Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-01-2012, 22:04   #1
flw

Time for my eyes to get some help- sights

Have a G23 Gen 4 and am having issues seeing the front post sight. This gun is not for conceal carry.

I don't have $300 plus for C-More STS sights. So I'm thinking of the TruGlo Tritium/Fiber Optic sights.

For $100 not installed it seems like a very good all around sight. I do not have the tools required for the job so I need them installed.

Q1. Am I missing anything on this pro or con of the TruGlo Trit/FOS sights?

Q2. From a gun smith, what is the range of money I should expect to pay for proper install and alignment?

Q3. Any thoughts on rear sights being green or amber vs all been green?

Thank you all for your idea's.

Last edited by flw; 11-01-2012 at 22:10..
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 22:35   #2
Glock40man

TruGlo TFOs seem like a good choice. Also, you might want to look at AmeriGlo I-Dot Pros.

https://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/complete-sets/i-dot

The AmeriGlo CAP sights.
https://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sig...plete-sets/cap

As well as, XS Big Dots.
http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nI...ts&sID=handgun

I think the the XS sights come with everything you need to install them yourself.

Some shops charge $50 for sight installation others will not charge.

Last edited by Glock40man; 11-01-2012 at 22:36..
Glock40man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 22:41   #3
smitret

TFO's

I have them on a G19 & G22.

G22 is go to house gun.

TFO's are big help for my 71yo eyes.

Some complaints about rods coming loose during strenuous activity.

I put one drop of clear epoxy on each rod for insurance
with zero problems.

I'd recommend them to a friend.

Have them installed where you buy them might get a break on installation.

Good Luck
smitret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 23:05   #4
wagonm

I have them on G19, 1k rounds, no issue. Love them.

$80 to your door, but ring them up first to make sure they have in stock, otherwise no go: http://www.******tactical.com/trtfogunsi.html

Happy shopping.
wagonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:22   #5
Bruce M

I have TFOs on several of my guns and they help my aging eyes also. On the Glocks I bought them from an armorer who sets up at the gun shows and the installation is free with the purchase of the sights.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:36   #6
barth
six barrels

XS 24/7 Big Dot Gun Night Sights

Sights, Optics and Lasers
Sights, Optics and Lasers
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:46   #7
lethal tupperwa

sounds like you need glasses more than new sights

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:10   #8
MNBud

Another yes vote for the Tru-Glo TFO sights. Have them on three of my four Glocks.We get $25.00 for installing sights at the shop I work at.

Sub club #622
Certified Glock armorer
MNBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:50   #9
GNiner

I had TFOs on one of my Glocks but the tritium went out in the front sight within 6 months. The fiber optic still works fine though, just can't use them for night sights. This is a common problem documented all over the web.
GNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:39   #10
1canvas

thats what I wanted but after my research on the TFOs I went with the XS Big Dot 24/7 for reliability. I like the fiber optic idea but the Big Dots works great and very durable, I'm very happy with them.
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:52   #11
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

The Tru-Glo TFO's are widely considered to be too fragile for either regular EDC or combat pistol use. The acrylic vials are, also, highly susceptible to cleaning solvent damage, and too often come loose from their mounts. Once you buy TFO sights, the manufacturer ain't never going to want to hear from you again. (The guarantee and customer service on TFO's is some of the worst in the gun industry.)

I use XS, 'Big Dot' sights. That bright, 'golf ball' on the front died very quickly on me; it didn't stay bright more than 2 or 3 years! On the other hand when it comes to a large front sight with an incredibly bright glowing green orb on it, nothing is larger and easier to see than the huge front sight that Meprolight uses. In dim light conditions - and ONLY in dim light conditions - that enormously bright front sight works very very well.

In real nighttime light conditions, however, you'd be better off with either very little, or no front sight illumination at all. My recommendation? All things considered either Meprolight or one of the new, 'Hackathorn' front sights.

(We're probably about the same age. I recently broke down and purchased new eyeglasses. I decided to go with what's called, 'trifocals'. Know what? My new safety glasses work very well for both reading at the bottom, watching the front sight in the middle, and viewing things in the distance at the top.)

Last edited by Arc Angel; 11-02-2012 at 19:02..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:09   #12
ChicagoZman

Ameriglo I-dot Pro. Have this on my competition and carry guns (34/27). About $110 installed.

http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/defaul...212-220-OR.jpg
Glocks: 17, 17L, 22, 22C, 23, 24C, 27, 34
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:11   #13
1canvas

one thing I always do with night sights is buy them from the manufacturer to assure the newest sights. it usually cost a little more than Ebay or something but I have never had an issue that Arc Angel talks about. not that it can't happen from the manufacture, but it has never happened to me. my BD were bought in 08 and are sill very bright.
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:32   #14
Yertology

I bought some trijicon bright and tough's for my G22 with no experience in replacing sights.

But with the help of the video link above I knew exactly what to do and couldn't be happier with my job well done.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Yertology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:43   #15
sig357fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
Have a G23 Gen 4 and am having issues seeing the front post sight. This gun is not for conceal carry......
I have XS Big Dot on my G31 and like them very much, they are very quick getting on target.....

BUT

.....They take some getting used to and aren’t as precise as a standard blade front and notch rear.

Age has brought me the experience of “fuzzy front sight”, a trip to an ophthalmologist that understood shooting got me a pair of bi-focal that allow me to see the front sight clearly, see the target and be able to see up close as in loading a mag.

Just sayin’

Sig357fan
sig357fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:51   #16
LuckyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post
Yep. Several years ago my vision (near sighted + bifocals) got to the point I could no longer get any kind of sight picture - just two fuzzy blobs on top of the gun. Started using my computer glasses at the range - clear front sight picture again. Type of sight was irrelevant.

Then about three years ago my myopia got better (happens with age) and I was able to use my regular glasses again. Software solution not a hardware solution. I'm a defensive shooter. Got my first Glock last year and put on Warren Tacticals. Nothing fancy -black on black - super sight picture. I've gotten less enthused with night sights over the years - you still have to SEE the target. IMO a civilian SD shoot in low light is likely to be at "gun driving" distance anyway.
LuckyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:57   #17
RonS

Love my Trijicon HD night sights, $129 installed at a gun show. Wouldn't want them for bullseye shooting but warm and fuzzy making laying on the dresser in the dark.
Old 11-02-2012, 18:24   #18
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig357fan View Post
I have XS Big Dot on my G31 and like them very much, they are very quick getting on target.....

BUT

.....They take some getting used to and aren’t as precise as a standard blade front and notch rear.

Age has brought me the experience of “fuzzy front sight”, a trip to an ophthalmologist that understood shooting got me a pair of bi-focal that allow me to see the front sight clearly, see the target and be able to see up close as in loading a mag.

Just sayin’

Sig357fan
My experience as well. I put them on my old EDC, a G 36. Accuracy is tough as lining up that tiny line in the back is hard.

I finally went with the TFO's on all 7 of my Glocks. Not one issue as of yet. I hear that how that the sight body is metal, they are much more durable.

Shop around, I bought most of mine for less than $80 a set.

Last edited by fasteddie565; 11-02-2012 at 18:26..
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 23:40   #19
wallacefan

i was looking at advantage tactical sights for my glocks
wallacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 00:07   #20
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
Have a G23 Gen 4 and am having issues seeing the front post sight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post
That was my first thought too.

How bout it flw? Is it a vision problem? If your eyes are OK, you should be able to see any sights....*if* you look at them. If you're looking at the target, you can't focus on the sight(s) anyway.

If your eyes are 'experienced' enough that you need bi-focals to read (like all too many of us), you may need a different lense to be able to see (focus on) the front sight too.....I know I do.

Or, do you just not like the factory sights?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote