Old 11-03-2012, 21:34   #1
MBZ

G17 Gen 3

Just got a new G17 gen 3.
Have not taken it to range yet.
Noticed when I rack slide to dry
fire sometimes I hear a squeaky type
noise form recoil spring.

Is this soemthing that disaappears over time with use?
MBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 00:46   #2
bad89stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBZ View Post
Just got a new G17 gen 3.
Have not taken it to range yet.
Noticed when I rack slide to dry
fire sometimes I hear a squeaky type
noise form recoil spring.

No, but it is quite normal. I have found that a quick spray with some lube on the recoil spring only will help. Make sure to wipe it down afterward to get any excess off. You don't need much. Good news is the noise can't be heard when you are firing live.

Last edited by bad89stang; 11-04-2012 at 00:47..
bad89stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:40   #3
larson1122

Quote:
Yes. All of mine were squeaky when new, but the noise goes away after a couple hundred rounds.
larson1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:18   #4
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Just got a new G17 gen 3. Have not taken it to range yet. Noticed when I rack slide to dry fire sometimes I hear a squeaky type noise form recoil spring. Is this something that disappears over time with use
First, you shouldn't be dry firing your new Glock without using snap caps. Second, a Wolff steel guide rod and non-captured recoil spring will get rid of the squeak, and last the life of the gun.

Until you get several hundred rounds through them, new Glocks can be, 'cranky'.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 11-04-2012 at 05:19..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:36   #5
glockman10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
First, you shouldn't be dry firing your new Glock without using snap caps. Second, a Wolff steel guide rod and non-captured recoil spring will get rid of the squeak, and last the life of the gun.

Until you get several hundred rounds through them, new Glocks can be, 'cranky'.
Wish I'd known that 25 years ago. I have been dry firing my 89 G19 all of these years.

As to the spring squeak, it will go away.
glockman10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:51   #6
AK47Man
Expert Marksman

With the mag removed; Pull the slide back and lock it...Put about two drops of CLP on the exposed guide rod..Then rack the slide quite a few times while holding the gun pointing straight up...This will fix that squeak...My Gen 3 G17 did this too...
Ruger LCP Ruger Mark III 22/45
Ruger 10/22 Stainless Henry 22Mag Frontier Octagon
AK47Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:36   #7
HexHead

Quote:
First, you shouldn't be dry firing your new Glock without using snap caps.
What kind of nonsense is this?
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 15:42   #8
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Hey, before you guys get yourselves all bent out of shape, first thing tomorrow morning give Smyrna a call; and ask them to bring you up to speed on the latest technical info about dry firing a Glock pistol.

(I don't make this stuff up; I simply repeat it. You, all, need to read more!)

NOTE: As for dry firing your Glock since 1989? You should have been reading my early posts from 10 years ago. (The ones that said: Stop! Think! You've got to be nutz to dry fire ANY FIREARM without using snap caps.

(But, what the hey, this is only the Internet.)

Last edited by Arc Angel; 11-04-2012 at 15:50..
Old 11-04-2012, 15:47   #9
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

ARC is right. According to Glock it is "forbidden" since couple years ago.

I do it anyway...
Old 11-04-2012, 15:56   #10
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

I carry a Glock for just one reason. It's the same reason, 'Why' I practice with it several times a week, too. My Glock is a self-defense tool; it's carried as life insurance against the day when I might really need it. I treat my Glock in exactly the same way, too.

(Now, if it were strictly a range gun? I suppose I wouldn't care, either; BUT it's not. After my faith in God, my Glock is my second line of defense.)

Last edited by Arc Angel; 11-04-2012 at 15:59..
Old 11-04-2012, 17:03   #11
dhgeyer

From my brand spiffy new owner's manual (G17 Gen4 test date 10/3/12). Page 25.

And I quote:

UNLOADING

1. Remove magazine by depressing MAGAZINE CATCH (19) (see photo 1).

2. Pull slide (1) back to eject the round which is in the chamber (2).

3. Check to ensure that there is no round in the chamber.

4. Allow the slide to spring forward by releasing it. Pull the trigger into the full pulled position with the pistol pointed in a safe direction.

End quote.

That sure sounds like dry firing to me.

On page 26, and I quote:

DISMANTLING AND REASSEMBLING

(Skip to item 3)

3. GLOCK pistols are stripped into their main component parts in the following order:

-- remove the magazine
-- check for round in the chamber
-- pull the trigger back (pointing in a safe direction)
-- remove slide from receiver
-- remove barrel from slide
-- etc. etc. etc.

end quote.

Gee, dry firing again.

More of the same on page 43 giving Gen4 specific instructions.

More of the same on page 48, item 11 TRIGGER RESET TEST. Again, they tell the user specifically to dry fire the pistol.

On page 31 on the top right (item 3.) they list three specific action which are not allowed. Dry firing is not one of them.

Can't find anyplace in the manual that prohibits or discourages dry firing. If they think dry firing is bad, they're doing a terrible job of letting the users know.

Of course they do say that using handloads may void the warranty, so none of us do that, do we?
dhgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 17:48   #12
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

No, you've got it bassackwards!

Disassembly is NOT the same thing as dry firing. If you don't agree then perhaps you should contact Glock, Smyrna and offer to set them straight, as well. (Know what? They'll tell you exactly the same thing as I posted above.) You're wrong and, before you mislead some of the even more simple minds on this board, you need to get your head on straight.

DISASSEMBLY IS NOT DRY FIRING.
Old 11-04-2012, 18:09   #13
dhgeyer

Quote:
No, you've got it bassackwards!

Disassembly is NOT the same thing as dry firing. If you don't agree then perhaps you should contact Glock, Smyrna and offer to set them straight, as well. (Know what? They'll tell you exactly the same thing as I posted above.) You're wrong and, before you mislead some of the even more simple minds on this board, you need to get your head on straight.

DISASSEMBLY IS NOT DRY FIRING.
Disassembly is not synonymous with dry firing, but does inevitably INVOLVE dry firing with Glocks.

To be fair, I just did some Internet research. Here is what I found.

1. Several people have contacted Glock CS with this question, and have not gotten consistent answers. So, like a lot issues, what a Glock CS rep will tell you depends to a degree on which one you talk to and possibly when.

2. There has been at least one case involving a competitive shooter where the striker broke right through the breechface. Glock decided it was due to excessive dry firing, but fixed it at no charge anyway. The one case of this that I found involved tens if not hundreds of thousands of dry fires. Routine intense practice regimen for a competitive shooter.

3. Since CS is not consistent on this issue, I will revert to the owner's manual. I submit and insist that if Glock seriously thought dry firing was bad, they would say so in the owner's manual, especially in the section where they specifically list actions that could be harmful to the pistol. I also submit that, since they do not list dry firing as harmful, and do specifically instruct the owner to do so in routine stripping and trigger reset testing, they could not possibly deny warranty service for any possible damage resulting from dry firing.

So, I think the message is that damage from dry firing a Glock is very rare and only results from very high numbers of dry fires. People who dry fire on a reasonable basis shouldn't be told that it's wrong.

When all else fails, RTFM.

EDIT#2: I have been poking around some more on this question, as it is important. I found an old thread on this forum where three people called Glock CS within 2 days: two of them were told it was fine to dry fire, one was told to use snap caps.

I also found links to 4 images of Glock slides in which the striker appeared to have punched a plug like section out of the breechface. However, and this is a big however, the plug like section that was pushed forward was the precise size and shape of the cartridge case head, not the striker. What appears to really have happened was live fire cracked the slide, but the broken part had nowhere to go rearward. Then a dryfire punched it forward. Glock repaired all these guns at no charge. So, it wasn't dryfiring that broke the slide. Dryfiring merely revealed the damage, which I would actually call a good thing.

EDIT: And, by the way, calling me and/or other people who participate in this forum "simple minded" isn't going to change anyone's mind. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

Last edited by dhgeyer; 11-04-2012 at 19:33..
Old 11-05-2012, 12:05   #14
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer View Post
Disassembly is not synonymous with dry firing, but does inevitably INVOLVE dry firing with Glocks.

To be fair, I just did some Internet research. Here is what I found.

1. Several people have contacted Glock CS with this question, and have not gotten consistent answers. So, like a lot issues, what a Glock CS rep will tell you depends to a degree on which one you talk to and possibly when.

2. There has been at least one case involving a competitive shooter where the striker broke right through the breech face. Glock decided it was due to excessive dry firing, but fixed it at no charge anyway. The one case of this that I found involved tens if not hundreds of thousands of dry fires. Routine intense practice regimen for a competitive shooter.

3. Since CS is not consistent on this issue, I will revert to the owner's manual. I submit and insist that if Glock seriously thought dry firing was bad, they would say so in the owner's manual, especially in the section where they specifically list actions that could be harmful to the pistol. I also submit that, since they do not list dry firing as harmful, and do specifically instruct the owner to do so in routine stripping and trigger reset testing, they could not possibly deny warranty service for any possible damage resulting from dry firing.

So, I think the message is that damage from dry firing a Glock is very rare and only results from very high numbers of dry fires. People who dry fire on a reasonable basis shouldn't be told that it's wrong.

When all else fails, RTFM.

EDIT#2: I have been poking around some more on this question, as it is important. I found an old thread on this forum where three people called Glock CS within 2 days: two of them were told it was fine to dry fire, one was told to use snap caps.

I also found links to 4 images of Glock slides in which the striker appeared to have punched a plug like section out of the breech face. However, and this is a big however, the plug like section that was pushed forward was the precise size and shape of the cartridge case head, not the striker. What appears to really have happened was live fire cracked the slide, but the broken part had nowhere to go rearward. Then a dry fire punched it forward. Glock repaired all these guns at no charge. So, it wasn't dry firing that broke the slide. Dry firing merely revealed the damage, which I would actually call a good thing.

EDIT: And, by the way, calling me and/or other people who participate in this forum "simple minded" isn't going to change anyone's mind. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable.
That’s a civil reply; and I respect you, all the more, for offering it. Regardless, I’d be less than honest not to tell you that I completely disagree. There’s too much rationale; and you do too much, ‘submitting’. Whether or not the kids who man the factory phones either concur or are unanimous on the matter of dry firing a Glock has little bearing on the issue. Glock Inc. has said AND the statement has been repeatedly published here that it is recommended NOT to dry fire Glock pistols.

(Which, quite frankly, makes a lot of sense to me because I’ve spent more than 50 years being told by, both, my superiors and peers NOT to dry fire my weapons. Glock pistols seem to exist behind this curious internet mystique that, ‘Glocks are made of some sort of magic Austrian wunder metal’. They’re not! Steel is steel; plated and MIM parts are every bit as fragile and susceptible to shock in Glock pistols as they are in any other firearm.)

I’m a little surprised that a man who’s gifted with your obvious understanding of firearms is so willing to swallow, ‘hook, line, and sinker’ what some kid on the other end of the telephone has to say. I’ve been dealing with Glock Tech Support in Smyrna for the past ten years; AND I’ve done this while I’ve had to work my way through several considerably dangerous problems with all three of my Glock pistols.

Would you like to know a little secret? Glock Tech Support in Smyrna LIES LIKE A RUG! I consider myself to be very lucky that both of my original highly defective Model 21’s didn’t blow up in my face and blind me in the same way that happened to a Secret Service Agent on the docks in NYC. If Glock, Inc. had had their way, I’d still be running two dangerous and defective G-21’s; but, thankfully, the Portland Police Bureau and the Georgia State Patrol finally forced Glock to fix their defective G-21’s; AND I, and other defective G-21 Glock owners like me, benefited as a result.

Now, look what you’re doing! You’ve replied to earlier statements I’ve made with an argument that amounts to, ‘Some say you do; and some say you don’t; and Tech Support in Smyrna has given me two different answers!’ What, may I ask, do you expect me to think?

Listen, before I scrap all of the previously published warnings against dry firing a Glock on the basis that some unnamed kid in Smyrna Tech Support (That doesn’t have a very good reputation for veracity to begin with!) says it’s OK, I’m going to need a lot more evidence than what this kid, or kids, has to say; and - no offense, please, but - one disbelieving Glock Talker with an unusual argument to prove isn’t going to do it for me, either.

As for what the Glock Owner's Manual says? Since purchasing my first Glock pistol I don't know, and am no longer able to count, the numerous revisions Glock Owner's Manuals have gone through. I am, also, reminded that comments to the effect that English isn't the OM authors' native language have been posted numerous times on this board; e.g., 'striker' vs. 'firing pin'; and, 'slide stop' vs. 'slide release'.

If you want to take a moment to reference my, ‘simple minds’ comment, …… well, I’ve been on internet gun boards for the past 10 years. Believe me, it’s impossible to hang around here without running into numerous, ‘simple minds’. In fact I’ve watch gun forum, ‘simple minds’ chase away some of the most knowledgeable and talented people in the firearms and firearm training industries.

In another six months, or so, America’s next generation of high school graduates is going to be turned loose on the streets. Many of these kids are going to be wisenheimers with time on their hands and access to on-line computers. I’ll bet you dollars to donuts that the usual influx of: trolls, drunks, recreational druggers (or worse) and opinionated, ‘mentally light’ brand new Glock Talkers are sure to appear!

You, me, or anyone else who’s been on these gun boards for years simply has to: (1) learn to live with them, (2) learn to live with each other, or (3) get off the boards. Too many really good pistoleros and gunmen I know (or have known) have chosen to leave the boards. I, myself, have also dropped off internet gun forums like Glock Talk for more than a year at a time. Why do I return? Because, ultimately I don’t like to see the other guy - the one with the simple mind - prevail; and, quite frankly, there really is a certain intellectual value in the frequent exchange of ideas and information. (That's, 'How' we, all, grow!) THIS is what I was pointing out to you.

I like your style; I respect the fact that you’re courteous. You may expect me to treat you the same way in the future. Thank you for admitting that disassembly (and function testing) is NOT the same thing as dry-firing.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 11-05-2012 at 20:57..
Old 11-05-2012, 12:58   #15
dhgeyer

Arc Angel: This discussion we are having here is kind of a thread hijack. I started a thread this morning on the specific subject of dry firing Glocks. There have been some interesting inputs there that might interest you. Your thoughts are welcome.
Old 11-05-2012, 13:53   #16
dango

The only time I ever dry fire is when Cleaning it,OMHO..!
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 20:49   #17
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer View Post
Arc Angel: This discussion we are having here is kind of a thread hijack. I started a thread this morning on the specific subject of dry firing Glocks. There have been some interesting inputs there that might interest you. Your thoughts are welcome.
I understand; and I will take a look. My own experience with, 'thread hijacking' is that lots of times when a thread is near finished and about to die, a good thread hijack will often bring it back to life.