SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:37   #1
dblong

Should I be Worried?!?

Hello, All

After owning over 10 pistols, I am a proud owner of my first Glock! Love It! I finally see what all the fuss is about and couldn't be happier with the purchase. The knowledge gained from this forum helped me greatly as well in buying the firearm. The Size, weight, capacity, and trigger/accuracy have been phenomenal. No FTF or FTE so far on 125 rounds (50 S&B 124gn, 50 Independence 115gn, 25 Hornady Critical Defense) Ejection has been GREAT as well, even though I was concerned about the 336 ejector.

Gen 3 19
Ser# TKNxxx
Test Fire: June 2012
Ejector: 336

My main concern for this post is how incredibly close the ejector is to contacting the primer when unloading a live round. To investigate further I put a piece of electrical tape on the base of the cartridge and ejected. The results showed me where the contact is happening and gave me cause for concern. The tape was scared by the ejector just barely away from the primer as well as on the edge of the primer itself. After taking off the tape there is a barely noticeable mark on the primer. Not enough to ignite in anyway, but nonetheless I could tell some small amount of contact was made
I donít eject a live round with much force and the round does kick out of the gun fine. My worries are that over time, could the ejector bend ever so slightly to cause a potential AD? Iíve never seen an ejector hit this close to the primer in any of my other handguns. In fact, itís the opposite. Most contact is made near the edge of the case far away from the primer.

Is this common on 9mm Glocks?

Should I be concerned, or I am I being overly cautious?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
General Glocking - Click for larger version   General Glocking - Click for larger version  
dblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:51   #2
DannyR

It is perfectly normal.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:31   #3
jbglock

Never had it light off the primer. Never even heard of it happening.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:43   #4
nspector

I would only be cautious about unloading a live round. If you reach your hand over the top of the slide to manipulate it, avoid the ejection port. I've read several instances of and have seen pictures of hand injuries from rounds set off in this way. I'm sure it would still be a surprise if it happened, but you will avoid injury if you keep your fingers and hand from covering the ejection port. I also turn any handgun so that the ejection port is pointing towards the ground while ejecting a live round, that way if something were to happen it's in a better direction (away from my face).

Mike

Last edited by nspector; 10-23-2012 at 07:58..
nspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:57   #5
dango

OMHO , give it about 2000 rnds. and call me in the morning .
No , I wouldn't think of that or worry , just be safe , practice
and stay observant.....!
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:36   #6
DirtyDan

Remember NEVER CATCH AN EJECTED LIVE ROUND IN YOUR HAND! This is true from a Glock or any other semi-automatic pistol.While uncommon, a live round has been known to go off when ejected by contact from the ejector with the primer. I had the same concern once and asked Mas Ayoob about it who verified that it could and has indeed happend and to use appropriate safety precautions(such as not catching it in your hand etc.) when ejecting a live round.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:46   #7
dblong

Thanks everyone! Please keep thoughts/opinions coming. The only time i eject a live round is after a day of CCW'ing. While I always eject in a safe manner, for this pistol I'm gonna make sure to cycle the slide extra slow to release the round. Can't be too safe

Side Note: Just got home from the range with another 100 rnds thru my 19. I purposefully bought Wal-Mart Federal 115gn to see how they cycled. No FTF or FTE! However I did get to experience the infamous BTTF. Occured 2-3 rnds a magazine. It didnt concern me too much because I was too focused on the giant hole I was making on the target.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:19   #8
SCC
Member Me

Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
the range that i go to has a picture of a guys hand that a round went off in his hand ..
his hand was over the ejection port and it was a .45 ... it looked bad to me
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:32   #9
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblong View Post
Thanks everyone! Please keep thoughts/opinions coming. The only time i eject a live round is after a day of CCW'ing. While I always eject in a safe manner, for this pistol I'm gonna make sure to cycle the slide extra slow to release the round. Can't be too safe

Side Note: Just got home from the range with another 100 rnds thru my 19. I purposefully bought Wal-Mart Federal 115gn to see how they cycled. No FTF or FTE! However I did get to experience the infamous BTTF. Occured 2-3 rnds a magazine. It didnt concern me too much because I was too focused on the giant hole I was making on the target.
Welcome to the club!

My own BTF problems didn't start until after I'd fired 3,000 + rounds. So, compared to my new Glock 19, you're off to an early start!
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:51   #10
dblong

^^ Thanks

So I guess that if this is where all ejectors hit the the brass on 9mm Glocks I'll just not worry about it and continue safe live round ejection. Being that this my first Glock, I just dont know if mine happens to be slightly out of spec and that I should remedy it with a new ejector. Not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, just curious.
Old 10-23-2012, 13:59   #11
Photoman642

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCC View Post
the range that i go to has a picture of a guys hand that a round went off in his hand ..
his hand was over the ejection port and it was a .45 ... it looked bad to me
Amazing. I've been futzing around with handguns since the 70's and never heard of this happening.
Photoman642 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 15:47   #12
dusty_dragon

how is the "safe way" to eject a live round from the chamber?
just pull the slide back slowly in order to not hit the primer hard with the ejector?
what about malfunction clearing, suppose it's meant to be fast and with power, so what about the danger of an AD due to a primer being striked by the ejector?
dusty_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 16:41   #13
nspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_dragon View Post
just pull the slide back slowly in order to not hit the primer hard with the ejector?
what about malfunction clearing, suppose it's meant to be fast and with power, so what about the danger of an AD due to a primer being striked by the ejector?
I think that a malfunction is more likely to be with an empty case than with a live round. If is has failed to fire by getting hit by the firing pin, I'm not sure how concerned I would be with the primer hitting the ejector. At the same time, I think slamming the slide back to eject a live round that has not failed to fire is a bad idea. If training, it's probably better to grab the slide from the back, turn it ejection port down, and slowly eject the live round. If my weapon failed, and my life depended on it, I'm not going to care....my hand is going over the top of the slide and it's getting racked hard.

Mike

Last edited by nspector; 10-23-2012 at 16:46..
nspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 16:45   #14
Bruce M

I wouldn't worry about it but I also wouldn't eject the round into my hand.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 17:01   #15
CAT 1000B

Don't worry about it and shoot the heck out of it. I also have a 19 and 26 that occasionally hit me in the face with brass if I'm using cheap target loads, but never hit me with good self defense loads. I'm fine with that.
CAT 1000B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 17:10   #16
pizza_pablo
USN Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Remember NEVER CATCH AN EJECTED LIVE ROUND IN YOUR HAND! This is true from a Glock or any other semi-automatic pistol.While uncommon, a live round has been known to go off when ejected by contact from the ejector with the primer. I had the same concern once and asked Mas Ayoob about it who verified that it could and has indeed happend and to use appropriate safety precautions(such as not catching it in your hand etc.) when ejecting a live round.
Thanks! I have not heard of this, either.
I am a lefty and until now have turned my guns ejection port down, pulled slide back with right hand, caught live round in right palm and operated slide lock with right thumb.
I reckon I will have to change my ways.
Old 10-23-2012, 17:39   #17
rickyp

What is the numbers on the ejector?
rickyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 17:44   #18
voyager4520
-----

There shouldn't be anywhere near enough energy from racking the slide with a live round to detonate the primer. If you're really worried about it though you could get a Gen4 9mm trigger housing that has the "Gen4" 30274 ejector, remove the Gen3 trigger housing from the frame, then pull the ejectors out of each trigger housing and put the 30274 ejector into the Gen3 trigger housing so you could use it in your Gen3. There's no way the broad tip of the 30274 ejector could indent the primer enough to detonate it.

Though if ejection has been great with the 336 ejector I'd keep that ejector in the gun. 9mm Glocks have used 336 ejectors for close to two decades and I've never heard a single instance of the ejector detonating a primer.

Last edited by voyager4520; 10-23-2012 at 17:48..
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 17:56   #19
dblong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_dragon View Post
For me it starts with muzzle in safe direction/finger of the trigger and racking the slide gently back and letting the round fall out. In the case of a racking the slide to clear a jam in a training situation at the range or in real life could potentially cause an AD if the ejector were to flex or move any further to the right (if thats possible I dont know)
As of right now I'm starting to feel that everything is okay bc the primer is recessed in the case by seveal thousanths of an inch and the ejector is going to always hit brass first bc of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT 1000B View Post
Don't worry about it and shoot the heck out of it. I also have a 19 and 26 that occasionally hit me in the face with brass if I'm using cheap target loads, but never hit me with good self defense loads. I'm fine with that.
The few BTF with the the Wal_mart Federal were hardly noticed bc of what a pleasure this gun it is to shoot! Like you, it was only with cheap stuff. Would there be any disadvantage of putting the #30274 in it?? Just wondering
Old 10-23-2012, 18:16   #20
dblong

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
There shouldn't be anywhere near enough energy from racking the slide with a live round to detonate the primer. If you're really worried about it though you could get a Gen4 9mm trigger housing that has the "Gen4" 30274 ejector, remove the Gen3 trigger housing from the frame, then pull the ejectors out of each trigger housing and put the 30274 ejector into the Gen3 trigger housing so you could use it in your Gen3. There's no way the broad tip of the 30274 ejector could indent the primer enough to detonate it.

Though if ejection has been great with the 336 ejector I'd keep that ejector in the gun. 9mm Glocks have used 336 ejectors for close to two decades and I've never heard a single instance of the ejector detonating a primer.
Good Info - This Forum is great. Thanks again for everyone's input. I think I'm leave the 336 in there for now unless there is some overwhelming reason to change it down the road

Tags
9mm, ejector, glock 19, primer