Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2013, 00:22   #621
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Well, it looks like I start flight training on Saturday! 3 hours of ground school, and then scheduling my 30-minute discovery flight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
You are going to learn the landing part, right?
Hint: Look for horizontal structures to land on, not vertical...

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52   #622
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
You are going to learn the landing part, right?
Maybe eventually........lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Hint: Look for horizontal structures to land on, not vertical...

Randy
Darn! I was going to try to land on the side of a bridge; just pull up and run along the edge of it until you stall, right?

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:02   #623
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
Quote:
Well, it looks like I start flight training on Saturday! 3 hours of ground school, and then scheduling my 30-minute discovery flight.
you are getting a pilot license?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:56   #624
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerChris View Post
you are getting a pilot license?

Looking into it, at least. It'll be expensive, though. Minimum of over $6,000.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
Old 01-02-2013, 22:19   #625
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
I remember when a private pilot flew his single prop right under the top of the Gateway Arch.

Sent from my communicator.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 23:39   #626
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy

Quote:
awesome I always wanted to have one. I played a lot of different flight simulators as a teen, like Janes f15, Falcon 4 or Microsoft flight Sims.
Sometime in the academy I went on a flight with a small 4 seater plane with three colleagues, one having a pilots license. During the flight he gave me control and I was flying for little bit less than an hour. Did turns, went up and down and thought "that's so easy, like in ms flight sim". lol. The pilot then asked me if I had been flying an airplane before since I did it that good lol.

The only really hard parts seemed to be the landing offcourse and the radio stuff because I couldn't even understand one single word (the pilot neither but he told me that he knows what air control and the tower would say)
Great experience, sadly its about twice the price here to get a motor plane license. Small country... less airspace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-02-2013, 23:40   #627
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I remember when a private pilot flew his single prop right under the top of the Gateway Arch.

Sent from my communicator.
and across the Atlantic for the first time

Old 01-03-2013, 05:54   #628
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
awesome I always wanted to have one. I played a lot of different flight simulators as a teen, like Janes f15, Falcon 4 or Microsoft flight Sims.
Sometime in the academy I went on a flight with a small 4 seater plane with three colleagues, one having a pilots license. During the flight he gave me control and I was flying for little bit less than an hour. Did turns, went up and down and thought "that's so easy, like in ms flight sim". lol. The pilot then asked me if I had been flying an airplane before since I did it that good lol.

The only really hard parts seemed to be the landing offcourse and the radio stuff because I couldn't even understand one single word (the pilot neither but he told me that he knows what air control and the tower would say)
Great experience, sadly its about twice the price here to get a motor plane license. Small country... less airspace.

Gotcha. That's for the bare minimum of hours required by the FAA, though--40 hours. Realistically, it usually takes 70-90 hours for most people to get their license, which can up the cost considerably. I'm debating on taking a pilot training loan (yes, there is such a thing) for the whole thing if I can get it, or paying for as much as I can as I go. It would probably cost less in the end to pay it all at once and fly as much as possible to get it done (you remember more that way, or so I keep hearing), but I really don't want a loan like that over my head. Decisions, decisions......

Quote:
and across the Atlantic for the first time

Hell, I seem to remember hearing of one in the 70's or 80's being flown into the Soviet Union under the radar, on Border Guards Day (when all the Border Guards there are uproarously drunk and thus nobody was watching the borders, really), and landing I think in St. Petersburg on a main road. A German teenager who wanted to defect, I believe.

Quote:

Last edited by CJStudent; 01-03-2013 at 05:56..
Old 01-03-2013, 10:29   #629
Horror
Polizei

Send a message via ICQ to Horror
Quote:

Hell, I seem to remember hearing of one in the 70's or 80's being flown into the Soviet Union under the radar, on Border Guards Day (when all the Border Guards there are uproarously drunk and thus nobody was watching the borders, really), and landing I think in St. Petersburg on a main road. A German teenager who wanted to defect, I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathias_Rust
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45   #630
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Pffft... amateurs, I logged at least a few thousand hours in my AH-64 Apache (simulation) during college. Didn't help my grades, but I did kill a lot of Russian tanks and even a few Hinds.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 14:45   #631
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Pffft... amateurs, I logged at least a few thousand hours in my AH-64 Apache (simulation) during college. Didn't help my grades, but I did kill a lot of Russian tanks and even a few Hinds.
Jungle Strike or Desert Strike? Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo?

Quote:
Old 01-03-2013, 14:52   #632
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror View Post
Thanks, man! I barely remembered a few details and didn't have time to look it up earlier.

Quote:
Old 01-03-2013, 19:26   #633
indigent
Bamboozled

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstudent View Post
jungle strike or desert strike? Sega genesis or super nintendo?
386 pc......
Old 01-03-2013, 20:33   #634
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

I used to play the crap out of a Chuck Yeager flight simulator. Now that was a fun game. I think I used to play Desert Strike on the PC as well. One of those copter games got me kicked out of the cockpit of a Cobra once as a kid at a airshow.
Old 01-04-2013, 00:32   #635
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigent View Post
386 pc......
Got you beat on that.

It was on a Commodore 64 and I forgot the name of the game... but it had to be booted up from a few floppy disks, not the little compact ones, the true floppy 5.5" flimsy plastic disks that required a paper sleeve to protect the exposed magnetic media inside.

But man, did I log tons of hours on that sim blasting through all the scenarios, including NATO and Middle Eastern conflicts.

Oh, did I mention it was like 73F today and I drove my convertible with the top down and actually got a farmer's tan on my arms? Saw a few cute girls walking around the main cruise venues too... almost makes you forget about the communists running this state.

Last edited by lawman800; 01-04-2013 at 00:33..
Old 01-04-2013, 11:13   #636
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy

Quote:
holy cow I loved jungle strike, but only the first mission in washington. So funny when the small people climbed up the ladder. Back then I was a kid and my english wasnt very good, but I did understand most of it.
I always wondered when the message "the president's limo is beeing attacked" was displayed, why they would use this kind of a slang term for the attack....-> because I thought that means the president's limonade is beeing attacked

The stealth fighter mission sucked, I never made that one.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:15   #637
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy

Quote:
Got you beat on that.

It was on a Commodore 64 and I forgot the name of the game... but it had to be booted up from a few floppy disks, not the little compact ones, the true floppy 5.5" flimsy plastic disks that required a paper sleeve to protect the exposed magnetic media inside.

But man, did I log tons of hours on that sim blasting through all the scenarios, including NATO and Middle Eastern conflicts.

Oh, did I mention it was like 73F today and I drove my convertible with the top down and actually got a farmer's tan on my arms? Saw a few cute girls walking around the main cruise venues too... almost makes you forget about the communists running this state.
I am still thinking about the green card thing...

Old 01-04-2013, 12:18   #638
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
holy cow I loved jungle strike, but only the first mission in washington. So funny when the small people climbed up the ladder. Back then I was a kid and my english wasnt very good, but I did understand most of it.
I always wondered when the message "the president's limo is beeing attacked" was displayed, why they would use this kind of a slang term for the attack....-> because I thought that means the president's limonade is beeing attacked

The stealth fighter mission sucked, I never made that one.
Same here on all counts, other than the lemonade, lol. I played it on sega genesis, and loved the DC missions. I don't think I ever got past the stealth fighter mission either, though.

Quote:
Old 01-04-2013, 12:39   #639
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy

I also played it on Sega. I cant even remember if it was in English or German, but I do know the term limo was used and its called limonade in German.

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

watch this!

I nearly get goosebumps lol

Old 01-04-2013, 21:27   #640
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

That's a Comanche... not an Apache. The flight hours (simulated) that I logged were on a way more intense and accurate program where I had to actually worry about the collective as well as the various avionic systems while flying around and shooting at targets. You guys are way out of your league against this veteran combat helo (simulated) jockey!