-09-2012 at 08:05..
Old 11-07-2012, 21:43   #2
JBnTX
None

I guess you want the winning lottery numbers too?

Pay the ticket, then start stopping at stop signs.

Last edited by JBnTX; 11-07-2012 at 21:48..
Old 11-07-2012, 21:46   #3
HollowHead
Firm member

The Sixth Ammendment affords you the right to confront your accuser(s). Go for it. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
Old 11-07-2012, 21:51   #4
GRIMLET
Deceased

Will you testify that you don't remember if you stopped or not?

The officer will probably testify he watched your wheels and they never stopped rolling.

Your only hope is the officer might not show.

Pay the ticket or enjoy a non-paid day in court in which your chance of winning is probably low.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 11-07-2012, 21:52   #5
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockbanger View Post
I got stopped and ticketed for rolling a stop sign tonight. I probably rolled it but I honestly can't remember, but I certainly did not run through it with out slowing down at all.

My question is, if I attest it in court. Will the police officer be able to use a video against me?

If there is no video proof, is there any chance I could get out of the ticket if the cop is present?

Thanks
Yes, any and all evidence can be used against you.

Without video proof, his testimony of you did it versus your testimony of "I don't know" will win and you will be found guilty.

Very slim chance the cop won't show up. We get paid to be there and it's required, by law, that we show up when subpoenaed. Of course, you may get lucky.

Last edited by nikerret; 11-07-2012 at 21:52..
Old 11-07-2012, 21:53   #6
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Although it's getting to be common, it doesn't make it right. You got caught, pay the fine.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
Old 11-07-2012, 21:53   #7
Butcher
NRA Life Member

No video is required. The officer's sworn testimony trumps yours. If you have a clean record, plead "no contest" or "guilty with an explanation" or whatever your state calls it, and tell the judge the same thing: "your Honor, I honestly don't remember if I fully stopped behind the line. If I rolled through like the officer said, I'm sorry. I came here to beg for mercy from the Court." You will most likely be given a fine without points, and a verdict of probation without judgment, which precludes you from receiving any points on your license and adversely affecting insurance rates.

Or you could have a judge who rolled out of bed the wrong way and he throws the book at you. Ya never know. Always better to dress professionally, accept responsibility, beg for mercy, and hope for the best.

Or you could just pay the ticket and take the points. If you have a ****ty record I wouldn't even waste the courts time. If you offend the judge then he could increase the recommended fine on the ticket to several hundred dollars, whatever your state allows (here in MD, non jailable traffic offenses all have recommended fines ranging from $25 to $290+, but if you contest them in court the judge has the power to raise any fine up to $500 per offense. In theory, a $25 seatbelt violation could cost you $500 if you piss off the judge.

Last edited by Butcher; 11-07-2012 at 21:59..
Old 11-07-2012, 22:01   #8
TactiCool

Quote:

Thanks
Dude are you serious?

Cops love going to court because they get paid, so yes you can count on that. Also, when it comes down to a verbal arguement, the judge will side with the officer every time.

I'll let you in on a little secret though, your best chance to win is to go with a trial by written declaration. Or if you're not happy with the outcome, trial de novo.

I have beaten several tickets using the TBWD.
Old 11-07-2012, 22:04   #9

Admit to nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
Old 11-07-2012, 22:05   #10
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
If you rolled it, you ran it. There is no difference.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
Old 11-07-2012, 22:08   #11
Mushinto
Master Member

Your testimony that you do not remember something just reinforces testimony that you did it.

Plead and pay is the only honorable option.

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always.

Last edited by Mushinto; 11-07-2012 at 22:08..
Old 11-07-2012, 22:19   #12
droidfire

if you didn't come to a complete stop for the required time then you are probably one of those people who keeps trying to run me over on backstreet intersections with low traffic when I cross the street on foot.

i'm happy to hear you got ticketed, the officers in my city just ignore it and being a pedestrian is more dangerous then it should be.

what you did is no different then texting or the various other things drivers do instead of paying attention to where they fling their rolling battering ram.

you already admitted you can't remember what you did, and that you were oblivious to what was around you...else you would have seen the police officer. Doubtless the judge will conclude the same when you show up and attest to this.

Unless you were planning to commit to purjury and hope for the best?

Last edited by droidfire; 11-07-2012 at 22:21..
Old 11-07-2012, 22:22   #13
DaGump
CLM Number 158
Enigma

Stop Or Slow Down?

A lawyer runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a Sheriffs Deputy. He thinks that he is smarter than the Deputy because he is sure that he has a better education. He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the deputies expense.

Deputy says, "License and registration, please."

Lawyer says, "What for?"

Deputy says, "You didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign."

Lawyer says, "I slowed down, and no one was coming."

Deputy says, "You still didn't come to a complete stop. License and registration, please."

Lawyer says, "What's the difference?"

Deputy says, "The difference is you have to come to a complete stop, that's the law. License and registration, please!"

Lawyer says, "If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I'll give you my license and registration and you give me the ticket, if not you let me go and no ticket."

Deputy says, "Exit your vehicle, sir."

At this point, the deputy takes out his nightstick and starts beating the ever-loving snot out of the lawyer and says "Do you want me to stop or just slow down?"
-Lazarus Long
Old 11-07-2012, 22:25   #14
greatwun

Send a message via AIM to greatwun
I'd take the chance and hope he doesn't show up to court.

Old 11-07-2012, 22:30   #15
Radam3

I got the same ticket many a years ago now. Went to my court date, and officer was there. Be polite and professional. I admitted guilt and asked to be only fined with no points. Both judge and officer had no problem with this. (granted only the judge mattered...) The county got their money and I was out $90 bucks (I think) but nothing went on my record, so no insurance hike. Obviously it helps if your driving record is clean for this option to work...

Best of luck. Remember, be polite and professional. It means a lot.

Before you can lead, you must refuse to follow
Old 11-07-2012, 23:02   #16
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactiCool View Post
Dude are you serious?

Cops love going to court because they get paid, so yes you can count on that. Also, when it comes down to a verbal arguement, the judge will side with the officer every time.

I'll let you in on a little secret though, your best chance to win is to go with a trial by written declaration. Or if you're not happy with the outcome, trial de novo.

I have beaten several tickets using the TBWD.
Depends on the contract and the area.

We get paid 4 hours if we show up and leave 1 minute after arrival if cut loose.

A nearby agency does not pay their officers for traffic court. Their officers never show up. The subpoenas in CA for traffic court cannot go to warrant if you blow them off. The department can hammer you but if they did they would have to pay. We get at least a stern talking to if we miss traffic court.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
Old 11-07-2012, 23:06   #17
glockbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfire View Post
if you didn't come to a complete stop for the required time then you are probably one of those people who keeps trying to run me over on backstreet intersections with low traffic when I cross the street on foot.

It is quite presumptuous to say "one of those people". Hopefully they'll keep trying.

i'm happy to hear you got ticketed, the officers in my city just ignore it and being a pedestrian is more dangerous then it should be.

I'll be happy to hear when they succeed.

what you did is no different then texting or the various other things drivers do instead of paying attention to where they fling their rolling battering ram.
Harp, harp..... harp
you already admitted you can't remember what you did, and that you were oblivious to what was around you...else you would have seen the police officer. Doubtless the judge will conclude the same when you show up and attest to this.
Building a case against me as we speak.. Golf clap.
Unless you were planning to commit to purjury and hope for the best?
Wittingly accusatory, yet offensive! Nice touch.
Old 11-07-2012, 23:09   #18
CAcop

Quote:
I got stopped and ticketed for rolling a stop sign tonight. I probably rolled it but I honestly can't remember, but I certainly did not run through it with out slowing down at all.So you are admitting you failed to stop.

My question is, if I attest it in court. Will the police officer be able to use a video against me?Yup.

If there is no video proof, is there any chance I could get out of the ticket if the cop is present?Sure if you can convince the judge there is a valid reason for you to violate the law.

Is there any chance the cop will not show up?Possibly see other post.

Thanks
Please do not be "that guy" who admits the violation then starts to argue with the judge that the law should not apply to him.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
Old 11-07-2012, 23:17   #19
mr00jimbo

I don't remember the last time I came to a complete stop at a stop sign...I'm John Dillinger here!
Old 11-07-2012, 23:36   #20
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGump View Post
Stop Or Slow Down?

A lawyer runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a Sheriffs Deputy. He thinks that he is smarter than the Deputy because he is sure that he has a better education. He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the deputies expense.

Deputy says, "License and registration, please."

Lawyer says, "What for?"

Deputy says, "You didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign."

Lawyer says, "I slowed down, and no one was coming."

Deputy says, "You still didn't come to a complete stop. License and registration, please."

Lawyer says, "What's the difference?"

Deputy says, "The difference is you have to come to a complete stop, that's the law. License and registration, please!"

Lawyer says, "If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I'll give you my license and registration and you give me the ticket, if not you let me go and no ticket."

Deputy says, "Exit your vehicle, sir."

At this point, the deputy takes out his nightstick and starts beating the ever-loving snot out of the lawyer and says "Do you want me to stop or just slow down?"

The answer is really quite simple, man up and pay the ticket. You ran the stop sign, got caught, got ticketed, no man up and accept the consequences. Don't like it? Quit whining and learn to obey the law when the cops are around. The law states you must come to a COMPLETE stop, that means your car has ZERO forward momentum, and you're fully BEHIND the stop sign. Doesn't matter if there is any other traffic or not. The law is the law, and if you don't want to deal with the consequences when you get caught breaking it, then don't break it, duh.
Old 11-07-2012, 23:36   #21
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
although it's getting to be common, it doesn't make it right. You got caught, pay the fine.
+ 1

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 11-07-2012, 23:39   #22
goldenlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
Admit to nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.
Tell the judge the officer solicited sex from you in exchange for not writing you a ticket.

Roll your eyes at the judge.

That wins every time.
Old 11-07-2012, 23:43   #23
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Years ago in CA, just showing up and signing in with the clerk got me an option of a fine only. Clerk said if I could pay the fine right now ($90) I would get no points and be free to go.

I had $85 on me and showed her that was it. (I came in to ask for an extension to pay, because I had to deploy for 4 months and while I was gone it might turn into a bench warrant.)

They had a policy (San Bernadino County, Victorville court, 1988) that if I could pay the majority of it right then and there (I think 75% or better), case closed.

I paid it and went my merry way, broke for the next 10 days, but free of the hassle and worry.

I also got a ticket here in Vegas 8yrs ago (15 over in a 35mph) if I took the online drivers course and passed it, pay the fine and no points. Course was $75, fine was $125, but no points and I was guilt of 20+ over, cop gave me a break, so I was happy to pay!

Good luck!
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan

Last edited by JimBianchi; 11-07-2012 at 23:44..
Old 11-08-2012, 00:10   #24
GVFlyer

As you committed a criminal offense (where you free to leave once you were pulled over?), ask for a trial by jury. Next, waive your right to a "quick and speedy trial" and ask for a continuance in order to better prepare your defense. Finally, ask for a change of venue to get on another docket. After you have gone through these legal wickets, much time will have transpired and it is unlikely that the police officer will show up to testify against you. When he doesn't, ask for a "dismissal for lack of prosecution".

http://www.specialops.org/
Old 11-08-2012, 00:37   #25
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
Very slim chance the cop won't show up. We get paid to be there and it's required, by law, that we show up when subpoenaed. Of course, you may get lucky.
You notice something said in his sentence. "We get paid to be there". Figure out which day the cop that wrote you a ticket has off, hopehsi shift doesnt change, and change your court date to a day he doesnt work. That is your best chance of him not showing up. They like to get paid to show up.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
Closed Thread