Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:06   #1
Redfire SVT

JPS in the Academy

My class is going to the PD next week for Judgmental Pistol Shooting and the firing range. Anyone remember what all was involved in the JPS training? We're using their simulator screen thing. All I can imagine is traffic stops and people getting out hiding their hands etc. Just curious as to what else there is we will learn and train on.
Thanks
Redfire SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 13:08   #2
BigSpenda864

It might help to post at least what state you're in so someone can help you a bit more. Here all LEO's go to the same academy no matter what department they work for in the state. It sounds like you'll be qualifying and going through practical shooting exercises. I have used simulators before and they are generally based off possible shoot/don't shoot situations. Sounds like fun actually.
BigSpenda864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 15:12   #3
collim1
Shower Time!

We didn't do any. We stood at the 25yd line and shot at paper. Sounds like good training. Gonna be stressful, but pay attention. If you feel rushed to make a decision in training, imagine how much more difficult it will be on the street.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 15:43   #4
blueiron

It is a practical application on your judgment, your applied timing in using force, your accuracy under stress, and your ability to verbally justify your actions. Assuming your training is akin to what I underwent and what I later taught.

There are likely to be traffic stop scenarios, walking beat scenarios, domestic violence scenarios, and citizen encounter scenarios. Some require deadly force, some require a lesser use of force, some require no hands on use of force. All require verbal judo and strong verbal commands.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 15:54   #5
lopak

We had the old Motorola Shoot-Don't shoot film.

Some of the situations brought to mind the no-win scenario from Star Trek.

Car load of kids in a convertible pulled over. Some sitting in the back seat. Boys and girls laughing, smiling --- and ... bang - kid in the back produces a handgun and shoots. I had the same film during Project Transition (anyone remember that?) and still didn't clear leather fast enough when we had it in the Academy.

Loads of fun and makes you think.

Last edited by lopak; 11-02-2012 at 15:56..
lopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:52   #6
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Closest I had was at Glynco with using computer simulations shooting an escaped prisoner from the tower. Other than that we are warned to always watch our backstop.

Sent from my communicator.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 18:06   #7
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

We use PRISM. Computer branches a scenario based on your responses. Your shots are recorded wrt location, time, split time and when you had justification to shoot.

Not all scenarios are shoots. Newer versions let you use tasers as well.

In my world, people who shoot without justification would be writing paper.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:45   #8
ditchdoc24

Just did a search and he's in Georgia. The JPS is not a big deal. Basically a video scenario that will evolve into a shoot/no shoot situation. You'll have a pistol that fires a laser, something simulating cover and a big screen in front of you. The scenarios can branch into shoot or no shoot depending on what the instructor chooses. Just try to relax and learn from it. Which academy are you at?
ditchdoc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:30   #9
Redfire SVT

We start tomorrow with it so thanks for the heads up everyone. I'm in down at the Columbus academy, pre-service. Hoping to get on in my home county of Coweta in the next few months
Redfire SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:41   #10
edge4628

To echo what others have said, traffic stops, citizen encounters etc. If it was like mine, you might feel kind of awkward at first yelling verbal commands at a screen, but just do and say what you would in real life. Use loud verbal commands (if needed), get behind cover etc. The simulation I did had an instructor controlled paintball gun that shot rubber balls if we stepped out from cover, so watch out for that. I think the simulation is controlled live by the instructor so depending on what you say and do they can make the encounter go in a few different directions, it won't always end with you shooting, or not shooting.

Good luck and have fun. When we were done our instructors put on a lot of crazy scenarios, using multiple people and crazy gunfights it was a good time.
edge4628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:57   #11
GRIMLET
Deceased

We did the FATS machine a few years back. If the operator doesn't feel you are taking charge with verbal commands your scenario will go to the dark side. It is a great learning tool. Whats worse is the hit/miss ratio and shot placement.
That machine can be very humbling.
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote