GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:21   #1
Climbhard

How much does an idiot mark reduce value.

So if you're considering the purchase of a blue Les Baer and its what you're looking for in other ways but it has an idiot mark, how much $$ would you reduce or take of the resale value?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:07   #2
wrx04

None, IMO. If you are looking for a great gun to shoot, buy it. If you want something pretty, find one without the mark or buy new.

As long as the gun was taken care of and not abused, i dont see it as a problem at all. If you shoot/carry the gun, it will get banged up a little. Gives it character. Buy it and dont look back....great pistols.
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 17:17   #3
R0CKETMAN
NRA MEMBER

Depends on the buyer. For me if I'm not re-finishing I would pass on all with an idiot mark.

"Home of the Free because of the Brave"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 17:21   #4
Drilled

You talking major idiot mark like a gouge?

Rounds through the gun?

How many owners?

Les makes a great gun.

Was it a carry gun?
Old 10-10-2012, 17:28   #5
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Idiot marks on a blued pistol will lower the price I am willing to
pay by around $300 about $150 on a stainless pistol.
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 17:40   #6
TxGun

It's definitely going to lower the value to me. How much depends on a few variables. And, like wrench said, more on a blued gun, less on stainless. I may be a little more forgiving, so I'm going to say my low-high parameters are $50 on stainless if I think I can polish it out myself...about $150 on a blued gun if I think I'm going to have to have the frame refinished. If it's gouged enough, I'm walking away. Also, an idiot may have done something else to the gun of which the scratch is only the most obvious indication, so give it a close look. That said, a Baer is a Baer and if the price is reasonable for overall condition, you have to give it a lot of consideration.

Last edited by TxGun; 10-10-2012 at 17:57..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 18:16   #7
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic

A 1911 with an "idiot scratch" makes me wonder if the internals have been jacked with by someone that can't put the slide stop back in without gouging the frame.
3rdgen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 18:28   #8
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen40 View Post
A 1911 with an "idiot scratch" makes me wonder if the internals have been jacked with by someone that can't put the slide stop back in without gouging the frame.
I agree, however, i will say Baers bluing scratches easily and the guns are usually fit very tight. It doesnt necessarily take a hackjob to put an idiot scratch on one.

Personally, i prefer to buy new guns so i dont have to deal with problems that the previous owner caused. The original owner may have had an "oops" moment, or he couldve totally f'ed up the internals. My money is on the former in this instance, but that is the risk you take.

My opinion: Buy a new one exactly how you want it. It probably isnt that much more than a used one if you have the right source, and it guarantees someone hasnt messed up the internals.
Old 10-10-2012, 18:28   #9
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
Depends on the buyer. For me if I'm not re-finishing I would pass on all with an idiot mark.

Unless its something that I couldn't find another of, I'd pass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 18:46   #10
dakrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbhard View Post
So if you're considering the purchase of a blue Les Baer and its what you're looking for in other ways but it has an idiot mark, how much $$ would you reduce or take of the resale value?
as much as a new refinishing would cost. but only after a careful inspection of all internal parts. if he can't put the slide and frame together properly.... you know the rest
Old 10-10-2012, 18:56   #11
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx04 View Post
I agree, however, i will say Baers bluing scratches easily and the guns are usually fit very tight. It doesnt necessarily take a hackjob to put an idiot scratch on one.
I don't care how tight the gun is or how easy the blueing scratches.If you put an idiot scratch on it, you're a hack.When done correctly there is no reason to drag the slide stop on the frame to install it.
3rdgen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 18:58   #12
wrx04

Quote:
I don't care how tight the gun is or how easy the blueing scratches.If you put an idiot scratch on it, you're a hack.When done correctly there is no reason to drag the slide stop on the frame to install it.
Disagree.
Old 10-10-2012, 19:33   #13
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Depends on how bad of a gouge. If it's just a surface scratch, I'll consider it typical wear & tear. More than that, I'd consider it as damage.
Old 10-10-2012, 19:55   #14
RetailNinja

Send a message via AIM to RetailNinja
Since it's a Baer... I'd ask for $200 off to cover the cost of Bearcoat
Old 10-10-2012, 20:06   #15
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
That's me as well.

GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:25   #16
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Quote:
Disagree.
I disagree with the disagreement.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:26   #17
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Quote:
Disagree.
Does YOUR'S have an idiot mark?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:48   #18
PhotoFeller

If I'm gonna pay $1500+ for a pistol to be a shooter or a showpiece, I won't accept a prominent scratch of any kind. If the gun is priced to reflect the damage, like $1,200 for an otherwise $1,500 pistol, I'll give it serious consideration.

I wouldn't fret over a scratch on a low end pistol, like a RIA, just because there isn't that much money in the deal. Still, a price reduction would be necessary. By the way, I like my RIA 1911 a lot.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-11-2012 at 03:49..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:41   #19
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Does YOUR'S have an idiot mark?

I have three 1911's and they all have thousands of rounds through them. I take care of my guns well, and maintain them properly. The Baer is the only one with the scratch, even though they have all been broken down and reassembled many times by the same hack-job......me. The Baer SS was fit very tight, and instead of taking my time, i rushed it......there is the scratch.

My point is that the guns function perfectly and are well taken care of despite the scratch. The internals are not screwed with. Im sure there are many other guns out there with similar stories.

Also, the Baer finish is very easy to scratch IMO. Look at the pics of my UTC and CQB.....they both have approximately the same number of rounds through them.

Last edited by wrx04; 05-02-2014 at 19:43..
Old 10-11-2012, 12:54   #20
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbhard View Post
Depends on how much it costs. No one will get a premium price with an idiot mark. I would probably buy a gun with the mark but it would eat at my soul and embarrass me if someone checked out my gun.

MF