GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-02-2012, 20:57   #1
nursetim

Has anybody else been moved by this movie?

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

It's about an Auzzie that is exactly what the title says, except not really that nearly dead. He comes to America and does a 60 day "juice fast". He accomplishes what he set out to do.

But the thing that moved me to action was the trucker he meets, and the truckers' transformation. It is simply amazing and inspiring.

So I figured if the trucker could do it, so should I. But instead of juicing, I'm using a vitamixer and drinking/eating the pulp. No animal products, dairy, or grains. Just fruits, a little, and veggies.

I tried the 70g/day carb diet and gained 3#'s in the month. So I knocked it on its head and started the plant based way of eating.

I am a healthcare professional that is diabetic and hypertensive and obese. This is not setting a good example for my patients and I was a hypocrite. I hate hypocrites with a passion reserved by most people for child molesters. So I have a bit of a self loathing issue to deal with as well.

I also believe that the medications I was prescribing and was taking, was not helping my patients or me, just maintaining the status quo.

Now, I'm eating, almost solely green foods, and walking 2 miles a day, only for the past 2 days, so far. I broke down and had a bunch of sunflower kernels and a strange craving for worshchestershire sauce, so a chugged the sauce from the bottle. I have always loved the stuff, but never chugged it before. I'm back on the path again.

I really really want sausage and Bacon really badly, but I want off my medications more. For Christmas, I'm eating nothing but Bacon.

I started at 253# 10 days ago. Today 247, I'm disappointed buy the weight loss is a secondary goal for me anyway.

Has anyone else seen this movie? What di y'all think?
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 22:49   #2
California Jack

Dude, good luck. And, please keep us posted with regular updates.
Old 11-15-2012, 16:49   #3
holesinpaper

Seems interesting, I'd watch it.

But a 60 day juice fast seems stupid imho. Probably better to just eat healthy and balanced, coupled with a regular workout schedule.

Lean protein + veggies + healthy whole grains and fats (with proper portions) FTW imho.
holesinpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 17:47   #4
wheelsoffreedom76

Last edited by wheelsoffreedom76; 12-04-2012 at 16:06..
wheelsoffreedom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:47   #5
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

I have watched it, and enjoyed it -- it is a cool story.

I follow a plant-based diet and have a green juice most days. I have an Omega juicer at home, and since I've been on the road a lot the past 6 months to the same client site I bought a Nutri-Bullet that I leave in a backpack with the hotel desk clerk to hold for me until I return.

I've done a few short juice fasts -- 1-5 days. For me the real challenge was planning, and not letting myself get too hungry. If I got caught up with work first thing and skipped breakfast, then by noon or 1 I would be starving, and the rest of the day would be sucky. If you plan the day before when you will juice, and perhaps even what you will juice, it may be easier.

Congrats on your decision and your commitment though I would recommend a bit of moderation with your planned bacon binge. BTW Worcestershire sauce contains animal (anchovy).

regards,
-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 21:21   #6
nursetim

my sole derivation off the plantation is tofu, well, and peanuts and sunflower seeds, and the occational slug of anchovie sauce. I'm still swilling that effective, but joy draining muck.

I was in a den of temptation, Hy-Vee with a smorgasbord of fragrant delights. I could have had most anything without the wife, whose disappointment I fear most, finding out about it. I really wanted to cheat, with a veggie egg roll or some other morsel of trans fat delight. One of the benefits of all this, aside from the 20+ pound weight loss, is it has caused me to really think about what I eat.

I have not had wheat, dairy, or real meat products in 3 weeks or so. I really only miss the meat. The tofu is ok though.
Old 11-18-2012, 22:38   #7
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

That's great, and I certainly empathize with the temptation. I'm on the road 3-1/2 days a week to the Kansas City area with people that want to take in KC barbecue and other not particularly green options.

Keep up the good work!

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 19:09   #8
California Jack

Anchovy and BBQ are both mmmmmmm mmmmmmm good.
Old 11-19-2012, 21:10   #9
nursetim

I'm orienting to a new job. I found out that they provide providers free, but crap, snacks and free lunch and maybe breakfast. I'm still sucking down the green quicksand and tofu in vinegar based BBQ sauce. I need to get back to exercising regularly again.
Old 11-19-2012, 21:42   #10
Happypuppy

Exercise....it's the only way IMO. Cut the crap out of your diet and change your lifestyle. It does not have to be the gym, it can be any activity you like running, biking, MMA, whatever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 22:08   #11
wheelsoffreedom76

Here is a good site to read from beginning to end about weight loss and fitness.
http://www.hussmanfitness.org/

Last edited by wheelsoffreedom76; 12-04-2012 at 16:05..
wheelsoffreedom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 15:45   #12
nursetim

So I lanced my finger today. It bled like never before. It was like my blood was thinner or watery. Like I am taking placid and asprin. I think the veggie diet is doing me a lot of good. I still miss my Bacon though.

I have been putting coconut oil in my smoothie/juice, I'm stopping this next batch or two as I seem to have plateaued.
Old 11-28-2012, 16:03   #13
JimP

Good movie and advice. We've got the both the juicer and the Vitamix. use them both heavily. Keeps me and the family healthy and active.

As for the cocnut oil, read: The Coconut Oil Miracle". You'll be amazed. I put that stuff in everything.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:14   #14
M1a65

Good luck man! Make walking or some other form of lite to moderate exercise part of your new diet/lifestyle and you see amazing gains far quicker than just dieting alone!
M1a65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:50   #15
nursetim

I was until I got a wicked blister on my heel. I'm working on it, and will restart in the next couple of days. 3 miles a day.

Last edited by nursetim; 11-29-2012 at 03:50..