SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:48   #21
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleblaster View Post
Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio has no firearms signs. If you live in town I guess it is not too bad, but if you come from out of town, as many do, you either drive down unarmed, or break the law to visit your relative's grave.
Like I said elsewhere, I wonder how many armed and homicidal maniacs would obey such a sign?
Old 11-03-2012, 00:33   #22
ScottieG59

I think the point is that your state permit for concealed carry is not valid on federal property. It is not just military installations. This is an area you do not want to misinterpret.

I work for the Army and I find the rules very confusing. All my weapons are registered on post and the acceptable transportation methods are not easy to understand when one just looks at the local regulations.

I keep it simple by not carrying or transporting firearms on post. When I travel, I will carry a concealed handgun, but if my destination includes a military installation, I leave the gun home.

Depending on the installation you visit, the response to discovering a weapon will vary a great deal. The response will even vary depending on the sensitivity of the facility you are near.

As to allowing soldiers to carry around post, it is a matter best left up to the commands. The soldiers are often young and wild. I would not want all the junior soldiers to be armed, but there may be a place for some. Again, the command will make the decision.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:42   #23
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyOfficer View Post
This is a little inflammatory: any CONUS base I've ever been on during my tour didn't allow unrestricted carry: only security personnel and those who've taken the measures to be authorized in advance bring their personal firearms on base directly to an armory for storage, and vice versa.
Hey PettyOfficer! You must be ex-USN like me. I was an STG2.
Old 11-03-2012, 13:01   #24
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyOfficer View Post
This is a little inflammatory: any CONUS base I've ever been on during my tour didn't allow unrestricted carry: only security personnel and those who've taken the measures to be authorized in advance bring their personal firearms on base directly to an armory for storage, and vice versa.
I don't think he was trying to be inflammatory. My sense is he was just pointing out that if even the regular troops can't be armed then Joe Civilian Blow better not even show up at the gate with something.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 13:18   #25
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
Lots of dead soldiers on Ft Hood because THEY are not even allowed to carry.
True. That was a terrible shooting spree.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27   #26
beatcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock361963 View Post
If visiting or picking up someone on a military base.In a state that accepts your ccw.What do you do?Surrender carry gun to security at main gate?Store gun unloaded and locked in a case?
Don't go on the base without prior authorization.

You may be just flat out refused, in which case you can wait at the gate for your friend. You may be advised to call the Provost Marshall's office or SP/MP's and they will accomodate you. If you are in the mil you may have better luck than being a civilian.

The base is (usually) a Federal installation and falls under the Title 18 code...your local permit means nothing.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:17   #27
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Here it varies. Some bases ban it on a blanket basis, but the ones I work in are cool with me concealing as a civilian in them. YMMV.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:40   #28
SCC
Member Me

Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior View Post
Here it varies. Some bases ban it on a blanket basis, but the ones I work in are cool with me concealing as a civilian in them. YMMV.
maybe in Israel but not in the US
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:55   #29
SCC
Member Me

I was sent to a job and did not know it was on a military installation in south Georgia .. drove to the gate and asked what i should do .. they told me to take it to the Sheriff’s Office and turn it in to them and when i was done to go back and get my gun ..
I went back to get my gun they did not want to give my ammo back .. but he did ... I had a lot of hollow points 1- 33 rd mag & 2- 15 rd mags
Old 11-04-2012, 09:58   #30
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCC View Post
maybe in Israel but not in the US
SCC - I do admire a certain ordinance of your hometown!
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:04   #31
SCC
Member Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior View Post
SCC - I do admire a certain ordinance of your hometown!
me too !!!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:11   #32
Gunnut 45/454

SCmasterblaster
Last I checked the Federal law has not changed. To transport onto a base the firearm must be unloaded- not on your person and in a case/trunk . I do ocassionaly still go on base to shoot trap/skeet. Never had to declear nor stop at the front gate to register my weapons. CCW's do not apply on Federal property. They are state issued permits. Federal Buildings(VA Hospitals ) have always been off limits! Now here recently with and influcks of very anti- gun Commanders there has been a push of more restrictive regs.
The thing is they can't subvert nor add to the Fed Laws more restrictive actions. IE Forced Registration. Yes they have forced Registrtion of all firearms- don't hear the NRA complaining about that do ya! They even tried to have military folks that lived off base to register there weapons on base!!!

Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 11-14-2012 at 09:42..
Gunnut 45/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:33   #33
beatcop

Guys, not sure where the confusion is, but there is no transporting firearms onto a base!

We debate the post office exceptions all the time and reach the same conclusion= NOGO

The only exception is a post that has a highway running through it w/o a check point...like parts of FT Dix. You drive through without stopping.

I have three bases within reach.....all posted.

DO NOT BRING WEAPONS ON FEDERAL PROPERTY WITHOUT PRIOR CLEARANCE.

Last edited by beatcop; 11-04-2012 at 10:36..
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:42   #34
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcop View Post
Guys, not sure where the confusion is, but there is no transporting firearms onto a base!

We debate the post office exceptions all the time and reach the same conclusion= NOGO

The only exception is a post that has a highway running through it w/o a check point...like parts of FT Dix. You drive through without stopping.

I have three bases within reach.....all posted.

DO NOT BRING WEAPONS ON FEDERAL PROPERTY WITHOUT PRIOR CLEARANCE.
I said this four pages ago! No, I said it for a Veterans Hospital.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 11-04-2012 at 12:43..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 14:10   #35
carloglock19

Signs are usually posted at the security gate. As others have said you have to have prior approval (forms filled and routed) ahead of time to bring a POF on base. Here were I'm stationed a visit will probably not qualify you to bring a firearm onboard. I would call ahead and see what the process is at the base you are planning to visit.
BRC - 2016
carloglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 14:23   #36
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloglock19 View Post
Signs are usually posted at the security gate. As others have said you have to have prior approval (forms filled and routed) ahead of time to bring a POF on base. Here were I'm stationed a visit will probably not qualify you to bring a firearm onboard. I would call ahead and see what the process is at the base you are planning to visit.
I'd definitely call ahead of time. Cell phones are handy for last minute situations.
Old 11-04-2012, 14:45   #37
Caver 60

I personally know of two Army Post that allow firearms hunting during hunting seasons. One also allows use of personal firearms (including handguns) at ranges by following certain rules. But proper procedures have to be followed.

As said so many times, check with the appropriate authorities for the installation you are going to visit. But CCW/open carry of handguns is prohibited at every place I know about, unless you meet certain valid exceptions, like LEO on official business etc., and even that is not universal.

Last edited by Caver 60; 11-04-2012 at 20:52..
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 14:57   #38
MK34_Techrep

Norfolk Naval Base clearly states on the overhead display signs that "NO PERSONAL WEAPONS ALLOWED ON BASE" and if you are caught with one it will confiscated and you will be arrrested and most likely fired if employed on base....
MK34_Techrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 21:11   #39
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
SCmasterblaster
Last I checked the Federal law has not changed. To transport onto a base the firearm must be unloaded- not on your person and in a case/trunk . I do ocassionaly still go on base to shoot trap/skeet. Never had to declear nor stop at the front gate to register my weapons. CCW's do not apply on Federal property. They are state issued permits. Federal Buildings(VA Hospitals ) have always been off limits! Now here recently with and influcks of very anti- gun Commanders there has been a push of more restrictive regs.
The thing is they can't subvert nor add to the Fed Laws more restrictive actions. IE Forced Registration. Yes they have forced Registrtion of all firearms- don't hear the NRA complaining about that do ya! They even tried to have military folks that lived off base to register there weapons on base!!!
I wonder why my VA Hospital is so restrictive? They just DO NOT allow any weapons at all, except for knifes with blades under 2.5 inches.
Old 11-05-2012, 13:15   #40
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I wonder why my VA Hospital is so restrictive? They just DO NOT allow any weapons at all, except for knifes with blades under 2.5 inches.
They? The VA Hospital does not set that policy. Federal law prohibits weapons in Federal facilities.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote