Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-03-2012, 00:02   #1
akmtnrunner

To Specialize or Diversify frame sizes

New member here and relatively new proud owner of my first Glock, a G29.
What are opinions on specializing or diversifying frame sizes? For example, if a G29/30 size is usually carried and the same cartridge is wanted to be used for home defense, would it be better to use the full size G20/21 for home defense or stay with the familiar sized frame? Is the higher capacity and longer sight radius worth the slightly different feel? BTW, I love the grip on my G29 the grip extensions so the added grip size of the full size isn't really valuable to me.

Thanks
akmtnrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:28   #2
DannyR

Get a Mossberg Tactical Shotgun for home defense. Meanwhile, your G29 and one extra loaded magazine will serve you well.

Remember, if your home is invaded by an army, they will be shooting back and you will never have the opportunity to empty your first magazine.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:32   #3
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

That G29 will be fine for ccw & hd
Shotgun is a must have IMO.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:59   #4
Kentguy

akmtnrunner,

First of all Welcome to Glock Talk, and congratulations on the purchase of one of the finest pistols you'll ever own.

You're question is a valid one but it is limited by only our pocket book and your ability. What I mean is, if at this time, all you can afford is the G29 than spend as much time practicing with it as possible. It is MOST important to be as proficient as you can with the weapon that will be used in saving your's and your loved ones lives.

If you can swing it, than I would agree with your thoughts about getting the G20 for Home Defense. The 10mm round is more that enough to tackle any intruder or would-be assailant.

I carry a G26 and keep the G19 equipted with Tridium night sights and a Streamlight TLR-I rail mounted tactical LED, 2+ round mag extension which gives my 17+1 in the chamber, in the night stand.

Sorry fellows but I disagree about the Shotgun in the bedroom for home defense - just not practical for the average guy out there.

Good luck
Old 11-03-2012, 07:13   #5
David_Ely
GAP'r

You can use G20 magazines in your G29 so magazine capacity isn't an issue. Just practice with what you have and be proficient with it. That's the most important thing for home defense.
Bull Dawgs #1966
David_Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:14   #6
DannyR

And I disagree about the night sights, laser and tactical light for bedroom/home defense.
Bull Dawg #1

DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:21   #7
SJ 40

While I love my Glocks their is nothing as handy in and around the home and property as a 12 gauge shotgun. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:19   #8
Bruce M

I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 20:51   #9
Glockworks
Ready/Aim/Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner View Post
New member here and relatively new proud owner of my first Glock, a G29.
What are opinions on specializing or diversifying frame sizes? For example, if a G29/30 size is usually carried and the same cartridge is wanted to be used for home defense, would it be better to use the full size G20/21 for home defense or stay with the familiar sized frame? Is the higher capacity and longer sight radius worth the slightly different feel? BTW, I love the grip on my G29 the grip extensions so the added grip size of the full size isn't really valuable to me.

Thanks
Have a second handgun. If God forbid you must use one in an incident, the Police will take it for evidence. If the low life you injured/killed is a member of say a gang, you will need the second one to finish off the rest of the gang, or just to protect you from them if you want to be passive.
Glockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 21:05   #10
cowboy1964

What 10mm ammo are you planning on using for defense?

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-03-2012 at 21:08..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 21:41   #11
akmtnrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
What 10mm ammo are you planning on using for defense?
I believe 155gr Gold Dots at ~1350 fps will work well.
Old 11-04-2012, 21:43   #12
akmtnrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockworks View Post
Have a second handgun. If God forbid you must use one in an incident, the Police will take it for evidence. If the low life you injured/killed is a member of say a gang, you will need the second one to finish off the rest of the gang, or just to protect you from them if you want to be passive.
I have a few others, the G29 is just my first Glock.

My second choice will be a 4" SP101 357
Old 11-04-2012, 21:51   #13
akmtnrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
Get a Mossberg Tactical Shotgun for home defense. Meanwhile, your G29 and one extra loaded magazine will serve you well.

Remember, if your home is invaded by an army, they will be shooting back and you will never have the opportunity to empty your first magazine.

While I appreciate your and others interest in helping to equip me better in your opinion, I've made the decision that a handgun will work well enough for me.

Care to comment on what I was wondering about?

Is it better to become very very well practiced with a G29/30 size or have half the practice for the G29/30 size and the other half for the G20/21 size just to have slightly better velocity and sight radius for home defense?
Old 11-04-2012, 21:52   #14
akmtnrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
akmtnrunner,

First of all Welcome to Glock Talk, and congratulations on the purchase of one of the finest pistols you'll ever own.

You're question is a valid one but it is limited by only our pocket book and your ability. What I mean is, if at this time, all you can afford is the G29 than spend as much time practicing with it as possible. It is MOST important to be as proficient as you can with the weapon that will be used in saving your's and your loved ones lives.

If you can swing it, than I would agree with your thoughts about getting the G20 for Home Defense. The 10mm round is more that enough to tackle any intruder or would-be assailant.

I carry a G26 and keep the G19 equipted with Tridium night sights and a Streamlight TLR-I rail mounted tactical LED, 2+ round mag extension which gives my 17+1 in the chamber, in the night stand.

Sorry fellows but I disagree about the Shotgun in the bedroom for home defense - just not practical for the average guy out there.

Good luck

Thank you Kentguy!