Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-13-2012, 20:56   #51
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock361963 View Post
If visiting or picking up someone on a military base.In a state that accepts your ccw.What do you do?Surrender carry gun to security at main gate?Store gun unloaded and locked in a case?
Rules vary by installation. At NWS Charleston I regularly brought my 1911. I declared it at the main gate, cleared it, and then placed it with the slide locked back into a weapons locker. I filled out a registration form, tore the receipt off the form, and then locked the form in the locker with the pistol.

When leaving the base, I presented my receipt to security, and they allowed me to retrieve my pistol, which I promptly loaded and holstered.
Old 11-14-2012, 14:49   #52
igor

i was recently asked to speak at a base near me. as a retired county police sgt as well as a retired field grade officer. i asked for means to secure my wqeapon. the generals aide thought i was crazy, but i insisted on it and he did nt know what to do. he agreed that the area s just off base was not secure. he couldnt undersatand that there would be risk hell i locked up a lot of folks in that non secure just off base. well he said he would get back to me stil;l waiting. but thats ok. if they cant trust a retiredx police and a retired field grade , well dont need them. as an aside the baltimnore va has lock boxes for us, abnd we keep the key.
Old 11-16-2012, 20:41   #53
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
Rules vary by installation. At NWS Charleston I regularly brought my 1911. I declared it at the main gate, cleared it, and then placed it with the slide locked back into a weapons locker. I filled out a registration form, tore the receipt off the form, and then locked the form in the locker with the pistol.

When leaving the base, I presented my receipt to security, and they allowed me to retrieve my pistol, which I promptly loaded and holstered.
A gun-friendly military base - how nice!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:24   #54
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
A gun-friendly military base - how nice!
Other than one pissy NCO who didn't appreciate being asked the procedure for receiving registered firearms by a new guy working the gate, it was really a very pleasant experience working onboard the NWS. That was the first day, but after that it was very easy.

I guess it doesn't happen too often, as they treated me as a bit of a novelty. I was always "that guy with the 1911". They had a lot of positive comments regarding my choice of handgun.