Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:59   #1
OrangePwr9

Does a G26 make sense?

OK, looking for a 9mm for carry, preferably pocket or IWB. My current 9s are either too big, too heavy or both. They are a G19 (too big), a Kahr K9 (too heavy & slightly too big...but close), and a Browning HP (too big & too heavy). I like each of these and will keep them.

Pretty much convinced myself that a Kahr CW9, CM9 or PM9 would be the right choice, but keep being drawn back to the G26. A lot of people here love them and they've got a reputation for reliability and accuracy

Both my G19 and the K9 have been exceptionally reliable and the K9 is very accurate, but the smaller/polymer Kahrs seem to be hit or miss in the reliability dept.

Right now I pocket carry a J-frame Smith Airweight and take it with me more than I have any other firearm. It has spoiled me. However, a couple more rounds and more punch would be appreciated.

Have come close to buying a G26 a couple of times but am always put off by its bulkiness. I don't think it'll work in the role I have in mind. Don't want to buy another 9 I'll probably love but never carry. So, with this in mind, does a G26 make sense? Anyone gone to a 9mm polymer Kahr for carry, regretted it, and switched to the G26?
OrangePwr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:10   #2
PaulMason

How do you plan on carring - pocket, inside waste band?

Unloaded - no mag - there is about a 3 oz weight difference - according to the Glock site between the 19 & 26
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:22   #3
bklynpete
Viet Nam Vet

Go with the CM9, lighter, thinner and smaller then a G26. It's also easier to pocket carry. I carry one in the Summer and bought a CW45 for Winter carry. I had a G26, and traded it in on a G27 that I got under the GSSF program, but really don't plan on carrying that much, now that I have the CW45.
bklynpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:28   #4
cowboy1964

G26 loaded is 26 oz. G19 loaded is 30 oz. PM9 loaded is around 20 or slightly less (can't recall). Size difference is huge too. The only reason I have the PM9 is for pocket carry.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:46   #5
CDW4ME

Glock 26 for IWB appendix carry or Smartcarry.
IMO it's too big for pocket.
IMO too small for strong side IWB - 19 better for that.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:12   #6
HenryinFlorida

The G26 gives you a lot of flexibility. With the factory magazine if hide for IWB carry really great. With a magazine from a G17 and a mag spacer you have a great home defense gun. Can't beat the capacity of the G17 magazine.
HenryinFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:28   #7
ak103k

Quote:
Does a G26 make sense?
Absolutely, as a back up. Mine usually rides in an ankle holster.

If youre going to carry IWB, might as well be a 17.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 13:20   #8
windancr

G26 makes a great IWB carry. Not for everyone, depends on your likes and preferences.
For me it works great

Alex
windancr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 13:33   #9
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePwr9 View Post
OK, looking for a 9mm for carry, preferably pocket or IWB.

Pretty much convinced myself that a Kahr CW9, CM9 or PM9 would be the right choice.

Right now I pocket carry a J-frame Smith Airweight and take it with me more than I have any other firearm. It has spoiled me. However, a couple more rounds and more punch would be appreciated.

Have come close to buying a G26 a couple of times but am always put off by its bulkiness. I don't think it'll work in the role I have in mind.
You answered your own question. Get the Kahr CM9!
Old 11-03-2012, 13:33   #10
4 glocks

I have a G26, CM9, J frame, LCP. The G26 is large for pocket carry, it will work in a coat pocket or cargo shorts.

I realy like the G26 but when I need to pocket carry I use the LCP. Nothing beets the LCP for pocket carry. When it comes to firepower the G26 is hard to beat with G19 or G17 mags as backup. I ankle carry the G26 and that works.
I would recommend the G26 even if you find it to big for pocket carry it a great gun.
Old 11-03-2012, 13:37   #11
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePwr9 View Post
OK, looking for a 9mm for carry, preferably pocket or IWB. My current 9s are either too big, too heavy or both. They are a G19 (too big), a Kahr K9 (too heavy & slightly too big...but close), and a Browning HP (too big & too heavy). I like each of these and will keep them.

Pretty much convinced myself that a Kahr CW9, CM9 or PM9 would be the right choice, but keep being drawn back to the G26. A lot of people here love them and they've got a reputation for reliability and accuracy

Both my G19 and the K9 have been exceptionally reliable and the K9 is very accurate, but the smaller/polymer Kahrs seem to be hit or miss in the reliability dept.

Have come close to buying a G26 a couple of times but am always put off by its bulkiness. I don't think it'll work in the role I have in mind. Don't want to buy another 9 I'll probably love but never carry. So, with this in mind, does a G26 make sense? Anyone gone to a 9mm polymer Kahr for carry, regretted it, and switched to the G26?
One day Glock will make a USA-made single-stack 9mm, There is the G36 single-stack .45 ACP. One day . . . .
Old 11-03-2012, 13:39   #12
Happypuppy

I carry either a 19 or 26. The airweight is the best pocket carry IMO and you won't find a better one. I think the reason other than the round cylinder it does not look like a gun in your pocket if it prints at all with Lightweight pants.

I carry the 26 appendix. It is far better than the 19 as the longer barrel is not as comfortable. Appendix I prefer the thicker grip of the double stack it makes drawing quicker I find vs any single stack I have tried

IWB 3-5 o'clock at him it is a toss up, both work well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 13:40   #13
mdpbowtech

I wouldnt buy a different carry gun if I was you. If you like the jframe and the way it carrys I would just stick with that. Do u really think you need the few extra rounds? Save your money and stick with what you have.
mdpbowtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 13:44   #14
fastbolt

I've tried and used a number of smallish 9mm pistols over the years. Some suited my perceived needs better than others.

After having recently borrowed a Shield 9 for an afternoon, I rather suspect that once I pick up a Shield 9 in the next few months, my pair of G26's, 3913, CS9 & SW999c (think P99 AS Compact) will be spending a LOT more time in the safe.

I stopped favoring IWB holsters some years ago, so I can't offer any suggestions about that carry method. Suit yourself in that regard.

The G26 is a nicely sized smallish 9mm pistol. I simply found the Shield 9 to offer a nicely slim profile, both the slide & grip frame, which seems as though it will suit some of my carry methods a bit better than my existing smallish 9's. Handy.

BTW, I find the S&W J-frames to fit many of my perceived needs, too. I have 5 Airweights and a couple of steel-framed J's (older Bodyguard & a 3" M36). It's my pair of 642-1's & pair of M&P 340's (1 w/lock & 1 w/o)that see the majority of my daily carry use. Handy retirement CCW guns, but then I'm a long time revolver shooter who has worked to maintain my D/DAO trigger & reloading skills.

Lots of decent choices available. Suit yourself and then invest the necessary time to develop, master & then maintain your shooting skillset ... regardless of what you decide to use.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 14:14   #15
M24C

In handguns the only thing I own is Glocks. So between the G17 and the G26 I can use the same magazines. I usually carry a spare so it is the G17 magazine. No guessing on what I have on. The same could be for you with the G19. I bought the G26 for pocket carry and I probably do about 25% of the time. I am not that big I weight 175 and I'm 5'8. I really don't have much trouble pocket carrying the G26. But for me it was largest capacity for the compact gun, consistency of trigger feel and magazine interchangeability.

The PM9 will be smaller, lighter and less capacity. I'm not saying that is a bad gun. That is what it is compared to the G26. But for me other than the lighter, for consistency of shooting and accepting G17 mags and higher capacity is why I bought the G26 over any other compact gun.

Ultimately you have to decide what is the best features you are looking for.

Good luck in your search.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
40 Club number #164
M24C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 14:34   #16
John Biltz

I carry a G26. For my money a G26 is the smallest gun I would care to have to fight with and the biggest I would care to carry all day every day. In the summer I carry with the standard 10 round magazine and a GAP floor plate with a T-shirt over it. In the winter I carry with the Glock factory +2 magazine. In my mind 11 to 13 rounds is plenty of capacity. It shoots like a bigger gun and carries like the small gun it is. Its pleasant to shoot and practice with, which is not something those smaller guns can claim.

If I was you I would keep what you have for pocket carry because its a good choice and get a G26 for IWB carry. If you try to do both with the same gun the physics just will not work out. If you are going to pocket carry something has to be compromised, size, capacity, or caliber. There is just no way to get around that.
Old 11-03-2012, 14:36   #17
Bruce M

I had spent a fair amount of time with a J frame as a backup and/or weekend gun (perhaps a decade.) I have never been a fan of pocket carry but will admit for a quick errand once or a hundred times a J frame ended up in my pocket. A couple of years ago I finally got a Glock 26 and it quickly became a weekend companion and has spent some time on my ankle during the work week. I continue to believe that the Glock 26 is about Glock's finest offering. That said, after a couple thousand rounds through it my Shield is in a position to take the position of the G26. It feels as if I have "known" it for much much longer. My only concern with it is that I do not think currently there are thousand of Shields out there that have tens of thousands of rounds through them over a decade without issues. On the other hand mine has a couple thousand rounds through it now with no problems.

If you are an absolute fan of pocket carry I would vote for keeping the J frame as in the front pocket for me it beats either pistol. Otherwise I would get a G26 or a Shield or as said here on GT get both.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 15:45   #18
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post

I stopped favoring IWB holsters some years ago, so I can't offer any suggestions about that carry method. Suit yourself in that regard.
How do you carry?
Old 11-03-2012, 15:51   #19
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 glocks View Post
I have a G26, CM9, J frame, LCP. The G26 is large for pocket carry, it will work in a coat pocket or cargo shorts.

I realy like the G26 but when I need to pocket carry I use the LCP. Nothing beets the LCP for pocket carry. When it comes to firepower the G26 is hard to beat with G19 or G17 mags as backup. I ankle carry the G26 and that works.
I would recommend the G26 even if you find it to big for pocket carry it a great gun.
+1 to this.
You already have the J-Frame for deep cover dress slacks.
In large pockets the G26 will work.
Then on a belt you can add X-grips and G17/19 mags for capacity.
General GlockingGeneral GlockingGeneral Glocking

Last edited by barth; 11-03-2012 at 15:52..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 16:00   #20
byf43
NRA Life Member

The G26 is a fantastic carry pistol!!!

Don Hume 715 IWB or Don Hume "JIT Slide" OWB, or Bianchi "Remedy" OWB holster.

IF I were to go to something else for concealed carry, it would be a S&W "Shield" in either 9mm or .40 S&W IF I could find the .40.

I've also carried a S&W mdl 36 and a 60, as well as a Charter Arms "Undercover", and never felt under-gunned.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; 11-03-2012 at 16:01..
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 16:00   #21
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
+1 to this.
You already have the J-Frame for deep cover dress slacks.
In large pockets the G26 will work.
Then on a belt you can add X-grips and G17/19 mags for capacity.
General Glocking
Nice set up on the 26

Is that a ported barrel? And do you find it helps?
Old 11-03-2012, 16:02   #22
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post
How do you carry?
OWB & pocket holster.

IWB & shoulder holster carry are methods I generally stopped preferring some years ago.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 16:02   #23
RonS

I've carried my G26 in a cargo pant pocket for brief periods. It is like having a small dog in your pocket. I chose a Galco Combat Master OWB and an untucked denim shirt or fleece jacket. The cargo pocket is concealed in theory in that it is covered by fabric. If anyone in the area did not know I was carrying they were walking around texting without one of those camera apps that shows you where you are going on the screen.

I would still chose the same gun, the 10+1 with 12 backup is the deciding factor for me, too many old folks around here getting attacked by multiple thugs.
Old 11-03-2012, 16:12   #24
Sage46

It's really your preference. Mine the G26 strong side, IWB. Mag has +2 extension as does the 2 on the belt. On the ankle S&W Body Guard and extra mag. Range practice often @ 21' then backup to 45 and find the ammo you like. It's what you feel secure with
Sage46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 16:26   #25
GlockRWH

Let's not forget that the G26 is a fantastically accurate pistol. It may be a little wider than the others, but it hits point of aim. May be one of the most accurate handguns I've ever shot.
Black Rifle Club #226
GlockRWH is offline   Reply With Quote