Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:49   #1
Detectorist

Should stores be open on Thanksgiving?

I say no. Let the families be together without having to worry about going to work at night for those silly sales. We already have enough sales.

JMHO.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:51   #2
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Tough call.

I think stores should be closed. People need a rest. BUT, the independent in me says that stores should be able to choose. . .and workers should be able to tell them to shove it.

Sadly, there isn't enough ability for workers to claim "shove it" in any sorts of numbers to stop it, so possibly government intervention would work.

And I HATE government intervention. (Although in rare occasions, it is effective.)
Old 11-19-2012, 11:52   #3
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

I say it "should be" up to the store owner. Isn't that how it is now? Isn't that what we're thankful for - freedom?

You dang communists just melt the ice in my drink with all your dang controlling of every aspect of our lives...

gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:53   #4
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

who-ever wants to open. I usually am working for some portion of thanksgiving day, as are many 1st responders, flight attendants, bus drivers, cab drivers, etc.

I have never been to a black friday sale, and generally avoid the malls after xgiving.

Last edited by Gallium; 11-19-2012 at 11:53..
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:54   #5
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
I say no.

Close the damned things down and let people enjoy a day with their families.

The dollar is making people more evil and greedy.

Hell, Black Friday at Lowe's...EVERYONE is required to work. If it's your schedule day off, they just give you a different day instead. It's all about corporate dollars, and that is sad.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07   #6
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
I say no. Let the families be together without having to worry about going to work at night for those silly sales.
A) Didn't we have this same thread last year, like down to the same wording and everything?

B) Why should anyone other than a business owner get to decide when the business will be open?
devildog2067 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:11   #7
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Why should anyone other than a business owner get to decide when the business will be open?
This......

It's not like stores are sending flunkies with guns out to force people to venture out on Thanksgiving Day.

If someone wants to spend the day with their family, so be it. If a store wants to be open and offer cheap deals, so be it. We are talking about adults who should be able to prioritize their lives based on their needs and wants.

Right?

- Sterling Archer
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:15   #8
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Why shouldnt there be? If there are customers wanting to do business, they should be open. Should hospitals and nursing homes be closed? Those people all have families too.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:22   #9
PBCounty

Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
Sure...if the company wants it that way.

I like having access to places on holidays. In my business of 12 years now we are open 24/7 (hospitality / country club kinda stuff) and I have NO problem getting plenty of staff to work the holidays. The line up for the 2X or 2.5X pay often requesting double shifts. We have a few Abners that like to be home on the holidays and they have no difficulty getting their days / shifts covered.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:23   #10
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I say let the stores make the call.

Not all of us have families, or care to deal with our families. We still need to be fed, clothed, happy ending, etc.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:26   #11
czsmithGT

Why not? Do Police and firefighters get the day off?
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:27   #12
Phaze5ive

What if people don't like their family? Seriously, who would rather be stuck with the in-laws when they could be making time and a half?
Phaze5ive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:30   #13
MrsKitty

I am working 10 hours Thursday and if I can, I want to pick up another 6 hour shift. I have also requested that I get every hour possible on Christmas Day and New Years although following my normal schedule, I'll be doing at least 10 hours on those days. Why? I get double-time (if I were fulltime I would get double-time PLUS PTO hours) Where I work is open 24/7. We do a support role in healthcare. A lot of what we do is with ERs and EDs and they never close so as long as they have patients, we'll be working on holidays...

Last year I worked retail and had to work Thanksgiving night. I can't tell you how many customers told me they were sorry we had to work on Thanksgiving night. I finally started telling them if they wasn't in the store spending money that we wouldn't have to be open. Not a one of them understood what I was saying...
Old 11-19-2012, 12:31   #14
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
I say no. Let the families be together without having to worry about going to work at night for those silly sales. We already have enough sales.

JMHO.
Stores should be open or closed, as their managment decides. Not my decision and I don't have any reason to try and make it for them.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:32   #15
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaze5ive View Post
What if people don't like their family? Seriously, who would rather be stuck with the in-laws when they could be making time and a half?
I love my inlaws but I won't be seeing them on the next few holidays and they understand completely.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:34   #16
M2 Carbine

Quote:
Should stores be open on Thanksgiving?
Sure.

Now if I was the store owner I would try to work with my employees as much as possible.

Some employees (like myself that the holidays mean nothing) liked to work on holidays, usually for extra pay.

But the bottom line is, it's a business and if the owner wants to stay open on holidays that's his call.
M2 Carbine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:58   #17
Bruce M

I agree it should be up to the owner/board of directors/stock holders. As much as I am against government intervention, I believe the government should have the option and authority to mandate that some businesses be open on Thanksgiving. A gas station along the turnpike comes to mind, for instance, as a business that it is appropriate for the government to mandate being open on Thanksgiving. As does a hospital or the oriental massage parlor.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 13:02   #18
E-2-E
Long Trail

Business owners call. What's so special about Thanksgiving anyway? I'm going to shove the guest out the door as soon a dessert is finished.
I'm sickened by all religions. Religion has divided people. I don't think there's any difference between the pope wearing a large hat and parading around with a smoking purse and an African painting his face white and praying to a rock.
Howard Stern
E-2-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 13:15   #19
PBCounty

Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I agree it should be up to the owner/board of directors/stock holders. As much as I am against government intervention, I believe the government should have the option and authority to mandate that some businesses be open on Thanksgiving. A gas station along the turnpike comes to mind, for instance, as a business that it is appropriate for the government to mandate being open on Thanksgiving. As does a hospital or the oriental massage parlor.
I am told a local municipality does such when it comes to gas stations and pharmacies...from back when places actually closed for holidays. Don't think the laws would much matter now.
Old 11-19-2012, 14:09   #20
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Stores should be open or closed, as their managment decides. Not my decision and I don't have any reason to try and make it for them.
Hey, look at that. We agree on something again. There's hope for us yet!
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 14:21   #21
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Care to explain why? People should get their gas the day before or after. If they want to be open - fine - but they should not HAVE to be open.

A hospital I understand - nature of that business.

I'm assuming you put "oriental massage parlor" as a bit of a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 11-19-2012 at 14:22..
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 14:22   #22
Patchman
Florist

I'm working Thanksgiving day. I only pray no one gets killed or dies from 0800x1600. Why? Because Thanksgiving Dinner is the only holiday I find important. I've already volunteered to work Christmas eve and then come back Christmas day morning. Let's let families who have children (especially young children) enjoy their holidays and quality time together.

So I vote, shops should be closed Thanksgiving. Those workers have families too.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 14:28   #23
Model19
Typical GnG

As a meat cutter in a grocery store I was surprised to hear people complaining about working on Thanksgiving. I bet some of those same people would be pretty miffed if all grocery stores were closed that morning. My employer is actually closing an hour earlier this year on Thanksgiving.
Model19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 14:32   #24
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
Care to explain why? People should get their gas the day before or after. If they want to be open - fine - but they should not HAVE to be open.

A hospital I understand - nature of that business.
I agree. Growing up in the 1960s and 1970s, no stores were open during those holidays. Families were forced to plan ahead to make sure they had everything they needed for their celebrations. OMG, my mom had to actually make sure that by Wednesday, we had everything we needed! Or else we had to wait until Friday!

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 11-19-2012 at 14:36..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 14:34   #25
CBennett

All day no..but if they wanted volunteers to get OT or Holiday pay for say a 6PM open id say have at it.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote