Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-04-2014, 20:58   #1
Hotdram

Lefty gun or learn to shoot right handed?

Will soon be getting my CHL. As this will be the first time I've carried, I have decided to get something with a safety on it (my decision and not up for discussion/debate with me, don't like it, I don't care) for my first carry piece. I am left handed. Seems as if choices are limited for fully ambi guns or you have to special order or modify guns to make them have completely left handed controls.
As I was searching, a thought popped into my head (I know, dangerous but I keep that occurrence to a minimum): How hard is it to learn to shoot with the opposite hand? Especially since most guns are set up for right handed controls.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
"It ain't that harder to do what's right, it's just maybe not as much fun" - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Last edited by Hotdram; 08-04-2014 at 21:02..
Hotdram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 21:04   #2
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I suspect (since I don't have any real information) that you can do it if you set your mind to practicing a bit. I shot my CCW left handed just to see how easy/bad it is and it's not difficult (.357 Magnum Revolver). What slows me down would be the left handed draw. It's just more practice.

One of my daughters is left handed, and she didn't want to change for the gun, so I bought her a Charter arms snubbie, "Lefty", .38 Special (J Frame size), and she loves it. Everything including the cylinder is the other way for a left handed person. Nice gun.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 21:12   #3
Hotdram

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
I suspect (since I don't have any real information) that you can do it if you set your mind to practicing a bit. I shot my CCW left handed just to see how easy/bad it is and it's not difficult (.357 Magnum Revolver). What slows me down would be the left handed draw. It's just more practice.

Thank you for the response janice6.
That's kind of what I figured, I could eventually learn to do it, but it would take so much practice for everything to feel natural and be smooth while drawing right handed I probably would be better off finding a gun I like with lefty or fully ambi controls.

Rob

"It ain't that harder to do what's right, it's just maybe not as much fun" - Ray Wylie Hubbard
Old 08-04-2014, 21:13   #4
itstime

There are plenty of guns out there that are ambi.

I would look into all of them and narrow your choices down to one.

I'm lefty and if my gun has a safety it is there for me.

As said before. I "can" shoot righty but drawing an being competant with the weapon is another story.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 21:23   #5
Hotdram

Thanks itstime. I will keep looking for lefty make/models. I think I gave up too quickly in my search.

Rob

Old 08-04-2014, 21:33   #6
itstime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotdram View Post
Thanks itstime. I will keep looking for lefty make/models. I think I gave up too quickly in my search.

Rob

Sig P938
Smith M&P
Ruger SR
HK USP or P30
1911. Opens up a lot

That's just on the top of my head.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 21:37   #7
Buzzo

Im left handed and I have 4th gen glocks that I still keep the mag release on the left of the gun. Main reason is I have gen 3's too, and dont want to confuse myself under stress.

I use my index finger to operate the mag release and the slide release. I can do it very comfortably and fast. Trick is to install an extended slide release.

Im left eye dominate so I shoot left handed.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 22:05   #8
Hotdram

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime View Post
Sig P938

Smith M&P

Ruger SR

HK USP or P30

1911. Opens up a lot

That's just on the top of my head.

Cool, thanks again.
I've rented a P938 before. I liked it. It had an ambi safety, I think the slide release was set for a righty. Guessing that can easily be changed. Might need to look at that one again.

Old 08-04-2014, 22:10   #9
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Will soon be getting my CHL. As this will be the first time I've carried, I have decided to get something with a safety on it (my decision and not up for discussion/debate with me, don't like it, I don't care) for my first carry piece. I am left handed. Seems as if choices are limited for fully ambi guns or you have to special order or modify guns to make them have completely left handed controls.
As I was searching, a thought popped into my head (I know, dangerous but I keep that occurrence to a minimum): How hard is it to learn to shoot with the opposite hand? Especially since most guns are set up for right handed controls.

Rob

Rob,

I'm right handed and I can shoot with either hand.

How? I practiced on the range! Every time I went out I did everything with first my right and then my left.

And yep, I have quite a few left handed holsters.

Deaf
Old 08-04-2014, 22:46   #10
arkdweller22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
Rob,

I'm right handed and I can shoot with either hand.

How? I practiced on the range! Every time I went out I did everything with first my right and then my left.

And yep, I have quite a few left handed holsters.

Deaf

Similar situation here; I'm a lefty that shoots equally well with my right hand. I also have some right handed holsters.
You are the Bizarro me, or am I the Bizarro you?

OP: if I were you I'd get myself a gun I can shoot with either hand and practice with both hands. It has worked well for me.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

-Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás (George Santayana)
arkdweller22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:48   #11
John Biltz

I would say if you have never shot before that eye dominance is more important than whether you are right handed or left handed. I'm left handed, I shoot right handed. Its just the way I've always done it. When you first shoot it feels clumsy and hard. This is true with either hand. Practice is what changes this.

Quote:

Rob

Old 08-05-2014, 05:09   #12
Bren
NRA Life Member

Anybody who can shoot can shoot with either hand - it's a basic skill. I have seen right handed shooters shoot full IDPA matches left-handed with no trouble. However, most people are slower and less accurate with the weak hand.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:19   #13
ithaca_deerslayer

The Glock safety is ambidextrous I usually think of my kydex holster as an additional safety for a Glock. Those holsters can be found in either right or left handed.

Most people can probably learn with their off-hand, but it will take time, and maybe never be as fast. But it can be done.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:30   #14
Deaf Smith

Quote:
I usually think of my kydex holster as an additional safety for a Glock
That is exactly my thinking. Gun holstered.. gun safe, gun unholstered, gun UNSAFE (well at least for the bad guy.) Same for the trigger. As long as you KYFFOTFT you are relativity safe.

Clint Smith says, "on target, on trigger, off target, off trigger."

You can easy use your left index finger to hit the eject button to drop the mag and use the FBI method for releasing the slide. I do it all the time. And for revolvers use the left index to open the cylinder and right hand holds the weapon while reloading.

Deaf
Old 08-05-2014, 12:39   #15
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

No "Getting used to".

Carry Issues

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 13:59   #16
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
No "Getting used to".

Carry Issues
Did you take that picture in a mirror?
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 14:19   #17
Clusterfrack

I would definitely not recommend compromising your ability to shoot as well as you are able. There are plenty of options for a left handed shooter. If you insist on a thumb safety and ambi controls, I would pick an HK P30.
Old 08-05-2014, 19:06   #18
Turn4811

I have had my right shoulder and elbow rebuilt by the orthopedic surgeon a few years back. I have switched from right hand to left with the pistol because of recoil pain in the elbow and shoulder - shooting the rifle left handed doesn't offer any relief so I primarily shoot 22LR at the range.

It took a lot of practice just to feel comfortable shooting a pistol with my non-dominant arm. My suggestion is to learn how with your dominant arm as it will be a lot easier. It is not just your hand that is dominant but your eye as well as I had to wear an eye patch at the range for about two years before I was comfortable shooting the pistol.
Old 08-05-2014, 19:10   #19
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I hope you find what suits you best. Do not compromise with a carry piece. It is good to practice and become proficient with the other hand, but not good enough to bet your life on until you are ready, IMO. Especially being new to carry.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Angry Fist; 08-05-2014 at 19:11..
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 19:37   #20
Hotdram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
I hope you find what suits you best. Do not compromise with a carry piece. It is good to practice and become proficient with the other hand, but not good enough to bet your life on until you are ready, IMO. Especially being new to carry.

Thanks Angry Fist. After reviewing all the replies, that is the exact conclusion I came to. I will stick to left handed for carry, but I will at least learn to shoot right handed. That was the easy part, the carry piece decision will be much harder. The Sig P938, HK P30 and a bunch of others are available for rental at my gun club. Looks like I know what I'm doing this Saturday: start testing guns.

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire