Old 01-12-2013, 05:40   #676
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gombey View Post
I DON'T WANNA GO TO DRILL TOMORROW!!!!

I want to sleep in. :,(
Mine was originally scheduled for this weekend, but they changed it to next weekend and extended it into a muta 6, oh joy oh joy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:48   #677
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
Lol, well you mentioned the collective, wasnt sure if there was a setup I wasn't aware of. I'd love to have something like that to plug into my computer..
Resistance is futile.

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:07   #678
RMolina628
got a job!

My schedule for school/work this week allows me 2.68 minutes to surf CT. So seeya in a week!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:12   #679
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMolina628 View Post
My schedule for school/work this week allows me 2.68 minutes to surf CT. So seeya in a week!
See ya!

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:14   #680
CJStudent
Fenced In

So yeah, flying is not for me, lol. Panic attacks are no fun, btw. Plus, I rationalized that it's not worth going into debt just for a hobby (or at least a non-gun hobby.... ), and now I might actually be able to have a real vacation for the first time in years that isn't just camping.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2013, 10:38   #681
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gombey View Post
I DON'T WANNA GO TO DRILL TOMORROW!!!!

I want to sleep in. :,(
I distinctly remember those times.

Sent from my communicator.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39   #682
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMolina628 View Post
Later on the flip side.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:43   #683
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Haven't been doing as much on CT. I took a little break from responding, although I would stop in and lurk a bit.

Right now I'm trying to save up for an M1 Garand. A person can take care of larger varmints with that one. Anyone else have One?

Last edited by Hack; 01-12-2013 at 10:43..
Old 01-12-2013, 10:45   #684
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Haven't been doing as much on CT. I took a little break from responding, although I would stop in and lurk a bit.

Right now I'm trying to save up for an M1 Garand. A person can take care of larger varmints with that one. Anyone else have One?

I don't have one, but I'm thinking about getting one through CMP if I can't find a good deal on an AR or AK.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2013, 10:51   #685
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
I don't have one, but I'm thinking about getting one through CMP if I can't find a good deal on an AR or AK.
Yeah that's what I am looking at now. Rack grade is sold out now. I wonder how the field grade is?

Old 01-12-2013, 11:12   #686
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Yeah that's what I am looking at now. Rack grade is sold out now. I wonder how the field grade is?

Field grade is what I was looking at; I didn't trust the quality on the rack grade. Plus, they've been sold out of rack-grade ones for a WHILE now.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2013, 11:23   #687
Horror
Polizei

Send a message via ICQ to Horror
Hallo Kameraden
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26   #688
blueiron
Clown move, bro

I bought one waaay back when I was on active duty. The two thingx I don't like about the M1 are that the inexpensive surplus ammo is pretty much gone and my eyes aren't what they used to be, so 500 meter work is now guesswork.

Mine was built at Springfield Armory back in February 1944 and was arsenal rebuilt at the Red River Army Depot in 1964. The only thing I did to it was to steam the stock dents up, sand the stock, and hand oil it.

I wouldn't be afraid of a Field grade rifle. It just may need a bit more care if you want a pristine looking rifle. If you want a piece of history as it was earned, simply leave it as it is and shoot it.

Dear God, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. It's got to rank right up there with CALEA. -Pepper45
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:27   #689
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I wanted a M1 Carbine from CMP forever but couldn't get it done... my dad would love to have a Garand. That was his old weapon in the service.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:36   #690
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
I bought one waaay back when I was on active duty. The two thingx I don't like about the M1 are that the inexpensive surplus ammo is pretty much gone and my eyes aren't what they used to be, so 500 meter work is now guesswork.

Mine was built at Springfield Armory back in February 1944 and was arsenal rebuilt at the Red River Army Depot in 1964. The only thing I did to it was to steam the stock dents up, sand the stock, and hand oil it.

I wouldn't be afraid of a Field grade rifle. It just may need a bit more care if you want a pristine looking rifle. If you want a piece of history as it was earned, simply leave it as it is and shoot it.
They do sell some Greek surplus ammo; 200 rounds in a .30-cal can for $98 or so. I have no idea how that relates to how it used to be, though; I've just recently started looking into .30-06 ammo.

Quote:

Last edited by CJStudent; 01-12-2013 at 11:36..
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37   #691
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
I wanted a M1 Carbine from CMP forever but couldn't get it done... my dad would love to have a Garand. That was his old weapon in the service.
Well, now you know what to do for your dad for Christmas (or whatever y'all celebrate) this year! $525 for a field grade, plus $24.99 for shipping.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2013, 11:52   #692
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Quote:
They do sell some Greek surplus ammo; 200 rounds in a .30-cal can for $98 or so. I have no idea how that relates to how it used to be, though; I've just recently started looking into .30-06 ammo.
I used to buy 200 rounds for $25 dollars [12.5 cents a round] for US mil-surplus.

Dear God, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. It's got to rank right up there with CALEA. -Pepper45
Old 01-12-2013, 11:56   #693
blueiron
Clown move, bro

I used to want a Carbine as a teenager. When I got to shoot just about everything shoulder fired, I realized how much better the M1 rifle is over the Carbine. Even the M2 Carbine just doesn't have enough horsepower for me.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:06   #694
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
I used to buy 200 rounds for $25 dollars [12.5 cents a round] for US mil-surplus.

Quote:
I used to want a Carbine as a teenager. When I got to shoot just about everything shoulder fired, I realized how much better the M1 rifle is over the Carbine. Even the M2 Carbine just doesn't have enough horsepower for me.
I've never shot a carbine, but I've always kinda wanted one as a camping/farm type gun. That, or a 45/70 lever gun, to go to the other end of the spectrum, lol.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2013, 13:52   #695
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Out of all the mil surplus stuff that one could use as a 'farm' gun, I'd want a M3 submachine gun. Stamped metal, slow cyclic rate that allows for single shots, cheap as could be, and a big .45 caliber bullet. There was even a GI 9mm conversion kit for them.

Until the Army and the Corps got rid of the M60 series of tanks, they were still around in them.

Old 01-12-2013, 14:40   #696
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
As long as it is 150 grain there should be no problems.

Old 01-12-2013, 15:13   #697
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Out of all the mil surplus stuff that one could use as a 'farm' gun, I'd want a M3 submachine gun. Stamped metal, slow cyclic rate that allows for single shots, cheap as could be, and a big .45 caliber bullet. There was even a GI 9mm conversion kit for them.

Until the Army and the Corps got rid of the M60 series of tanks, they were still around in them.
Interesting choice; I actually know very little about those, other than I heard they were rather cheaply made, but made excellent suppressed weapons.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2013, 15:13   #698
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
As long as it is 150 grain there should be no problems.

Isn't there certain pressure loads that the M1 can't take?

Quote:
Old 01-12-2013, 15:31   #699
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Quote:
Isn't there certain pressure loads that the M1 can't take?
Never shoot hunting loads out of M1/M14 rifles! The rifles were designed with a particular gas pressure curve [peak impulse pressure/time] and if non mil-spec ammo is used, it can bend the operating rod into an unusable relic.

Military ammo for the .30 Government round ran from 147 grains to 173 grains and as long as it is mil-spec., it is okay. No 220 grain moose loads, no 'light magnum' rounds, no 110 grain varmint loads, and if you handload - use only IMR 3031, BLC-2, and similar powders for gas service rifles.

Old 01-12-2013, 15:41   #700
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Never shoot hunting loads out of M1/M14 rifles! The rifles were designed with a particular gas pressure curve [peak impulse pressure/time] and if non mil-spec ammo is used, it can bend the operating rod into an unusable relic.

Military ammo for the .30 Government round ran from 147 grains to 173 grains and as long as it is mil-spec., it is okay. No 220 grain moose loads, no 'light magnum' rounds, no 110 grain varmint loads, and if you handload - use only IMR 3031, BLC-2, and similar powders for gas service rifles.
Okay, thanks. I don't reload (at least not right now; no place for the setup in my apartment), but what should I look for in commercial ammo for it? Any particular markings or loads that are preferred?

Quote: