Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-05-2015, 14:46   #1
ARP

Preliminary alignment of a laser

I have a light and laser combo currently on a CZ P-09. I would like to try and line up the laser a bit before I get to the range. In my garage I have the ability to mount the gun in a vise, point at a wall and get a sight picture lined up so I am on the target center from the vise with the sights, and then adjust the laser to hit the center point as well, so that I basically end up with my point of aim is my point of impact? Should this work? Distance is about 15 feet.
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 00:06   #2
DJ Niner

Yes. If your sights are dead-on-target at that exact distance, and the laser doesn't add much weight to the gun, you might be shocked at just how close it will be. However, the sights on most pistols aren't exactly zeroed for that distance, and if that is the case with your pistol, the laser will only be as close to the actual POI/holes as the sights that were used to initially align it.

I do this with every laser I have installed; it sure saves on ammo costs...
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 15:00   #3
RichM
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
I have a light and laser combo currently on a CZ P-09. I would like to try and line up the laser a bit before I get to the range. In my garage I have the ability to mount the gun in a vise, point at a wall and get a sight picture lined up so I am on the target center from the vise with the sights, and then adjust the laser to hit the center point as well, so that I basically end up with my point of aim is my point of impact? Should this work? Distance is about 15 feet.
That's the way I always do it and I wind up within a few inches using the laser.
Although I set mine for around 40'. The length of the longest hallway in my home.

Then, using cheap target ammo, tweak the laser adjustments.
But always ......
Remember, final checks and adjustments with your laser should be done with your carry ammo.

You may be surprised at the difference in where the cheap stuff hits vs. the good stuff.

Rich

Edit: I should also mention that you should verify laser alignment every single time you replace the battery. It wouldn't hurt to check it periodically to make sure that it hasn't been knocked out of alignment.

And one final thought.
I had a friend bring his Glock to me because with the laser, it was hitting all over the place.
It turned out that he hadn't properly tightened the mounting screws.
(He was afraid of breaking something. )
Snugging up the screws fixed his problem.

Full Carry NY, AZ, FL, ME, NH, PA, UT, VA

Last edited by RichM; 01-06-2015 at 15:16..
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 20:57   #4
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Quote:
......................... Should this work? Distance is about 15 feet.
It does work just fine. Done it several times.

Go ahead and do it, but remember it isn't really set right until you've tested it by shooting at least several rounds. A laser can be set correctly this way, initially, and then be knocked way off by the first few shots through it afterwards. Shooting it is usually needed to make sure the adjustment screws have all their slack taken up and it isn't going to move any more.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 21:32   #5
janice6

Quote:
This was my technique also. It works very well so that only minor adjustments are left for the range.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote