Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 13:04   #76
SCmasterblaster

Maybe the extractor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVolk View Post
Assuming everything Mr. Yeager said is correct, specifically which parts wear out due to the .40 round?

Had Mr. Yeager said "I find the .40 round difficult for me to shoot", then I don't think there would be an issue. But he instead insinuated that no matter the gun and no matter the shooter, the .40 round is difficult to shoot. And that's misinforming pure and simple.

That said, both of my Glocks are .40, although I appreciate most calibers. And I've never had an issue shooting any .40 pistol. My G24 has less muzzle rise than most 9mm's. I'm glad he doesn't like it. More for me.
Or the recoil spring assembly?
Old 10-31-2012, 13:25   #77
PVolk

That's part of the reason I asked. I was wondering if he was referring to $12 parts when talking about premature wear and longevity. Replacing cheap parts after 50k rounds wouldn't at all concern me. Unless he's talking about frames or something...
Old 10-31-2012, 15:01   #78
NDCent
Socially Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVolk View Post
That's part of the reason I asked. I was wondering if he was referring to $12 parts when talking about premature wear and longevity. Replacing cheap parts after 50k rounds wouldn't at all concern me. Unless he's talking about frames or something...
Cheap ammo at $15 x 50 rounds = $300 per 1000 rounds
50,000 rounds = $15,000.00

I'll buy a new $600 pistol if it makes it even close to 50 thousand rounds.
Old 10-31-2012, 15:23   #79
PVolk

I agree. If I put 50k rounds through a pistol, I'd say I got my money's worth out of it. My point is that I've never even heard of anyone wearing out a pistol by shooting it too much. Let alone specifically due to .40 s&w. Not to say that is hasn't happened or isn't impossible, but I'd be curious to know what "worn out and/or broken" specifically entails - especially with .40.

James leads veiwers to believe .40 is uncontrollable and will be a paper weight in no time flat if you shoot it often. Pretty rediculous in my opinion...

Last edited by PVolk; 11-01-2012 at 14:17.. Reason: typos
Old 10-31-2012, 15:57   #80
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post
……… If only they had increased the slide weight to about half way between the 9mm and the .45, there would be far fewer complaints about the snappiness of the .40.
You might, very well, have a point; however, I’m still concerned about the 40’s exceedingly high initial pressure spike. I don’t like it; and it causes me to mistrust any polymer frame pistol the 40 is used in. (Let’s not forget the first 40’s and 10’s were metal frame pistols.)

Quote:
Same answer as above. Do you ever use a pocket pistol? It is a compromise of everyday convenience over slight ease of shooting. That is mainly in practice and there is only a small chance of needing to actually fight when the extra KE might well compensate for the slight increase of split time. In a fight I am sure you would not be noticing the extra recoil and doubt the accuracy would be much different.
Of course I use a pocket pistol. I just came in from outside. I went out to walk our Bulldog while I was wearing a pair of unbelted sweat pants. My pocket pistol was in my right front pocket the entire time we were out. Same thing when I go to get the mail from the box at the end of the driveway.

You’ve reminded me that I drove my shooting buddies, ‘crazy’ for more than 2 years while I tried to make up my mind about which pocket pistol I should carry. In fact you just stated the reasons, ‘Why’ it took me so long to finally make up my mind!

I needed the least amount of compromise and the highest degree of transition I could find for my own pocket pistol. I finally decided upon a Beretta Model 3032, ‘Tom Cat’ pistol (Actually an, ‘Alley Cat’) with an XS Systems, ‘golf ball’ front sight. What’s it do for me? The extra wide backstrap allows me to transition down to a much smaller pistol with no sensation of downsizing, and very little loss of accuracy. I keep it loaded with very hot, Hornady, ‘XTP’ bullets.

In a pistol gunfight I definitely do not notice recoil. I’ve trained with recoil all of my life. To me RECOIL IS A TOOL which I use to drive the pistol - Any pistol I happen to be holding.

Quote:
Thank you. I try to keep it under control but sometimes it slips out.
Yeah, it slipped out all right! What? Cambridge or Eaton.

Quote:
………. Yes, but some of us apply the test of reason and argument to what we find on the internet. (I include you in this group.) I have learned a lot that I did not know before by this process as it has made me re-think previously unexamined opinions.
Humbling, isn’t it! This is the reason, ‘Why’ I continue to hang around internet gun forums, too.

Quote:
Yes, Gabe Suarez used to be a .40S&W advocate and then became a 9mm advocate. I think, but don't know, that he has been against the .45ACP for a long time - he certainly is now. I disagree with him about the 9mm but agree with him about lots of other ideas about pistol craft. I think Suarez has put a lot of quite original thinking into his ideas and testing them as far as is practical. Without knowing enough about Yeager, I don't think he is that kind of individual, but I don't doubt the shooting ability of either of them.
Yeah. I’d say, ‘a long time’ too. I don’t, however, think Suarez is wrong; I know he is. (I regularly watch beef cattle getting executed by gunfire for market. I know, firsthand, what pistol and rifle bullets can and cannot do, as well as how long it takes in order to get the job done.) Let’s just say that comparatively easy to knock over deer, beef cattle ain’t! Putting large beef cattle down is a damned gruesome business.

In my (admittedly limited) experience communicating with Suarez and Yeager, they are somewhat dissimilar individuals. Suarez is more of a thinker; and Yeager is better with a pistol. Both men are good talkers, used to public discourse, and can be engaging.

Quote:
I think Yeager is just talking about simple psi of the gas inside the barrel.
Probably, but, he appears to have the concept somewhat muddled. (That doesn’t mean he’s all wrong, though.)

Quote:
I don't have an opinion about this aspect of Yeager's character as I don't know enough of the facts. I don't know where he ran to or what he did when he got there. If he was laying down effective covering fire from a relatively protected position, that could well have been more use than returning to the vehicle and getting shot on the way. If he was just crouching in a ditch it would be a different matter.
While, at least, one of his vehicle’s occupants jumped out and engaged, Yeager jumped out and ran to a ditch on the opposite side of the road. He remained there out of sight, and out of the line of fire. Yeager did not use his weapon from this position. Prior to jumping out of the vehicle, Yeager had taken it out of drive and, for unknown reasons, set the parking brake.

Here, you can read the Edinburgh, ‘After-Action report’ for yourself -

http://www.defensereview.com/stories...sion%20AAR.doc

(The document is, ‘clean’.)

Last edited by Arc Angel; 11-01-2012 at 10:41..
Old 10-31-2012, 16:20   #81
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Eh... I'll save it for another time.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic

Last edited by uz2bUSMC; 11-01-2012 at 07:19..
Old 10-31-2012, 23:00   #82
Henry's Dad
woof, woof

I love how he makes a small *****/compensation joke about guys who shoot .40s.

And yet...

Shaved head (check)
Goatee (check)
Tat sleeve (check)
Overly tight t-shirt (check)

So, what's this guy compensating for?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:32   #83
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
I've shot .45 200+P Gold Dot and it was HARSH. I don't even want to mess with 230+P.

I know you carry 165gr Gold Dots in .40. I forget what you use in .45.... 230gr Gold Dot?
Your correct. In .40, I primarily carry the 165 Gold Dot. I also really like my test results with the Ranger T-Series in the same weight.

The 200 +P in .45 is a bit snappy out of the poly guns. In a all metal frame gun such as a 1911 or a Sig 220, it's not as bad.

In .45 I usually carry the 230 Grain Gold Dot but lately I've been carrying the Ranger T-Series 230 grain JHP (RA45T) standard pressure load. (I got a good deal on a thousand rounds of RA45T so I couldn't pass it up. Besides, my supply of 230 Gold Dot is drying up.)

I'm very strongly considering the HST 230+P though. (I'm actually considering +P ammo. I never thought I'd see the day I'd do that! LOL!)

It's the only +P load I've tested so far that doesn't feel like +P but still delivers on the velocity!

I'm normally not a big fan of +P ammo in any caliber since it's usually a good bit more snappy than the standard pressure stuff. This HST load is the one exception so far. I don't know how they did it but it delivers on the velocity and shoots like standard pressure ammo!

It has more muzzle blast but I don't notice a change in recoil or point of impact from the standard pressure Ranger ammo, standard 230 ball, or the 230 Gold Dot.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:33   #84
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Dad View Post

And yet...

Shaved head (check)
Goatee (check)
Tat sleeve (check)

Certainly not his over inflated ego!

Old 11-01-2012, 01:39   #85
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
I've shot .45 200+P Gold Dot and it was HARSH. I don't even want to mess with 230+P
Yes. In most cases, that's the trade off with +P ammo and why I've almost completely avoided it over the years.

However, as the case is with the HST 230 +P that I've been extensively testing in the past few months, I guess there are always exceptions that are a game changer!

Last edited by NEOH212; 11-01-2012 at 01:40..
Old 11-01-2012, 11:17   #86
English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
You might, very well, have a point; however, Iím still concerned about the 40ís exceedingly high initial pressure spike. I donít like it; and it causes me to mistrust any polymer frame pistol the 40 is used in. (Letís not forget the first 40ís and 10ís were metal frame pistols.)
I presume you mean the pressure spike shortly after ignition but also presume that it is within SAAMI limits. At that time, the pressure is contained entirely within the barrel and breechface with the barrel locked into the slide. As such the material of the frame is unimportant provided it can take the recoil loads and the right polymers are well able to do that. The great advantage of polymer in a burst case or chamber is that the high pressure gases don't burst the frame and the pressure is exhausted, along with the magazine, through the magazine well. The disadvantage with the metal framed pistol in the same circumstance is that the same pressure breaks the wooden grips and drives the splinters into the shooter's hand. If the burst happened forward of the trigger guard, I can believe that a metal dust cover would offer more protection than a polymer one but that is a much rarer event.

What bothers me with the .40S&W and 357SIG is that fitting a bigger diameter case into the space designed for a 9mm might result in thinner walls and burst chambers in cases where a 9mm with the same level of malfunction might survive, bulged but unburst. This obviously doesn't bother me very much because I have not investigated it.

I do agree that the .40S&W has stretched the limits a little too far. The 10mm is able to produce so much more performance simply because its extra case volume allows it to reduce the spike. By squeezing 10mm Lite performance into the length of the 9mm they are pushing close to the limit of the pressure spike. This, I think, is why there are +p and +p+ loads for the 9mm but not for the 40S&W. If they had designed it to be even as litle as 1 or 1.5mm longer they would have avoided the problem. That would have meant that new designs of pistol would have to have been made and they would then have been designed to be the proper weight. The slight front to back length increase of the grip would not have been as difficult for shorter hands to accommodate as with the 10mm and more people might now be shooting the S&W .40 instead of the .45ACP.

We have talked, in this thread, of the fact that some .40S&W pistols were designed as slight modifications of existing 9mm, but that others, HK and Steyr for instance, were designed for the .40 in the first place with 9mms versions of the bigger pistols rather than the other way round. S&W, of course, always intended it to be for modified 9mm pistols and that single thing might be why its investment was agreed to by S&W and Winchester. In my .40S&W Extra it might never have seen the light of day, but it is a shame that the didn't do it properly. Even as it is, I think it is a better compromise than the 9mm.

Quote:
Yeah, it slipped out all right! What? Cambridge or Eaton.
Nothing so special or grand unfortunately. What wonders the world might have seen had it been so! My schooling was very mixed for various reasons. University was a great basis, but writing has just been a matter of continuing effort and self criticism.

Quote:
Humbling, isnít it! This is the reason, ĎWhyí I continue to hang around internet gun forums, too.
On occasion it is humbling. "How could I have been so STUPID!" On the other hand I have cultivated a mindset that regards discovering my errors as a beneficial gain in my knowledge. Then it can be a pleasure to find I have been wrong but am now less likely to be so - but not always!

I am blessed or cursed with an excess of curiosity and a tendency to notice ideas, including my own, that don't make enough sense. So these moments are not rare. I am continually delighted and amazed at how much can be disovered just by thinking in a constructive way from implication to implication. Some things are so just because they can't be any other way.

English
Old 11-01-2012, 12:42   #87
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Quote:
To me that versatility means nothing. I choose what I consider the best weight/velocity for a self-defense round and I practice with something that matches that as closely as possible. I'm not constantly switching around between weight and velocity extremes.
Perhaps it doesn't matter to you, but if I can make the most of my gun then why not? I carry quality factory JHP's for self defense and to me, that's plenty for "social" work. I practice with normal loads as well, but if I want more I've got it. Should I happen to want something softer, I've got that too and to me, that's a good thing to have.

If I had to choose one pistol cartridge it would be the .40. I like the .45 (ACP and Super), I don't dislike the 9mm and have no use for the 10mm, so I sold it. Such broad versatility means I can have all bases covered without having to own one pistol for this, one for that, etc.
Old 11-01-2012, 13:51   #88
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
Perhaps it doesn't matter to you, but if I can make the most of my gun then why not? I carry quality factory JHP's for self defense and to me, that's plenty for "social" work. I practice with normal loads as well, but if I want more I've got it. Should I happen to want something softer, I've got that too and to me, that's a good thing to have.

If I had to choose one pistol cartridge it would be the .40. I like the .45 (ACP and Super), I don't dislike the 9mm and have no use for the 10mm, so I sold it. Such broad versatility means I can have all bases covered without having to own one pistol for this, one for that, etc.
Good thinking, brother.
Old 11-01-2012, 13:58   #89
BigAlE

>James Yeager
yeah, no.
Old 11-01-2012, 15:24   #90
sharkbait22

He probably would have saved himself a lot of criticism if he would have explained that most people can shoot a 9mm better than they can shoot a .40 Example; you may be able to out shoot me with your .40 while I'm using my 9 but you can not shoot a .40 better than you can shoot a 9mm. But if you like the larger caliber and don't feel the faster splits make any difference then shoot what you like! Caliber wars are stupid IMO. Calibers play such a small part in SD. There are too many variables to ever quantify one caliber over the other. I have seen a lot of people shot with a lot of different loads. Shot placement is key and multiple shots on target trumps larger calibers IMHO. If you have the cash to practice enough with a .40 to be as efficient as I am with my 9mm then my hats off to you!
Old 11-01-2012, 16:13   #91
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait22 View Post
He probably would have saved himself a lot of criticism if he would have explained that most people can shoot a 9mm better than they can shoot a .40 Example; you may be able to out shoot me with your .40 while I'm using my 9 but you can not shoot a .40 better than you can shoot a 9mm. But if you like the larger caliber and don't feel the faster splits make any difference then shoot what you like! Caliber wars are stupid IMO. Calibers play such a small part in SD. There are too many variables to ever quantify one caliber over the other. I have seen a lot of people shot with a lot of different loads. Shot placement is key and multiple shots on target trumps larger calibers IMHO. If you have the cash to practice enough with a .40 to be as efficient as I am with my 9mm then my hats off to you!

I think that you are correct about the .40 being harder to shoot than a 9mm. I am about to buy a G22 after 23 years of carrying/shooting a G17.
Old 11-01-2012, 16:22   #92
sharkbait22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I think that you are correct about the .40 being harder to shoot than a 9mm. I am about to buy a G22 after 23 years of carrying/shooting a G17.
Wow! You certainly are no stranger to the G17! Hopefully you'll get another 23 years out of your G23.
Old 11-01-2012, 19:01   #93
PrecisionRifleman

I think he just sucks at shooting the 40. I love my 40, and yes it takes a little more practice to get used to v.s a 9mm or 45 in a compact package, but I think it's well worth it. For the record I pretty much like em all though.

G20SF
Gen4 G23
Old 11-01-2012, 19:05   #94
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1178 View Post
Does the go tee and tattoos make him somehow an expert? What's his GT handle?

The tats are ghey but that is not a 'go tee' but rather a Vandyke.

Do continue as I have think the .40 is a great round.
Old 11-01-2012, 19:16   #95
JW1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Dad View Post

And yet...

Shaved head (check)
Goatee (check)
Tat sleeve (check)

I wonder what kind of vehicle he drives. I could imagine him hopping out of a jacked up pickup truck with stacks cut out of the bed, wearing a Tapout shirt and white framed sunglasses.... that would top it off!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 19:26   #96
reelnative

James Yeager well hes a looser to start, he lost on one man army show didnt even come in second, second off he states that he lost 3 budys in iraq in an ambush, usually the ones who live were hiding while the ones fighting die mmm makes ya think about this guy, i think hes full of **** if you cant hold a 40 and shoot it then you dont need to be messing with weapons, ive got one (a 40)its what my 120lb wife shoots, hes just another ass clown that wants to spout off, let him have his fun but that was 6min and 32sec of my life ill never get back
Old 11-01-2012, 21:20   #97
Henry's Dad
woof, woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1178 View Post

I wonder what kind of vehicle he drives. I could imagine him hopping out of a jacked up pickup truck with stacks cut out of the bed, wearing a Tapout shirt and white framed sunglasses.... that would top it off!!!
Either that, or his wife makes him drive a minivan.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:04   #98
SouthpawShooter
Rocker Glocker

Ugh, really? This crapola again?

I'm convinced that many of these "tactical firearms instructors" all repeat the same mantra about using 9mm and "shot placement" to sell classes.

They get students brainwashed to believe that all they need are a G19, and cheap 9mm ammo and several classes to defend themselves, and to not worry about ballistics or "magic bullets".

Well, I don't believe in "magic bullets", but as long as I can shoot it proficiently, I want the most powerful round I can have in a package that's reliable, concealable, and controllable.

Do I believe in, and more importantly count on "1 shot stops"? NO. But, there may be times where 1 shot is all you get before your adversary is on top of you, and your pistol now won't go back into battery, and it's now a grappling match; where it's either go hands on, go to a blade, or try to re-rack slide. I'd really prefer that if all I get is 1 round in the guy, I want it to do as much damage as possible, making the rest of the encounter more favorable to me.

How anyone can say that there is "no difference" in being hit with a heavier, faster moving projectile given the same materials and construction, is beyond reason.

Forget about shot placement for a minute- you have a choice- a high school all city pitcher throwing an 8 ounce baseball at your head, or Nolan Ryan throwing a 10 ounce baseball at your head?

I really think the whole ".40 uncontrollable recoil impulse" is repeated by people who either don't shoot much, or who have girly, delicate wrists and hands, or both.

I went shooting last week, and took my dad, who hasn't shot in quite some time. I brought my gen 2 G19, and my gen 3 G23. We shot 115 gr 9mm FMJ, and 180 gr TMJ .40(like FMJ, but with a truncated flat nose)

While I'll admit the .40 definitely has more recoil, it is not all that difficult to keep a 4-5 inch group at 20 yards or so rapid fire.

I basically did a back to back comparison with my 19 & 23 doing mag dumps into identical targets at identical distances, and the groups were almost identical. (with the exception of bigger holes with the .40)

My dad had a little harder time with the .40, but he still had decent groups. Since he's not used to shooting, the 9mm was more "pleasant" to shoot. And I'll admit, the 9mm is very mild, and easy on the hands, wrists, arms, etc.

I don't consider myself a .40 "fanboy". I really don't care. I use what works. If I can shoot it proficiently, I use it. If it makes a bigger, deeper hole, and hits harder, how can that be bad?

There is only a 2 round difference in capacity between the 19 & 23. So that is a non-issue. If the 14 rounds of .40 didn't solve my problem, then it's time to reload. However, the odds of that happening are literally less than winning the lottery.

Would I feel naked, and undergunned with a 9mm? No. It's fine. It has nothing to do with ***** size, or ego, or any other crap that is spouted by the same guys all the time. And please, spare me the "9mm is cheaper, so I can train more", garbage too. I buy ammo in lots of a thousand. It's about $20 more for .40. I guess I'm lucky enough to be one of the "1%" so I can afford the extra 20 bucks.

The guys who say this crap are buying 50 round boxes at walmart when their wife will let them. Sorry, but if you're buying 50 round boxes, you're plinking, not training. If 20 bucks difference is keeping you from "training", then you have bigger problems in your life.

These arguments are lame. Just shoot what you like- preferably, the most powerful round you can control, that offers a reasonable capacity, and can conceal if necessary. PERIOD.

P.S. I purchased a Lone Wolf .357 Sig bbl for my G23, and wanted to try it out, but unfortunately, the range was out of .357 sig ammo! I just got the darn bbl in the mail, and like a dummy, figured they'd have some.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:43   #99
gatorboy

""But, English, a scaled up G-17 is what everyone has always said the G-22 actually is! The G-22 is really nothing more than a trial and error modified G-17 - Which is exactly how I think Gaston and the boys actually built the thing. (Compliments of the ingenuous gun-buying American public.)""
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The slides were heavier from day one. The barrel and chamber were both made very close to the same thickness as the 9mm (by way of larger breechface [duh] and larger O.D. barrel) which is same pressure. Other than 20# recoil spring which many of us 40 and 357auto shooters did, what else is there? Make it fat like a 10mm/45? Only reason I don't carry 10mm everyday personally.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:48   #100
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Your correct. In .40, I primarily carry the 165 Gold Dot. I also really like my test results with the Ranger T-Series in the same weight.

The 200 +P in .45 is a bit snappy out of the poly guns. In a all metal frame gun such as a 1911 or a Sig 220, it's not as bad.

In .45 I usually carry the 230 Grain Gold Dot but lately I've been carrying the Ranger T-Series 230 grain JHP (RA45T) standard pressure load. (I got a good deal on a thousand rounds of RA45T so I couldn't pass it up. Besides, my supply of 230 Gold Dot is drying up.)

I'm very strongly considering the HST 230+P though. (I'm actually considering +P ammo. I never thought I'd see the day I'd do that! LOL!)

It's the only +P load I've tested so far that doesn't feel like +P but still delivers on the velocity!

I'm normally not a big fan of +P ammo in any caliber since it's usually a good bit more snappy than the standard pressure stuff. This HST load is the one exception so far. I don't know how they did it but it delivers on the velocity and shoots like standard pressure ammo!

It has more muzzle blast but I don't notice a change in recoil or point of impact from the standard pressure Ranger ammo, standard 230 ball, or the 230 Gold Dot.
I use +p+ for my G17 ccw load. I don't notice a big change in recoil.