GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 11:54   #51
Brick_Top
Member
 
Brick_Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 26
Ankle carry is dirty work, the 442 will serve you well. I use a pm9 but would have no problems using a small revolver.
Brick_Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:37   #52
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
That said, what type of uniform do you wear? If it's class A, your options as to carry location are more limited that if it's say BDU based.
I would think the opposite - I wore both and it was a lot easier to carry a backup when I was in a class A/B uniform by putting on an ankle holster. My brother wears a BDU uniform most of the time as a K9 officer and has the same complaint - he is issued an ankle holster he can't use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
I don't know if they still make them but they used to make a bolt on shroud for the hammer. If hammerless is needed then a 442 or 642.
Not sure why hammerless is needed. I always carried one with a hammer and never noticed a need for anything else. Pretty much everybody I knew carried a S&W mod 60 in an ankle holster, since that's what the state police issued back then.
__________________
Open carry activists are to gun rights what the Westboro Baptist Church is to free speech.

Last edited by Bren; 11-01-2012 at 12:43..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:13   #53
rockapede
Senior Member
 
rockapede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I would think the opposite - I wore both and it was a lot easier to carry a backup when I was in a class A/B uniform by putting on an ankle holster. My brother wears a BDU uniform most of the time as a K9 officer and has the same complaint - he is issued an ankle holster he can't use.
I suppose that depends on whether you blouse your boots or not. With our particular pants (5.11 Taclites) we don't, so ankle carry is still a viable option, plus I've got multiple pockets in which a BUG can fit. I see your point though, it really just depends.
__________________
“Do you like being a cop?"
"I love it, when it doesn't suck, sir.”

-Edward Conlon
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 19:48   #54
SEH95B
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 349
What do you carry for duty?
SEH95B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 22:08   #55
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,302
Blog Entries: 1
How does the black finish hold up on the 442? I went with the 642 partly due to worry that the black finish will wear off or just get shiny.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 20:41   #56
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist
 
Dragoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 24,108
When I first started I carried a smaller rock to back up my primary one.

__________________
“Right is still right, even if nobody is doing it. And wrong is still wrong, even if everybody is doing it.”—Texas Ranger saying.
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 21:46   #57
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,302
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
When I first started I carried a smaller rock to back up my primary one.

You guys were advanced enough to carry projectile weapons already?

I thought you carried a femur from a brontosaurus as your primary and you stuck a saber tooth fang in the folds of the animal skin loincloth as your hidden backup weapon?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 21:49   #58
razdog76
Heavy Mettle
 
razdog76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
You guys were advanced enough to carry projectile weapons already?

I thought you carried a femur from a brontosaurus as your primary and you stuck a saber tooth fang in the folds of the animal skin loincloth as your hidden backup weapon?
He just carried two femurs c'mon... It was known as the prehistoric New Your reload.
__________________
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 22:00   #59
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,302
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
He just carried two femurs c'mon... It was known as the prehistoric New Your reload.
He was also known to take out all of the marrow in his primary femur bone before he engaged so when the suspect took away his primary "empty" or "hollow" femur, he can then use his hidden backup sabertooth fang and successfully subdue the suspect and save the Jurassic day.

That is after he puts on his official police pelt on his head, scratches down an appointment on the cave wall, and follows someone's uber hot Neanderthal woman girlfriend for 7 caves outside of his jurisdiction.

Not sure if Dragoon ever stayed at a Holiday Cave Express though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 21:56   #60
razdog76
Heavy Mettle
 
razdog76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
He was also known to take out all of the marrow in his primary femur bone before he engaged so when the suspect took away his primary "empty" or "hollow" femur, he can then use his hidden backup sabertooth fang and successfully subdue the suspect and save the Jurassic day.

That is after he puts on his official police pelt on his head, scratches down an appointment on the cave wall, and follows someone's uber hot Neanderthal woman girlfriend for 7 caves outside of his jurisdiction.

Not sure if Dragoon ever stayed at a Holiday Cave Express though.
Don't know about that, but he gets credit for the whole hiding behind a wall of (thrown) rocks thing.

Awww, when will MTPD come back to give some comedy relief?
__________________
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 15:02   #61
ChrisYZFR1
Member
 
ChrisYZFR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi.
Posts: 90
A Glock 27, doesn't have a hammer and if you hold it right, it kind of looks like a J.

Never carried a revolver, but I carry my 27 with a Gould &Goodrich boot lock. Never have to worry about the holster falling off.
__________________
G17, G19, G21, G22, G27, G30, G34, G35, Ruger LCP, S&W 1911PD, Sig P226, Colt Python, Kimber TLEII, Colt LE6940, Remington 700, Marlin 22, Ruger M77 MKII, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mini 14 and numerous other .22's and BB/Pellet guns.
ChrisYZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:06   #62
BlackPaladin
Senior Member
 
BlackPaladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Somewhere out there
Posts: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisYZFR1 View Post
A Glock 27, doesn't have a hammer and if you hold it right, it kind of looks like a J.

Never carried a revolver, but I carry my 27 with a Gould &Goodrich boot lock. Never have to worry about the holster falling off.
A Glock 27 is a great firearm, but I think more suited as an off duty than a backup. Wiser people than myself have suggested the hamerless snubby because there is very little to go wrong with it. Since the idea for a backup is that everything that can possibly go wrong "has", for this to be called upon, it can't not work.
__________________
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:30   #63
razdog76
Heavy Mettle
 
razdog76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPaladin View Post
A Glock 27 is a great firearm, but I think more suited as an off duty than a backup. Wiser people than myself have suggested the hamerless snubby because there is very little to go wrong with it. Since the idea for a backup is that everything that can possibly go wrong "has", for this to be called upon, it can't not work.
Dead on. Additionally, when you have to carry around 26lbs of uniform for 8+ hours, you want to reduce additional weight.
__________________
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:29   #64
nndavec
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 405
The Smith & Wesson J frame 38s can be a fine back up gun as noted by several here. But they do have their limitations as well and most are only looking at them as for use on contact distance shooting. While they do very well for contact shots, they will lack in the hands of most when shooting at distance of say 15-25 yards.

Since most of the 38s discussed are 5 shots with short ejector rods, they are slow to reload. That is, almost never will all the empties clear the cylinder with the first attempt for a timed reload. On the other hand, most are capable of running the Glock 26/27/33s without issues with double the ammo capacity of the 38s.

I believe that the small 38 Special revolvers are superior to any 380 auto pistol being offered now. From the 380s that our guys have brought to the range, the Ruger LCPs and Sig 238s work well. But we have a fairly large number of guys carrying the Diamondback 380s of which I have not seen one complete the course without malfunctions. Even with the malfunctions the guys seem to love them even though they do not work.

For me, I will carry a 26/27/33 size pistol for a back up and make due with the additional weight and size. It appears to be a fair trade off for a more reliable, higher capacity pistol that shoots ammo that can be reloaded from the ammo on the belt. The back up should be considered a possible replacement for the sidearm as well. In the event of breakage or loss of your primary sidearm, the back up would have the same features and be a very capable replacement.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPaladin View Post
A Glock 27 is a great firearm, but I think more suited as an off duty than a backup. Wiser people than myself have suggested the hamerless snubby because there is very little to go wrong with it. Since the idea for a backup is that everything that can possibly go wrong "has", for this to be called upon, it can't not work.
nndavec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 19:06   #65
BlackPaladin
Senior Member
 
BlackPaladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Somewhere out there
Posts: 2,437
Here it is

S&W 442, I added VZ grips. The LEO price total including shipping was around $335. Thank you guys for the input that went into choosing this one. I will also be purchasing the ankle holster that Dragoon mentioned.

[IMG]Cop Talk[/IMG]


ETA, I have not shot it yet, actually do not yet have any ammo for it.
__________________
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD

Last edited by BlackPaladin; 11-13-2012 at 19:17..
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:47   #66
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud
 
SCSU74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Northwoods
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPaladin View Post
S&W 442, I added VZ grips. The LEO price total including shipping was around $335. Thank you guys for the input that went into choosing this one. I will also be purchasing the ankle holster that Dragoon mentioned.

[IMG]Cop Talk[/IMG]


ETA, I have not shot it yet, actually do not yet have any ammo for it.
Get an XS front sight and you'll be all set! Speer gold dots for short barrels has worked great for me fwiw


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
In Valor There is Hope
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 00:31   #67
mikegun
Senior Member
 
mikegun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: colorado
Posts: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt127 View Post
smith 642.

This holster:

http://www.renegadeholstersdirect.com/page12.html

http://www.renegadeholstersdirect.com/page2.html

and, you're done.

The ankle holster is great if you are sitting in a car or at a desk alot. If i am spending the majority of the day on my feet, i sometimes pocket carry.
i dont care how much you spend u will not find a more comfy holster then the renegade, it also stays put...
__________________
RIP K9 Fant, K9 Flambo. Loyal ,trusted partners.
mikegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:24.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,302
371 Members
931 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42