SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-24-2012, 17:10   #1
JesseA
Glock Historian

Glock thumb safety?

I was talking to a friend of mine (who happens to be in Law Enforcment) and said he would buy a Glock if it had a manual safety. I was looking in my Brownells catalog and they have one. It comes with a Jig so u can make the 3/32 cut and the safety. Is it worth it? I wouldn't mind trying it on one of my Glocks, but I'm afraid it might hurt the dependability. Glock made one model with a thumb safety for the Tazmanian Police Force but I think there is a pretty good reason they don't offer it.
Old 10-24-2012, 17:14   #2
GeorgiaGlocker
Incirlik AB

Glocks do come with a safety. The safety is located between your ears.
Old 10-24-2012, 17:28   #3
cfr

Buy a different gun.
cfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 17:32   #4
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr View Post
Buy a different gun.
This.

If he's in LE, he's been through enough training to know he doesn't need a safety. Simple proper gun handling techniques is plenty.

If you do buy the Glock, which I highly recommend, you'll do just fine without one.

Take a gun safety class and you're good to go. On top of that, it's an accessory that fits any gun you ever hold.

Good luck!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 17:36   #5
HeliGlock
HeliGlock

OMG are yo kidding? Like previously said the Safety is between your EARS. Safety 101. Get real.
HeliGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 17:40   #6
KK40384

This thread is full of FAIL. Thumb safety on a Glock? Are you serious? Go buy a Ruger SR9. That has plenty of safeties
Old 10-24-2012, 17:46   #7
dakrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
If he's in LE, he's been through enough training to know he doesn't need a safety. Simple proper gun handling techniques is plenty.
you would think...
Old 10-24-2012, 17:47   #8
dakrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr View Post
Buy a different gun.
ding ding ding
Old 10-24-2012, 17:49   #9
rv4driver

First, I'd like to apologize in advance for the following sarcastic comment. I'd like to say it's not like me...but we all know better.
Without further ado...

"Let's see...oodles of guns with manual safeties. Glock doesn't have or need one. Hmmm, which gun to buy? Wait! Wait! I know!
The GLOCK! And then...purchase aftermarket parts to make them exactly like the one I didn't buy!"

I am dismayed.
rv4driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 17:50   #10
dakrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv4driver View Post
First, I'd like to apologize in advance for the following sarcastic comment. I'd like to say it's not like me...but we all know better.
Without further ado...

"Let's see...oodles of guns with manual safeties. Glock doesn't have or need one. Hmmm, which gun to buy? Wait! Wait! I know!
The GLOCK! And then...purchase aftermarket parts to make them exactly like the one I didn't buy!"

I am dismayed.
duh. Glock is the only choice in the hood. rappers rap about them

Last edited by dakrat; 10-24-2012 at 17:51..
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 17:52   #11
dhgeyer

Well, you mention owning more than one Glock already, so the suggestions that you buy a different gun probably aren't too helpful. I would argue against the added thumb safety for 2 reasons.

1. It involves cutting the frame, which seems to me fairly drastic and irreversible. It's not the way the gun was designed to operate.

2. One of my functional specifications for a self/home defense pistol is that it must require only pointing at the problem and squeezing the trigger - both natural movements. I don't want to fumble with anything. That's one reason I like Glocks.
dhgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 17:56   #12
DirtyDan

You want the cominolli custom Glock manual safety(probably what Brownells is selling as I know of no others that I'd even consider other than a Glock factory one.)
http://cominolli.com/index.php?cPath...tajujt9ogvjjc6

I'd have Cominiolli to do the job himself if he still does it or Mas Ayoobs gunsmith Rick Devoid http://www.tarnhelm.com/GlockSafety.html

I do agree with the others that a manual safety is not needed on a Glock, but to each his own.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 19:46   #13
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGlocker View Post
Glocks do come with a safety. The safety is located between your ears.
You fail to realize some people don't have THAT safety.

Old 10-24-2012, 19:49   #14
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
You fail to realize some people don't have THAT safety.

And those are exactly the kind of people who shouldn't be even thinking about touching a gun, let alone shooting one or even buying one.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 19:51   #15
RyanBDawg

I'm 25, I've carried my Glock since the age of 21, only time it's ever fired is when I want it to.

My right index finger is my safety.

The only Glock I know of with a built in thumb safety are the ones issued to police in Tasmania, Australia.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-thumb-safety/

Seriously though. If this is an issue, then don't buy a Glock.

Personally I have no desire to ever carry a handgun with a manual safety engaged.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 21:05   #16
9L0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseA View Post
I was talking to a friend of mine (who happens to be in Law Enforcment) and said he would buy a Glock if it had a manual safety. I was looking in my Brownells catalog and they have one. It comes with a Jig so u can make the 3/32 cut and the safety. Is it worth it? I wouldn't mind trying it on one of my Glocks, but I'm afraid it might hurt the dependability. Glock made one model with a thumb safety for the Tazmanian Police Force but I think there is a pretty good reason they don't offer it.
I think everyone is reading the OPs post wrong. His friend the cop said that he would not buy a glock because it has no thumb safety. The OP wants to try out a thumb safety on one of his glocks.
OP don't waste your time and money. Let your friend think what he wants. No sence in messing one of your glocks up to make him happy.

Last edited by 9L0ck; 10-24-2012 at 21:07..
9L0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 13:13   #17
Christopher67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I'd have Cominiolli to do the job himself if he still does it or Mas Ayoobs gunsmith Rick Devoid http://www.tarnhelm.com/GlockSafety.html

I do agree with the others that a manual safety is not needed on a Glock, but to each his own.

Thats Mas Ayoobs gunsmith?
Christopher67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 17:35   #18
gun1three

Glock Thumb Safety

I seriously wish Glock would offer an ambidextrous thumb safety on every model with a 15 lb trigger and then charge $2500 for the gun. Only offer it with a single ten round magazine with a bullet button and some stupid contraption that would prevent carrying with one in the chamber. Offer this stupid abomination of a gun only in fluorescent safety yellow with safety warnings all over it.

People that know nothing about safety and Glocks would feel better, these threads would stop, and Glock could use the money to develop our Glock carbines.

Buck Ofama
gun1three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 19:05   #19
Aquagear

The main reason I bought my first Glock pistol was for my CCW . I wanted simple reliable and safe, much like a double action revolver (you want it to go bang pull the trigger) otherwise keep you're finger out of the trigger guard. I carry a G19, G30 or a Ruger sp101 all of witch are safe when handled correctly. Any firearm is dangerous when handled incorrectly, but if I have to defend myself I want simplicity, which means no extra gadgets to get it the way. (the best safety device ever maid is located between you're ears)
Aquagear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 19:24   #20
Patchman
Florist

Thumb safety on a Glock is crazy because of the KISS principle (why fumble with a thumb safety during a gun fight and when you needed that gun 1.3 seconds ago?). But why not make them with a grip safety a la 1911s and XDs?

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 06-27-2013 at 19:24..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote