Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-21-2012, 22:18   #1
Iceman cHucK

15 round G21 Magazine

Would like Glock to make an OEM +2 baseplate for the G21 mag to equal the 15 rounders of my FNP45s! I have used the Pearce +2 baseplates for my two G21s and have had no problems when used with recent production G21 mags and stock mag springs. I have heard reports that if dropped fully loaded that the baseplate may separate as they don't have a lock button as the stock Glock baseplates, so a caution here. I trust the Pearce +2 and would like to know what others that have tried them have experienced? Would you use them for carry?

I also have a couple of the Arrendondo mag extensions which add +4 in 45 for a total of 17. They are well made and reliable. Recently got a Kriss mag extension that I have not tried yet.

I want a reliable 15 round G21 mag! Until Glock makes one I'll have to make due with the Pearce +2. Your thoughts?
Iceman cHucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 22:42   #2
et45

13 rds is enough for me
et45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 22:49   #3
Glock40man

I'll just stick to the OEM 13 rounders. The G21 is big enough. But, if they are reliable, go for it.

Last edited by Glock40man; 10-21-2012 at 22:50..
Glock40man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 22:51   #4
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

If you can't get it done with the 14 rounds in the gun, I would be looking at a pistol class that concentrated on marksmanship rather than higher capacity magazines.

It's just a thought.
Old 10-21-2012, 22:56   #5
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
If you can't get it done with the 14 rounds in the gun, I would be looking at a pistol class that concentrated on marksmanship rather than higher capacity magazines.

It's just a thought.
This.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 23:19   #6
Iceman cHucK

Don't hijack the thread with training and marksmanship opinions, please! At 65, I've been training for over 50 years!
My military, L.E., Gunsite, NRA instructorexperience is not the issue. The question is about +2 mag extensions for the G21.
Thanks
Old 10-21-2012, 23:44   #7
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman cHucK View Post
Don't hijack the thread with training and marksmanship opinions, please! At 65, I've been training for over 50 years!
My military, L.E., Gunsite, NRA instructorexperience is not the issue. The question is about +2 mag extensions for the G21.
Thanks
You asked for their thoughts, and they gave them. Can't go around complaining when you asked for it.

As for the +2, go with whatever is available, if Glock doesn't make any. I personally don't see the point though, I agree that 13 rounds of .45 should be more than plenty. And if not, carry a second magazine.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:30   #8
diamondd2

The pearce +2 are the only option. I did give them a try but was only able to load 14rds into the mags and not 15rds.
diamondd2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:51   #9
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Iceman Chuck,

What are your applications of the 15 rd mag? Plinking? Competition? Home defense weapon? Truck gun? Carry gun?

Yes, if you drop the fully (or even 80% loaded) mag with baseplate at the right point on the base plate the mag separates.

The FNP45 is a nice gun too.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:48   #10
Solscud007

I have the KRISS extensions for my KRISS and of course use them in my G21. I recently bought three more as I had some issues with my old one. Not sure why but I dropped it fully loaded onto my hardwood floor and it popped out of the extension.

Also the spring gauge of the old KRISS extension allowed 30 rds. They switched to a stiffer gauge and now instead of a 30 stick, it is 25+. The design, as you know since you have one, is just like the Arrendondo. Not sure which one came first. But for the price, I prefer the KRISS extensions.

Due to living in NY, I have to use my Preban mags with the extensions. However when I shoot outside of NY, I switch to my Gen4 mags and install the extensions on them.

Here I ran the prebans at my club's last USPSA pistol match. Thankfully, since we are a local match. I can run the Glock 21 with the KRISS mags without issue. We just didnt post my scores to USPSA. I really wanted to focus on my Sight alignment and trigger pull so I figure I would eliminate reloading for now until I get better.

As SureFire says, "The fastest reload is the one that never happens"

Last edited by Solscud007; 10-22-2012 at 07:50..
Solscud007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:18   #11
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
You asked for their thoughts, and they gave them. Can't go around complaining when you asked for it.
True dat!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:59   #12
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Would like Glock to make an OEM +2 baseplate for the G21 mag to equal the 15 rounders of my FNP45s! I have used the Pearce +2 baseplates for my two G21s and have had no problems when used with recent production G21 mags and stock mag springs. I have heard reports that if dropped fully loaded that the baseplate may separate as they don't have a lock button as the stock Glock baseplates, so a caution here. I trust the Pearce +2 and would like to know what others that have tried them have experienced? Would you use them for carry?

I also have a couple of the Arrendondo mag extensions which add +4 in 45 for a total of 17. They are well made and reliable. Recently got a Kriss mag extension that I have not tried yet.

I want a reliable 15 round G21 mag! Until Glock makes one I'll have to make due with the Pearce +2. Your thoughts?
I would never use them for carry. Range only. My partner had those on his 21 and was getting into the car in a hurry and knocked the Pearce off. All 15 rounds dumped onto the ground, it was really funny, but would have sucked if it happend during a foot pursuit or fight. Only extensions I would think about using are made by Arredondo. They have locking tabs and are very secure. Our range tested them and they held up to a lot of abuse. I still wouldn't carry them as my primary mag in the gun, on my spare mags absolutely

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
Old 10-22-2012, 10:23   #13
Iceman cHucK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
I would never use them for carry. Range only. My partner had those on his 21 and was getting into the car in a hurry and knocked the Pearce off. All 15 rounds dumped onto the ground, it was really funny, but would have sucked if it happend during a foot pursuit or fight. Only extensions I would think about using are made by Arredondo. They have locking tabs and are very secure. Our range tested them and they held up to a lot of abuse. I still wouldn't carry them as my primary mag in the gun, on my spare mags absolutely

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
Thanks. This is what I was looking for, good advice!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05   #14
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Forget the +2, I wish they would make a nice 25-30 round mag for me to run with my G21SBR.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:34   #15
SCmasterblaster

I use the +2 mag for spare magazines for my G17. I keep them (2) loaded with 16 rounds each.
Old 10-22-2012, 13:21   #16
Solscud007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Forget the +2, I wish they would make a nice 25-30 round mag for me to run with my G21SBR.

why not run the Korean mag or the KRISS extended mag?
Solscud007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 14:21   #17
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:

Maybe I've been on Glock Talk for too long! Why are we always reinventing the wheel?

1. If you know what you're doing you don't carry Pearce magazine extensions. (You don't carry Scherer, either!)

2. Arredondo magazine extensions are the best and the safest to use. Do not carry an Arredondo extension in your EDC. Carry it on the other side of your gun belt as a backup magazine.

3. If you wind up needing more than 30 pistol rounds in order to defend yourself, well ....... , you're in the wrong fight, at the wrong time, with the wrong people, and are probably going to get killed. Think about dropping your gun, raising your hands, and surrendering; it might be your only way out.

PS: G-21's are already more than big enough. (I ought 'a know; I've carried one for more than 8 years.) The FNP 45's are absolutely enormous, difficult to carry, and difficult to conceal. If more firepower is really what you want, (or need?) have you thought about slinging a carbine with a collapsible stock underneath your arm?
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 15:22   #18
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solscud007 View Post
why not run the Korean mag or the KRISS extended mag?
My understanding is that none of them run 100% and hold up to abuse.
Old 10-23-2012, 17:19   #19
DFin

Last edited by DFin; 10-25-2012 at 16:43..
DFin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:17   #20
aforster

I have those +2 from Pearce and the truth is: not reliable for carry.

I use them on the G21SF I use for IPSC (production) so I would have 15 rds on my mags (as well as any other in that division with other guns/calibers), but:

1) you cannot get 15 in.. if you do, you will probably have feeding issues or the basepad will just explode with the pressure in the first shoot (when the slide goes back, it increases the pressure on the mag a little, which is enough to make it pop).

2) they pop out when you drop the magazine with more than 5 or 6 rounds in it, and you will see your ammo, spring, baseplate, follower scattering all over the place. The problem is not related to the baseplate, but more related to the fact the steel inside the magazine doesnt go until its end. That half inch at the botton of the magazine is polymer only, and it gets soft in any humid weather. If the steel were going until the botton of the magazine, they would be perfectly OK.

The only way I can use them in competition is to keep them ALL THE TIME in a pot with silica or any other stuff to keep humidity close to zero. I just remove them from that pop when Im going to a competition, and return them just after use. The reason for that is simple: the magazine and the baseplate are made of a polymer that retains water and whenever that happens, they become less rigid. A engineer from Pearce told me about that when I called them to complain about the issue.

I have some from arredondo, but they are rather big, but on the other hand, never had issues with them.

So, for carry? Keep with the stock ones...
aforster is offline   Reply With Quote