Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:40   #1
mrstrau

Best AK sights?

I have a WASR 10/63 that I would like to update my sights on. I was planning to use a Kreb's custom rear aperture sight and an XS white front stripe with a tritium dot. This was recommended to me by my uncle, who is a LEO in Texas and an active service member.

However, I was at my local gun shop recently, talking to one of the owners who has the same setup on his Saiga. He said for close range target acquisition, its great, but past 50 or 75 yards the front sight is too big for accurate longer-range shooting.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a decent pair of sights that will give me good target acquisition past 75 to 100 yards? I know I should probably just save for an aimpoint H1 or something but I'd like to get proficient with my irons first.

Thanks
mrstrau
Old 11-02-2012, 13:27   #2
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstrau View Post
I have a WASR 10/63 that I would like to update my sights on. I was planning to use a Kreb's custom rear aperture sight and an XS white front stripe with a tritium dot. This was recommended to me by my uncle, who is a LEO in Texas and an active service member.

However, I was at my local gun shop recently, talking to one of the owners who has the same setup on his Saiga. He said for close range target acquisition, its great, but past 50 or 75 yards the front sight is too big for accurate longer-range shooting.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a decent pair of sights that will give me good target acquisition past 75 to 100 yards? I know I should probably just save for an aimpoint H1 or something but I'd like to get proficient with my irons first.

Thanks
mrstrau
The method I mentioned in your other thread allows me to hit tombstone steel targets at 200 yards from a supported position.

This is the odd case where I agree with the gun shop employee, the XS sights are just too big to use the gun to the fullest extent.

The really isn't a whole lot you can do to improve AK sites barring a red dot. Most of the ghost ring sites sit too far forward on the weapon to be fast. The ones that don't usually cause complications when cleaning the weapon or removing the top-cover to clear malfunctions, and also tend to have issue returning to zero once the maintenance is done.

If you want to learn to use the AK irons, then learn to use the AK irons. Most aftermarket sights have more issues than they solve.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote