SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-05-2012, 16:10   #41
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
They? The VA Hospital does not set that policy. Federal law prohibits weapons in Federal facilities.
Oh, I didn't realize.
Old 11-06-2012, 16:31   #42
Glock Holliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
It's NOT in the least inflammatory. I had friends that were MURDERED because they could not carry to defend themselves...
Political Correctness murdered those soldiers. The Army had a lot of warning the terrorist major was gonna go off but if they woulda tried to counsel him, they would been branded racist. Instead of trying to hold him accountable at Walter Reed they promoted him so he could 'go off' on someone else's watch.

I admittedly wasn't there but the Army is a reflection of the country it serves and that's just the way I figure it went down. (Ironically, my oldest was deployed with The First Team to Iraq when this terrorist attack occurred... where she was required to carry a M16A2 24/7 for protection.)

Last edited by Glock Holliday; 11-06-2012 at 16:32..
Glock Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:18   #43
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Holliday View Post
Political Correctness murdered those soldiers. The Army had a lot of warning the terrorist major was gonna go off but if they woulda tried to counsel him, they would been branded racist. Instead of trying to hold him accountable at Walter Reed they promoted him so he could 'go off' on someone else's watch.

I admittedly wasn't there but the Army is a reflection of the country it serves and that's just the way I figure it went down. (Ironically, my oldest was deployed with The First Team to Iraq when this terrorist attack occurred... where she was required to carry a M16A2 24/7 for protection.)
An other reason to dislike political correctness!
Old 11-08-2012, 13:44   #44
beatcop

Has nothing to do with being politically correct. Military bases have had prohibitions on arms prior to active shooters even hitting the news.

It's called risk management. The risk of being victimized on a military based is remote & the likelihood of teenagers, new shooters, etc. having an AD is higher.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 21:30   #45
Glock Holliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcop View Post
Has nothing to do with being politically correct. Military bases have had prohibitions on arms prior to active shooters even hitting the news.

It's called risk management. The risk of being victimized on a military based is remote & the likelihood of teenagers, new shooters, etc. having an AD is higher.
I'm aware of that... I pulled a hitch as Army Military Police back in the early '70's before entering civilian LE (where I'm still serving).

I believe the problem is much more deep rooted. In most (if not all) cases active shooters have emotional issues that are recognizable to the people around them. To begin with, these people shouldn't even have access to firearms. Intervention must occur before they strike.

Another AWB will do nothing to improve the situation but Never waste a Good Crisis, remember?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:52   #46
Darkangel1846

When I was at Ft. Carson, back in the late 70's and early 80's half of the staff packed heat in their car as it was legal then in Colorado. About once a month they would pull a stop and search at all the gates right at quitting time. I'd hit the O club and always see the same guys there having beer waiting for the gate searches to end. I even tually found a back road that went to the golf course and a gate that wasn't covered. Too many people found out about it and the post General stiop that exit. So the O club always did a booming business on gate search day. Oh and NO you didn't really want the MPs to search your car with a concealed handgun in it. Illegal on a Federal reservtion.

Last edited by Darkangel1846; 11-09-2012 at 09:53..
Darkangel1846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:44   #47
RoughTexturedTrav
Spenser4Hire

I live in the barracks on a Marine Corps base and find that although they search your vehicle from time to time they will never search your person as long as you're not inebriated or being detained. Because of this i generally keep a glock secured in my glovebox, another secured in my room and also carry concealed depending on the uniform of the day. Although this is definitely in violation of a base order I'd much rather take a page 11 then a few bullets in the chest.

Chesty Puller USMC
RoughTexturedTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 16:23   #48
beatcop

We have done a lot of projects at my Guard unit....I'll leave it at that, but for the first time we are getting an active shooter reaction plan together....sad state of affairs.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 19:17   #49
Glock Holliday

Well you're not alone... my agency hasn't trained us in how to respond to an active shooter incident either.
Old 11-13-2012, 21:06   #50
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Holliday View Post
Well you're not alone... my agency hasn't trained us in how to respond to an active shooter incident either.
Why should they? For nearly all military bases, mass shootings are very rare.
Old 11-13-2012, 21:56   #51
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock361963 View Post
If visiting or picking up someone on a military base.In a state that accepts your ccw.What do you do?Surrender carry gun to security at main gate?Store gun unloaded and locked in a case?
Rules vary by installation. At NWS Charleston I regularly brought my 1911. I declared it at the main gate, cleared it, and then placed it with the slide locked back into a weapons locker. I filled out a registration form, tore the receipt off the form, and then locked the form in the locker with the pistol.

When leaving the base, I presented my receipt to security, and they allowed me to retrieve my pistol, which I promptly loaded and holstered.
Old 11-14-2012, 15:49   #52
igor

i was recently asked to speak at a base near me. as a retired county police sgt as well as a retired field grade officer. i asked for means to secure my wqeapon. the generals aide thought i was crazy, but i insisted on it and he did nt know what to do. he agreed that the area s just off base was not secure. he couldnt undersatand that there would be risk hell i locked up a lot of folks in that non secure just off base. well he said he would get back to me stil;l waiting. but thats ok. if they cant trust a retiredx police and a retired field grade , well dont need them. as an aside the baltimnore va has lock boxes for us, abnd we keep the key.
Old 11-16-2012, 21:41   #53
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
Rules vary by installation. At NWS Charleston I regularly brought my 1911. I declared it at the main gate, cleared it, and then placed it with the slide locked back into a weapons locker. I filled out a registration form, tore the receipt off the form, and then locked the form in the locker with the pistol.

When leaving the base, I presented my receipt to security, and they allowed me to retrieve my pistol, which I promptly loaded and holstered.
A gun-friendly military base - how nice!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:24   #54
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
A gun-friendly military base - how nice!
Other than one pissy NCO who didn't appreciate being asked the procedure for receiving registered firearms by a new guy working the gate, it was really a very pleasant experience working onboard the NWS. That was the first day, but after that it was very easy.

I guess it doesn't happen too often, as they treated me as a bit of a novelty. I was always "that guy with the 1911". They had a lot of positive comments regarding my choice of handgun.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:17   #55
archipimp

my friend did 88 days in the brig for trying to sneak one in- plus fines and a whole lot of other bad stuff. He had done it before and left it in his car. This was at Little Creek a long time ago.
archipimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:34   #56
Booker

Call ahead, because the policies are weird!

ie. Fort Carson has No Weapons signage, but they have a gun shop on Post, a public shooting range, and I can hunt turkey on Post!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 19:15   #57
Turn4811

Ft Stewart GA had a deer hunting area near the tank range back in the day. The requirements to bring a shotgun on the post were specific and this was when Stewart was an open base. It was a big hassle but I got a deer about 70% of the time I went on one of their hunts. This was back in the early 90's.
Old 09-06-2014, 22:51   #58
chiefjack

Had my LEOSA CCW and went to a northern CA base to pick up some stuff from the DRMO Program and was asked at the main gate if I had any weapons. I was told to turn around and leave the gate area, drive back down the road about a half mile, unload my gun, and then return to the gate with the gun and magazines separated. I was given a form to fill out then placed the form and my gun in a locked locker in the main gate office. I was told I could pick up my stuff after I was done.

No hassle, no attitude, went just fine.