Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 00:22   #621
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Well, it looks like I start flight training on Saturday! 3 hours of ground school, and then scheduling my 30-minute discovery flight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
You are going to learn the landing part, right?
Hint: Look for horizontal structures to land on, not vertical...

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52   #622
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 18,000
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
You are going to learn the landing part, right?
Maybe eventually........lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Hint: Look for horizontal structures to land on, not vertical...

Randy
Darn! I was going to try to land on the side of a bridge; just pull up and run along the edge of it until you stall, right?
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:02   #623
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy
 
OfficerChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schnitzelhausen
Posts: 7,868
Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Well, it looks like I start flight training on Saturday! 3 hours of ground school, and then scheduling my 30-minute discovery flight.
you are getting a pilot license?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Pinki: "I don't think you want to get wild OC style"
Personal hero: Lawman800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:56   #624
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 18,000
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerChris View Post
you are getting a pilot license?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Looking into it, at least. It'll be expensive, though. Minimum of over $6,000.
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 22:19   #625
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO
 
Hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas, near the bison.
Posts: 22,974
Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Looking into it, at least. It'll be expensive, though. Minimum of over $6,000.
I remember when a private pilot flew his single prop right under the top of the Gateway Arch.

Sent from my communicator.
__________________
Arming with truth defeats ignorance. Jesus said, "I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by me." John 14:6
"Opinions expressed in this article are those of the author
and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the Federal
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 23:39   #626
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy
 
OfficerChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schnitzelhausen
Posts: 7,868
Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Looking into it, at least. It'll be expensive, though. Minimum of over $6,000.
awesome I always wanted to have one. I played a lot of different flight simulators as a teen, like Janes f15, Falcon 4 or Microsoft flight Sims.
Sometime in the academy I went on a flight with a small 4 seater plane with three colleagues, one having a pilots license. During the flight he gave me control and I was flying for little bit less than an hour. Did turns, went up and down and thought "that's so easy, like in ms flight sim". lol. The pilot then asked me if I had been flying an airplane before since I did it that good lol.

The only really hard parts seemed to be the landing offcourse and the radio stuff because I couldn't even understand one single word (the pilot neither but he told me that he knows what air control and the tower would say)
Great experience, sadly its about twice the price here to get a motor plane license. Small country... less airspace.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Pinki: "I don't think you want to get wild OC style"
Personal hero: Lawman800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 23:40   #627
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy
 
OfficerChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schnitzelhausen
Posts: 7,868
Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I remember when a private pilot flew his single prop right under the top of the Gateway Arch.

Sent from my communicator.
and across the Atlantic for the first time

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Pinki: "I don't think you want to get wild OC style"
Personal hero: Lawman800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:54   #628
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 18,000
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerChris View Post
awesome I always wanted to have one. I played a lot of different flight simulators as a teen, like Janes f15, Falcon 4 or Microsoft flight Sims.
Sometime in the academy I went on a flight with a small 4 seater plane with three colleagues, one having a pilots license. During the flight he gave me control and I was flying for little bit less than an hour. Did turns, went up and down and thought "that's so easy, like in ms flight sim". lol. The pilot then asked me if I had been flying an airplane before since I did it that good lol.

The only really hard parts seemed to be the landing offcourse and the radio stuff because I couldn't even understand one single word (the pilot neither but he told me that he knows what air control and the tower would say)
Great experience, sadly its about twice the price here to get a motor plane license. Small country... less airspace.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Gotcha. That's for the bare minimum of hours required by the FAA, though--40 hours. Realistically, it usually takes 70-90 hours for most people to get their license, which can up the cost considerably. I'm debating on taking a pilot training loan (yes, there is such a thing) for the whole thing if I can get it, or paying for as much as I can as I go. It would probably cost less in the end to pay it all at once and fly as much as possible to get it done (you remember more that way, or so I keep hearing), but I really don't want a loan like that over my head. Decisions, decisions......

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerChris View Post
and across the Atlantic for the first time

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Hell, I seem to remember hearing of one in the 70's or 80's being flown into the Soviet Union under the radar, on Border Guards Day (when all the Border Guards there are uproarously drunk and thus nobody was watching the borders, really), and landing I think in St. Petersburg on a main road. A German teenager who wanted to defect, I believe.
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.

Last edited by CJStudent; 01-03-2013 at 05:56..
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:29   #629
Horror
Polizei
 
Horror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Germany
Posts: 7,238
Send a message via ICQ to Horror
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post

Hell, I seem to remember hearing of one in the 70's or 80's being flown into the Soviet Union under the radar, on Border Guards Day (when all the Border Guards there are uproarously drunk and thus nobody was watching the borders, really), and landing I think in St. Petersburg on a main road. A German teenager who wanted to defect, I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathias_Rust
__________________
Everything will be okay in the end. If its not okay, its not the end.
Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45   #630
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,760
Blog Entries: 1
Pffft... amateurs, I logged at least a few thousand hours in my AH-64 Apache (simulation) during college. Didn't help my grades, but I did kill a lot of Russian tanks and even a few Hinds.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 14:45   #631
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 18,000
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Pffft... amateurs, I logged at least a few thousand hours in my AH-64 Apache (simulation) during college. Didn't help my grades, but I did kill a lot of Russian tanks and even a few Hinds.
Jungle Strike or Desert Strike? Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo?
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 14:52   #632
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 18,000
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror View Post
Thanks, man! I barely remembered a few details and didn't have time to look it up earlier.
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 19:26   #633
indigent
Bamboozled
 
indigent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tx
Posts: 3,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstudent View Post
jungle strike or desert strike? Sega genesis or super nintendo?
386 pc......
__________________
Si vis pacem, para bellum
indigent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 20:33   #634
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned
 
RyanNREMTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 4,728
I used to play the crap out of a Chuck Yeager flight simulator. Now that was a fun game. I think I used to play Desert Strike on the PC as well. One of those copter games got me kicked out of the cockpit of a Cobra once as a kid at a airshow.
__________________
Support Free Range Shopping Carts on Facebook.
RyanNREMTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 00:32   #635
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,760
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Jungle Strike or Desert Strike? Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigent View Post
386 pc......
Got you beat on that.

It was on a Commodore 64 and I forgot the name of the game... but it had to be booted up from a few floppy disks, not the little compact ones, the true floppy 5.5" flimsy plastic disks that required a paper sleeve to protect the exposed magnetic media inside.

But man, did I log tons of hours on that sim blasting through all the scenarios, including NATO and Middle Eastern conflicts.

Oh, did I mention it was like 73F today and I drove my convertible with the top down and actually got a farmer's tan on my arms? Saw a few cute girls walking around the main cruise venues too... almost makes you forget about the communists running this state.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.

Last edited by lawman800; 01-04-2013 at 00:33..
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:13   #636
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy
 
OfficerChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schnitzelhausen
Posts: 7,868
Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Jungle Strike or Desert Strike? Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo?
holy cow I loved jungle strike, but only the first mission in washington. So funny when the small people climbed up the ladder. Back then I was a kid and my english wasnt very good, but I did understand most of it.
I always wondered when the message "the president's limo is beeing attacked" was displayed, why they would use this kind of a slang term for the attack....-> because I thought that means the president's limonade is beeing attacked

The stealth fighter mission sucked, I never made that one.
__________________
Pinki: "I don't think you want to get wild OC style"
Personal hero: Lawman800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:15   #637
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy
 
OfficerChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schnitzelhausen
Posts: 7,868
Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Got you beat on that.

It was on a Commodore 64 and I forgot the name of the game... but it had to be booted up from a few floppy disks, not the little compact ones, the true floppy 5.5" flimsy plastic disks that required a paper sleeve to protect the exposed magnetic media inside.

But man, did I log tons of hours on that sim blasting through all the scenarios, including NATO and Middle Eastern conflicts.

Oh, did I mention it was like 73F today and I drove my convertible with the top down and actually got a farmer's tan on my arms? Saw a few cute girls walking around the main cruise venues too... almost makes you forget about the communists running this state.
I am still thinking about the green card thing...
__________________
Pinki: "I don't think you want to get wild OC style"
Personal hero: Lawman800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:18   #638
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 18,000
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerChris View Post
holy cow I loved jungle strike, but only the first mission in washington. So funny when the small people climbed up the ladder. Back then I was a kid and my english wasnt very good, but I did understand most of it.
I always wondered when the message "the president's limo is beeing attacked" was displayed, why they would use this kind of a slang term for the attack....-> because I thought that means the president's limonade is beeing attacked

The stealth fighter mission sucked, I never made that one.
Same here on all counts, other than the lemonade, lol. I played it on sega genesis, and loved the DC missions. I don't think I ever got past the stealth fighter mission either, though.
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:39   #639
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy
 
OfficerChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schnitzelhausen
Posts: 7,868
Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
I also played it on Sega. I cant even remember if it was in English or German, but I do know the term limo was used and its called limonade in German.

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

watch this!

I nearly get goosebumps lol
__________________
Pinki: "I don't think you want to get wild OC style"
Personal hero: Lawman800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 21:27   #640
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,760
Blog Entries: 1
That's a Comanche... not an Apache. The flight hours (simulated) that I logged were on a way more intense and accurate program where I had to actually worry about the collective as well as the various avionic systems while flying around and shooting at targets. You guys are way out of your league against this veteran combat helo (simulated) jockey!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:30.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,037
347 Members
690 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31