SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:39   #1
Constantine88

Glock 19 4th Gen w/ trigger job

Hello all..

Recently sold my Glock 27 (which was paired with my Glock 22 but I then moved to Glock 17) and replaced it with a Glock 19 for CCW.

Since I have the 19 as my personal weapon. I had a trigger job done to it... Now to make a really long story over a long time short.

I had to go back to the smith several times. He lowered the trigger to 2.5lbs and it shot like a dream. However, my biggest concern was it was unreliable. It did this the first time I before I took it back to him..

The trigger would not work. It would go back all the way and come back forward. Then out of nowhere work again.

Took it back he did something, then...second thing.

It would shoot and the trigger would stay back...

So..Back to factory it went. Of course back to 100% reliability.

Now, he says it's all the 4th Gen's fault. I think it's a cop out. What do you guys think?
SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power - Walther PPQ - Glock 17 - Glock 34 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15
Constantine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:46   #2
dhgeyer

I think 3 things.

1. I would not want a 2.5 lb trigger on a "personal weapon".

2. You have a less than competent gunsmith. Probably messed up the connector or something associated with it.

3. You should now leave it alone.
dhgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:52   #3
skyboss_4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer View Post
I think 3 things.

2. You have a less than competent gunsmith. Probably messed up the connector or something associated with it.

Well stated.
Old 10-24-2012, 13:01   #4
Constantine88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer View Post
I think 3 things.

lol...why isn't anyone reading the key points?

Scroll up...my last post. Where I mentioned not knowing what I wanted to do with it so for the time debating I wanted to have fun with it. I did. It was a blast. Great little RANGE trigger. Didn't CARRY it that way. I know better. Benefit of the doubt anyone?

Anyways..I posted this to see if anyone has had a similar issue and to see if his justification was correct. Not to be told what I know and probably knew before you knew. Thank you
SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power - Walther PPQ - Glock 17 - Glock 34 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15
Old 10-24-2012, 13:02   #5
Constantine88

Oh wow...double thread somehow. Mods lock this one up! Sorry!
Old 10-24-2012, 13:44   #6
LampShadeActual

Gun modifier is an idjiot.

For fun making a gun unsafe is likewise.

There is no way with stock parts to get a safe trigger like that. You being unsafe at my range instead of being unsafe CCWing on your own time does not give me a comfort factor. It gives me the willies that you might be the idjiot next to me with a gun that cycles and won't hold "full cock."
LampShadeActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 13:50   #7
RM686

I was going to post a new thread on almost the same thing kind of. I have a 2 month old G19 GEN 4. I have tried 3.5 connectors wolf and the Glock minus. 6 lb trigger spring, polish job and an aftermarket Phampton trigger for $100.00. The pistol is basically back to stock right now with the exception of some light sanding on the stock trigger and safety so it is easier on the finger. NONE of the changes including the connectors made any real difference in trigger weight. It stayed around 5 lbs. The stock connector gives the best or crispest break. The worst was the wolf which was mussy. The Glock minus wa also crisp but no real differance in pull weight.
I really don't get it. All the guys that post leave it stock seem to be correct. I probably threw away over $200.00 for nothing. This does not include the night sights and site pusher tools for another $200.00. I think the lesson here is for A CARRY GUN leave it alone. I have measured the trigger pull with a RCBS gage so my comments on trigger weight are not opinions. I think the big mistake is trying to make a Glock into something it is not.
Can anyone think of why the changes in parts has not resulted in any real change in pull weight? I tried many different combination of parts. The gun has been taken and striped at least 2o times. Not that I would really want to go below 5 lbs on a carry gun.
RM686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 13:58   #8
Constantine88

Yeah..one should never modify their carry gun heavily. For AD's or ND's also for legal reasons. I did it to mine to mess around. It was fun...Back to stock now. Didn't spend a penny on doing any of this.

However, my Glock 34 is going to a mad scientist for some range and competition tuning
Old 10-24-2012, 14:01   #9
Constantine88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampShadeActual View Post
Gun modifier is an idjiot.

For fun making a gun unsafe is likewise.

There is no way with stock parts to get a safe trigger like that. You being unsafe at my range instead of being unsafe CCWing on your own time does not give me a comfort factor. It gives me the willies that you might be the idjiot next to me with a gun that cycles and won't hold "full cock."
You mad bro?

Lost me there...Elaborate more.

But I'll try, no one said anything about unsafe. Assumptions much? lol People have been doing trigger jobs for ages. Nothing to do with being unsafe.

Don't pop an artery now.
Old 10-24-2012, 14:18   #10
RM686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine88 View Post
Yeah..one should never modify their carry gun heavily. For AD's or ND's also for legal reasons. I did it to mine to mess around. It was fun...Back to stock now. Didn't spend a penny on doing any of this.

However, my Glock 34 is going to a mad scientist for some range and competition tuning
Let us know how you make out with any mods.
Some one on this board or another one posted a pod-cast by some well known self defense lawyer on cases where a change from stock in a self defense situation were turned into negligence by a prosecutor claimant lawyer. He gave many examples from even police having a DA revolver cocked into disregard to safety. This scared the hell out of me which is why I took the Phampton trigger out even though it did not lesson the pull weight.
Really amazes me when you clearly stated in your original post how your G19 was not a self defense, gun, people jumped all over you. Same with your G 34. Just putting this in so you know in the above I am talking about my gun not yours.
Old 10-24-2012, 14:50   #11
AZnine

Send a message via AIM to AZnine

Sounds like the connector was not all the way pushed into the trigger housing.

USAF Ret.
Glocks, SIG's, and CZ's
AZnine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 15:08   #12
soggy_spinout
G23 addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine88 View Post
Hello all..

Recently sold my Glock 27 (which was paired with my Glock 22 but I then moved to Glock 17) and replaced it with a Glock 19 for CCW.

Since I have the 19 as my personal weapon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM686 View Post
Really amazes me when you clearly stated in your original post how your G19 was not a self defense, gun, people jumped all over you.
Am I missing something here? Given the title of the thread, this very much sounds like the OP was using a modified gun with a 2.5# trigger as his 'personal weapon'.
soggy_spinout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 15:28   #13
RM686

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy_spinout View Post
Am I missing something here? Given the title of the thread, this very much sounds like the OP was using a modified gun with a 2.5# trigger as his 'personal weapon'.

Ends with gun back to factory and is stock. If logo is correct this guys looks like a police officer which would make me think he would know better than to carry a 2.5 gun for defense. I read it from where his gun is now. I think your reading if he was carrying around a CCW gun with a 2.5 trigger could also be read.
But his question was kinda what is the deal with G19 Gen 4's.
Old 10-24-2012, 16:06   #14
Glock Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM686 View Post
I was going to post a new thread on almost the same thing kind of. I have a 2 month old G19 GEN 4. I have tried 3.5 connectors wolf and the Glock minus. 6 lb trigger spring, polish job and an aftermarket Phampton trigger for $100.00. The pistol is basically back to stock right now with the exception of some light sanding on the stock trigger and safety so it is easier on the finger. NONE of the changes including the connectors made any real difference in trigger weight. It stayed around 5 lbs. The stock connector gives the best or crispest break. The worst was the wolf which was mussy. The Glock minus wa also crisp but no real differance in pull weight.
I really don't get it. All the guys that post leave it stock seem to be correct. I probably threw away over $200.00 for nothing. This does not include the night sights and site pusher tools for another $200.00. I think the lesson here is for A CARRY GUN leave it alone. I have measured the trigger pull with a RCBS gage so my comments on trigger weight are not opinions. I think the big mistake is trying to make a Glock into something it is not.
Can anyone think of why the changes in parts has not resulted in any real change in pull weight? I tried many different combination of parts. The gun has been taken and striped at least 2o times. Not that I would really want to go below 5 lbs on a carry gun.
In order to lower the pull weight you need to do the following: (NOT RECOMMENDED FOR A CARRY WEAPON)

This is how my RANGE GUN is set up

4lb striker spring (risk of light primer strikes)
reduced power safety plunger spring
6 lb trigger spring
3.5 connector (Ghost Rocket in my gun)

I also do a complete polish on all the internal parts to smooth everything out. I have never used a gauge on my trigger but if I had to guess I would say its between 3.5 to 4.0 lbs, minimal pre-travel,short reset and smooth.
Glock Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 16:42   #15
RM686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Junkie View Post
In order to lower the pull weight you need to do the following: (NOT RECOMMENDED FOR A CARRY WEAPON)

This is how my RANGE GUN is set up

4lb striker spring (risk of light primer strikes)
reduced power safety plunger spring
6 lb trigger spring
3.5 connector (Ghost Rocket in my gun)

I also do a complete polish on all the internal parts to smooth everything out. I have never used a gauge on my trigger but if I had to guess I would say its between 3.5 to 4.0 lbs, minimal pre-travel,short reset and smooth.
Tried everything you mentioned above different 3.5 connectors but not the 4lb striker spring.
I believe the striker spring is the deal maker in reducing trigger pull but at the expense of reliably igniting some brands of ammo with hard primers.
Old 10-24-2012, 17:29   #16
45acp2go

Why mess with a good thing out of the box. 3 1/2 lb triggers are the lightest triggers normally installed in Glocks and that should only be for a competition gun, not a personal defense weapon.
BTC Signature Series #40 G19, BTC Custom G19, G23, Kimber Ultra Covert, Kimber Super Carry Pro,Springfield XDs
45acp2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 18:53   #17
NCHeel

RM686, one of the easiest ways to drop the pull weight on the Gen4's is to file the bump on the trigger bar down or install a Gen3 trigger bar. I see no differences in the minus and the dot connectors. I have been told they are the same. With all stock parts I can get my trigger pull down to 4lbs 2ozs and 4lbs 5ozs. The pull is consistent and the break is crisp and you don't feel it "hit the wall" before it breaks. Got to know where to polish.

Glock and S&W M&P Certified Armorer
NRA certified RSO
NRA Instructor for pistol, rifle, shotgun & PPIH and PPOH
NCHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 20:08   #18
Tree Rat
CRB original

Send a message via Yahoo to Tree Rat
What the hell was that bump incorporated in the GEN 4's anyway?

TR
Tree Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 20:18   #19
di11igaf
ibew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Rat View Post

TR
It keeps the trigger bar from flexing and moving too far to the side(by the bump riding the slide), keeping it centered over the plunger.
If you look into the mag well and dry-fire, you can see the difference in the new/old trigger bars.
I don't ever recall it being an issue with gen 1-3, but what do I know.

Last edited by di11igaf; 10-25-2012 at 20:20..
di11igaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 20:48   #20
NCHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Rat View Post

TR
What he said, the trigger bar would flex and be off to one side but I never heard of it being an issue.

Glock and S&W M&P Certified Armorer
NRA certified RSO
NRA Instructor for pistol, rifle, shotgun & PPIH and PPOH
NCHeel is offline   Reply With Quote