Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:47   #1
dabskie

Dry Fire

Did a search but came up empty,,,Have always heard that to dry fire a gun will damage the firing pin,,,But also read countless articles about dry firing to practice sight picture and trigger control,,,,,So question is,,,Can I Dry Fire my Glock 23 Gen 4 without doing any damage?,,,,Thanks in advance.
dabskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23   #2
MAC702

I've heard of a gunsmith that disagrees, but I know a lot of people that compete with Glocks or carry Glocks, and we are the people that dry-fire pistols as much as we shoot them with live ammo.

Modern centerfire pistols are practically a non-issue for most of us. Even some modern rimfires, like the Kimber 1911, specifically say it's okay.

"It doesn't matter how many people I've killed. What matters is how I get along with the people who are still alive." - Jimmy the Tulip
MAC702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:57   #3
jhmayhem

You have to dry-fire a glock in order to take it apart, so that alone is a good indicator dry-firing is fine if they made it a part of the operation. It's been ages since I read one but I think it says in the glock manual that dry-firing is okay too. On the safe side you can always buy snap caps like me, which are also great for practicing reloads, tap and rack drills, etc.
jhmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:15   #4
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Whether a dry fire is damaging to a gun all depends on how that gun is designed. Glocks seem to tolerate dry firing pretty well compared to some others, which makes sense since the design of a Glock requires that you have to dry fire it to remove the slide. There are some guns that I wouldn't dry fire even once, but I couldn't count all the times I've dry fired my Glock, and after detail stripping the slide many times I see no evidence of any damage at all.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 20:16   #5
1smoothredneck

My rule is I don't dry fire rimfires. Most all centerfire guns, I dry fire 'em.
1smoothredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 13:44   #6
makar

I have read many shooter training books and spoke with many tactical training instructors. From what everyone has told me it will not cause any damage and everyone but one instructor uses a glock in all their classes. Almost every book ive read on accuracy/sight training as well has grip, and trigger control training yourself you use dry firing as a technique.
makar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 16:21   #7
JimCasey

Even some rimfires may be dry-fired. I have shot and dry-fired a Colt Cadet, and the striker is a big, solid chunk of Stainless steel, with a hefty stop collar on it. The firing pin itself is integral with the striker and is cone-shaped from about 1/4" diameter at the base. The tip is machined for line contact with the cartridge rim. You could hammer it into a wall and it would not hurt it. It's beefy and reliable as it can be. Don't know why Colt stopped making them.
JimCasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:24   #8
WT

No big deal. Buy some spare parts from Glockmeister and change them out after 1,000 snaps.

So easy even a caveman can do it.
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36   #9
Jake Starr

Or get some snap caps or a SureStrike Laser bullet.

The Christian faith is in no way pacifistic.
Jake Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 21:51   #10
FloorPoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1smoothredneck View Post
My rule is I don't dry fire rimfires. Most all centerfire guns, I dry fire 'em.
I agree, but ad to list of no dry fires a Kel-Tec P32 and variants. I had to get a new fp spring and fp because of that, fortunately KT supplied replacements at no cost, even though I explained to them that it was my fault. The recommended snap caps for DF practice.

I also wouldn't dry fire older S&W revolvers much.
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote