Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:31   #1
rebs

removing lead from the barrel ?

You guys that shoot lead bullets through your Glock, what do you use and recommend to remove the lead ?
rebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 13:06   #2
M2 Carbine

First off you shouldn't have heavy leading in a barrel if you are using good lead bullets.

Some barrels lead up more than others. Some lead bullets lead the barrel worst than others.
Some barrels hardly lead at all.

I use a bore brush.
If the lead is too heavy to be removed with a bore brush then the bullets are probably too soft.

I shoot a LOT of lead bullets in my G42 and everything else. The barrel leading is very light and is removed with a couple passes with a bore brush.
I'm starting on the third jar of these lead bullets (on the left) in the G42. Accurate and little leading.

General Glocking

This is an example of VERY HEAVY leading from about 10 lead slugs through a 12 ga shotgun.
It takes a bore brush on a power drill to remove this lead.

General Glocking

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 07-14-2014 at 13:11..
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 13:51   #3
JohnnyE

Lewis lead remover, or copper (not copper-plated steel) Chore Boy scrubbing pads. They're kinda like Brillo pads, only copper.
JohnnyE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 13:56   #4
my_old_glock

I use a bronze brush to clean the bore then I use a lubed patch to wipe it out. If there is a lot of lead on the patch, I repeat the process: Brush then patch.

my_old_glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 14:06   #5
rebs

I don't have any heavy leading, just some right at the beginning of the rifling on my G21. It looks like lead or a dullish looking area right in front of the chamber and the rest of the barrel is bright and shiny with the rifling very visible. The barrel looks the same after 50 rounds as it does after 15 rounds.
The bullets I am using are made by Mastercast 200 gr lswc, is anyone else using these bullets from Mastercast ? I am loading them with 4.2 of Bullseye powder. I started with this load because it is the most accurate with my Colt gold cup.

Last edited by rebs; 07-14-2014 at 14:09..
rebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 14:10   #6
BigMau

Shooting lead bullets??? I believe that's the fastest way to turn your Glock into an Austrian Hand Grenade? Or does this just happen with 40 cal. Glocks??
BigMau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 14:32   #7
M2 Carbine

Quote:
It looks like lead or a dullish looking area right in front of the chamber and the rest of the barrel is bright and shiny with the rifling very visible. The barrel looks the same after 50 rounds as it does after 15 rounds.
Sounds like "normal leading".
I don't think you have a problem. Just keep an eye on it.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 16:24   #8
MajorD

Lead bullet loads within proper specs for bullet weight powder charge overall length etc will never hurt any glock regardless of caliber. What causes issues is over charges squibs bozos not removing lead build up before shooting jacketed. I shoot thousands of lead cast through glocks every year. I clean every 200 rounds when shooting lead. I lock the gun open run a brass bore brush through the bore about three times wipe with 1-2 patches ( no solvents required) the lead is gone.
This my glock will blow up if I shoot lead is a myth that needs to die and be buried
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 16:29   #9
MajorD

Pretty much any load that makes its way into a glock and blows it up would have blown any other gun too.
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 16:41   #10
jimmudcatgrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
Lewis lead remover, or copper (not copper-plated steel) Chore Boy scrubbing pads. They're kinda like Brillo pads, only copper.
the Chore Girl is made of brass and works also. Make sure and get this name brand and not one that is copper coated over steel, or you will mess up your bore.
jimmudcatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 16:45   #11
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Tagged, for more leading info. I have a bunch of soft lead that needs shot.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 16:55   #12
NDCent
Socially Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmudcatgrant View Post
the Chore Girl is made of brass and works also. Make sure and get this name brand and not one that is copper coated over steel, or you will mess up your bore.
Just watch carrying it in your vehicle, the dope heads use it with glass pipes to smoke crack and ice.
Old 07-14-2014, 17:02   #13
jimmudcatgrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDCent View Post
Just watch carrying it in your vehicle, the dope heads use it with glass pipes to smoke crack and ice.
Are you serious? In the trunk it goes. That or brown bag.
Old 07-14-2014, 17:47   #14
misfit356tsw

Quote:
Maybe I am uneducated but how would steel Chore Boy hurt the bore of your barrel? The steel in Chore Boy would most certainly be softer that the steel of the barrel. I am not trying to cause an argument but would like someone to educate me.
mrsmisfit on the Sewing Forum: You know what really irks me today my husband said again that he doesn't like vanilla ice cream. He keeps saying it and it hurts my feelings! I'm sick and tired of doing his dishes and he wont even rinse them out first!
misfit356tsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 17:53   #15
jimmudcatgrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit356tsw View Post
Maybe I am uneducated but how would steel Chore Boy hurt the bore of your barrel? The steel in Chore Boy would most certainly be softer that the steel of the barrel. I am not trying to cause an argument but would like someone to educate me.
I ain't saying the steel in chore boy would, I am saying there are some off brands that have in the past according to a gunsmith I trust. But if you're comfortable with it, have at it. Thankfully I haven't learnt from experience. I will stick with what I know works. You could very well be correct.
Old 07-14-2014, 17:56   #16
Jim

Although a steel Chore Boy would be softer than the steel in your barrel, it could still cause unusual wear. Think of it as a comparative thing, rather than either/or.

A brass brush will put very little wear on your bore but a lot of wear on the brush.
A mild steel brush/Chore Boy could put moderate wear on both the bore and the brush.
A hardened steel brush could put a lot of wear on your bore and comparatively little on the brush.

That's the theory, I'm hoping not to accidentally test it myself.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 17:58   #17
misfit356tsw

Quote:
I ain't saying the steel in chore boy would, I am saying there are some off brands that have in the past according to a gunsmith I trust. But if you're comfortable with it, have at it. Thankfully I haven't learnt from experience. I will stick with what I know works. You could very well be correct.
Don't get me wrong, I am just trying to learn something. A lot of people on this forum shoot Russian ammo (Wolf, Brown Bear, etc) that is made up of a bimetal jacket. A thin coating of copper over a steel jacket. To me, this would be much more likely to destroy a bore that some steel Chore Boy in a bore but people still shoot tons of that ammo. I am just interested in what people think. Here is an article on the issue.

http://www.uspsa.org/front-sight-mag...BiMetal-Ammo-8
mrsmisfit on the Sewing Forum: You know what really irks me today my husband said again that he doesn't like vanilla ice cream. He keeps saying it and it hurts my feelings! I'm sick and tired of doing his dishes and he wont even rinse them out first!
misfit356tsw is offline   Reply With Quote