GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 20:32   #21
Frank V
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: S.W. Montana
Posts: 605
The .30-06 is a fantastic cartridge. The Remington Core Lock has been suggested & it's a fine load. I've had great results with Federal ammo, I'd probably choose a 150-165gr bullet
Frank
__________________
U.S.A. "RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"
Frank V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:47   #22
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze
 
Clutch Cargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,059
Im 30-06, I'd use anything but FMJ military surplus ammo.
__________________
GTDS
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
Clutch Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:32   #23
vafish
Senior Member
 
vafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia
Posts: 24,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by superspud View Post
going to be doing some whitetail hunting and need to get a good 30-06 load.

i know nothing about what grain or type of bullet for this, im more of a small game type of hunter.


i was told by my hunting buddies to look in the 150-165 grain market with a soft tip bullet, which narrows it down to about 150 different types of bullet / manufacturers...

please advise, links are welcomed...
Your buddies are right.

Any 150-165 gr soft point will work just fine.

No need for the expensive stuff.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years,
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:41   #24
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Seeing how I have a 50-yard range with my 12ga slug gun, I am going to use a tree stand, or just stand next to a tree.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:45   #25
MAC702
Senior Member
 
MAC702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Clark County, NV
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Starr View Post
For WT deer any 06 will do.
This.

There is no bullet that comes out of a .30-06 that won't cleanly kill a deer.

The absolute cheapest stuff you can find at Wal-Mart will work perfectly, but no FMJ.

Spend a lot more time practicing holding the rifle steady and getting into jackass shooting positions and learning how to use a sling.
__________________
Blue & Gold Firearms Training

"It doesn't matter how many people I've killed. What matters is how I get along with the people who are still alive." - Jimmy the Tulip

Last edited by MAC702; 11-01-2012 at 13:47..
MAC702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:57   #26
shawnbryan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Central Vermont
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
This.

There is no bullet that comes out of a .30-06 that won't cleanly kill a deer.

The absolute cheapest stuff you can find at Wal-Mart will work perfectly, but no FMJ.

Spend a lot more time practicing holding the rifle steady and getting into jackass shooting positions and learning how to use a sling.
Perfectly said - skill is far more important than the load out of 30-06. Deer are easy to kill - provided you make a clean shot.
__________________
Shawn Bryan
Central VT
shawnbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:57   #27
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
This.

There is no bullet that comes out of a .30-06 that won't cleanly kill a deer.

The absolute cheapest stuff you can find at Wal-Mart will work perfectly, but no FMJ.

Spend a lot more time practicing holding the rifle steady and getting into jackass shooting positions and learning how to use a sling.
That is right. The .30-"06 cartridge is plenty powerful for whitetail deer, and elk, for that matter. No military FMJs though.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 00:04   #28
dougader
Senior Member
 
dougader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: OryGun
Posts: 3,386
Mark another one down for your "old school" soft point. As stated above, deer are not hard to put down so you don't need to spend $50 on a box of shells.

Also mentioned above (several times) are the Remington Core-Lokt cartridges. They just plain work, so if your rifle shoots them well I say just go for it. The 150 grain load is plenty for deer. Around here the Core Lokt ammo is always on sale around hunting season, too.

I used to hunt with a guy who had 2 huge heads mounted in his office. One was a moose and the other - just as large - was an elk. He had the bullet that he had shot the elk with in a little plastic bottle. It was the only core lokt bullet he ever recovered, and it had entered the elk's left rear hip on a quartering away shot and traveled diagonally up through the right lung and was found just under the hide on the right front shoulder. Both the left rear hip and right front leg were broken. The elk was dead by the time they walked up there... about an 80 yard shot.

I took the bullet home one afternoon to weigh it for Grover and was suprised to see that the 180 grain core lokt still weighed 160 grains. That's about 88% weight retention on a round that broke bones and penetrated a goodly amount. Textbook performance.
__________________
Doug

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:58   #29
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougader View Post
Mark another one down for your "old school" soft point. As stated above, deer are not hard to put down so you don't need to spend $50 on a box of shells.

Also mentioned above (several times) are the Remington Core-Lokt cartridges. They just plain work, so if your rifle shoots them well I say just go for it. The 150 grain load is plenty for deer. Around here the Core Lokt ammo is always on sale around hunting season, too.

I used to hunt with a guy who had 2 huge heads mounted in his office. One was a moose and the other - just as large - was an elk. He had the bullet that he had shot the elk with in a little plastic bottle. It was the only core lokt bullet he ever recovered, and it had entered the elk's left rear hip on a quartering away shot and traveled diagonally up through the right lung and was found just under the hide on the right front shoulder. Both the left rear hip and right front leg were broken. The elk was dead by the time they walked up there... about an 80 yard shot.

I took the bullet home one afternoon to weigh it for Grover and was suprised to see that the 180 grain core lokt still weighed 160 grains. That's about 88% weight retention on a round that broke bones and penetrated a goodly amount. Textbook performance.
There must have been a lot of spoiled meat in that elk.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 13:00   #30
whitebread
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
whitebread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 798
As said, anything will work, but the best load out there these days is the 180grain Barnes TTSX. Extremely good accuracy, excellent ballistic coefficient, and second to none terminal ballistics. Loading 0.050" off the lands gives me better accuracy than MatchKing HPBT.
whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 13:31   #31
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebread View Post
As said, anything will work, but the best load out there these days is the 180grain Barnes TTSX. Extremely good accuracy, excellent ballistic coefficient, and second to none terminal ballistics. Loading 0.050" off the lands gives me better accuracy than MatchKing HPBT.
I don't load rifle ammo yet, but just how do you adjust the OAL so that the bullet lands is .05 inches from the rifling?
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 14:34   #32
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa
 
Zombie Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Old Colorado City
Posts: 19,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I don't load rifle ammo yet, but just how do you adjust the OAL so that the bullet lands is .05 inches from the rifling?
In a nut shell, you're loading one long, jamming it into the lands (it will seat the bullet deeper), measuring overall length and then backing off the desired amount.

On most Rem 700's I've seen, you can forget it. Too much freebore. The lands are too far away. A round loaded that long won't fit in the magazine. Other barrels, it's easier. You also have to deal with inconsistencies in ogive in any given batch of bullets.

Best advice is to just look up overall length that was tested by the bullet manufacturer and do that. Distance from the lands can make a difference, but it's way down the rabbit hole compared to finding a good powder / bullet combination.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 14:36   #33
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 27,022


Caliber Corner

__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glockdude1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 15:31   #34
whitebread
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
whitebread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I don't load rifle ammo yet, but just how do you adjust the OAL so that the bullet lands is .05 inches from the rifling?
http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-...traight-1Each/

It is also a good tool to use when keeping an keep an eye on throat erosion.
whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 18:35   #35
GWG19
Senior Member
 
GWG19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huntsville Al
Posts: 464
First off you need to figure a budget.
Then ya gotta select a rifle. Right now Browning, Ruger, Savage ( probably the best value and accuracy), Winchester and Remington. Then you have Tikka, Sako and other European brands. The new Remington's seen tobe having some problems with quality and accuracy.
My favorite rifles are the Ruger #1's but you have to hand load and tune them.
I have had several Savage Rifles and they have been great shooters. A buddy of mine bought a Savage model 14 30-06. He routinely shoots 300 yards and drops deer with one shot. He has a bean field that is 400 yards wide. He catches deer cutting a corner. He uses 150 grain Remington core lock and has had no problems.
So first off pick a rifle.
Then a good scope. Stay away from Tasco, Simmons and other cheap scopes. Spend the money get a decent scope. I use Nikon on most of my guns including a Monarch African on a 450NE and one on a 45-400 NE. They are good glass a fair price.
Then get some good mounts Warn, Weaver, something that's is steel.
Mount it the right way. Contrary to popular belief you don't just tighten the screws down.
Then shoot a bunch on ammo and find out what your gun shoots the best groups with.
I heard a obserd statement today at the gun store. "Buy cheap ammo to sight in and get on the target, then sight in with this Brand. That brand may not shoot in that rifle.
If money is not an object or you want one rifle look at these guys.
http://www.gunwerks.com/
They are the real deal for long range hunting.
GWG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 20:14   #36
dougader
Senior Member
 
dougader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: OryGun
Posts: 3,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
There must have been a lot of spoiled meat in that elk.
Not really.
__________________
Doug

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 20:55   #37
noway
Senior Member
 
noway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Davie "Cowboy" , FL
Posts: 19,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnbryan View Post
150 grain silvertips have worked extremely well for me here in Vermont.
bingo



I think alot of people over think this deer killing thing. A 30cal is not required nor does a bullet over 150grain. Plain jane grey box winchester or any generic hunting round for a think skinned animal is more than enough.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 23:08   #38
2afreedom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 1,338
My .30-30 does just fine with Winchester 150gr soft points ($13/box). I'm sure the .30-06 would do great with them too.
__________________
It's rare when I use a fannypack. But when I do, no pencilneck punk is gonna call me a dork to my face.-Mark9Fogger
2afreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 23:15   #39
orangeride
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 442
I've shot dozens of deer with my 30-06. Trust me, get some 150-180 nosler bt. I shoot 165's. they hit like Mack trucks. Don't get caught up in this "Premium bullet " bs. It's only needed when your shooting game that is a little large for the gun. Ie 243 for elk or bear. I've seen more deer lost because of tuff bullets. Also aim for the shoulder and brake um down. It will make tracking them a non issue. Also nosler's tend to always shoot pretty good in most guns. So do game kings.
orangeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:43   #40
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
In a nut shell, you're loading one long, jamming it into the lands (it will seat the bullet deeper), measuring overall length and then backing off the desired amount.

On most Rem 700's I've seen, you can forget it. Too much freebore. The lands are too far away. A round loaded that long won't fit in the magazine. Other barrels, it's easier. You also have to deal with inconsistencies in ogive in any given batch of bullets.

Best advice is to just look up overall length that was tested by the bullet manufacturer and do that. Distance from the lands can make a difference, but it's way down the rabbit hole compared to finding a good powder / bullet combination.
This makes sense!
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:44.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 837
184 Members
653 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42