GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 08:33   #1
AGAF
On a Journey
 
AGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 262
Extended mag release for Gen 3 26....?

I've never changed out any parts on my Gen 3 G26, so I have no reference for where to buy parts. Anyone know where I can purchase the longer, extended mag release for my 26? Seems like it would be a snap to change out.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There are threats everywhere......and the world is draped in camouflage.
AGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:42   #2
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!
 
Arc Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 10,956
Blog Entries: 55
Yeah!

Either Glockmeister or Glockparts.com Both, also, have instructions on their website on how to remove the old part and install the new.

http://glockparts.com/Content.aspx?P...ck Disassembly

http://www.glockmeister.com/Tech_Info.asp
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:46   #3
AGAF
On a Journey
 
AGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 262
Arc Angel - Thanks!
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There are threats everywhere......and the world is draped in camouflage.
AGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:01   #4
AGAF
On a Journey
 
AGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 262
Would there be any reason to swap out the mag catch spring when replacing the mag catch?
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There are threats everywhere......and the world is draped in camouflage.
AGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:51   #5
kodiakpb
Senior Member
 
kodiakpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,083
No, there is no reason to need to do that.
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:26   #6
MikeG36
Senior Member
 
MikeG36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Have Gun Will Travel
Posts: 1,458
Yeah it's an easy swap but, why do you want to change the mag catch on your G3 - 26? Since it's a 26 I'm guessing it's a carry pistol and as such it may be carried in such a way that the extended magazine catch may be depressed and pop your mag. Nothing worse than pulling a perfectly good weapon in a fight and having the mag drop to the ground.
__________________
NRA Member
GSSF Member
Certified Glock Armorer
MikeG36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54   #7
Dave.1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG36 View Post
Yeah it's an easy swap but, why do you want to change the mag catch on your G3 - 26? Since it's a 26 I'm guessing it's a carry pistol and as such it may be carried in such a way that the extended magazine catch may be depressed and pop your mag. Nothing worse than pulling a perfectly good weapon in a fight and having the mag drop to the ground.
Depends on what you want to use it for.

I switched one out for someone who used it for competition, a faster magazine change.

Dave
Dave.1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:15   #8
jupiter
Senior Member
 
jupiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: North Mississippi
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG36 View Post
Yeah it's an easy swap but, why do you want to change the mag catch on your G3 - 26? Since it's a 26 I'm guessing it's a carry pistol and as such it may be carried in such a way that the extended magazine catch may be depressed and pop your mag. Nothing worse than pulling a perfectly good weapon in a fight and having the mag drop to the ground.
You're wasting your time with good advice Mike!
__________________
I hate Chevy Silverado pickups!
jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 14:17   #9
AquaHull
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West MI
Posts: 194
When I installed the extended mag release ,I found it to be to tall. So I filed it halfway down with a double-cut bastard file. Its a little be taller than OEM, but not so tall it snags on everything or gets depressed. The double-cut bastard file left a rough surface for the thumb to grip on.YMMV
AquaHull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 14:35   #10
AGAF
On a Journey
 
AGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 262
Yeah, its for concealed carry. Had no idea it stuck out that far. I was just wanting something that was a little easier to depress. Do they make one that is kind of in between the two?
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There are threats everywhere......and the world is draped in camouflage.
AGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 14:35   #11
jupiter
Senior Member
 
jupiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: North Mississippi
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaHull View Post
When I installed the extended mag release ,I found it to be to tall. So I filed it halfway down with a double-cut bastard file. Its a little be taller than OEM, but not so tall it snags on everything or gets depressed. The double-cut bastard file left a rough surface for the thumb to grip on.YMMV
I did the same thing once! I liked the slightly extra length.
Since I have 9 Glocks, I would rather have a packaged solution!
How does the Vickers release compare to Glocks standard release as far as length goes?
__________________
I hate Chevy Silverado pickups!
jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 15:02   #12
dkf
Senior Member
 
dkf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,473
I bought a Glock extended mag release to try and IMO it is WAY too long for carry purposes. For competition or at the range it is fine and that is what it was designed for.

If you want a slightly extended mag release vs stock look at the Vickers or cut down a Glock extended mag release.

http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vic...ock-mag-catch/

Last edited by dkf; 10-20-2012 at 15:03..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:41   #13
rlcoy58
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 21
I am a big fan of the Vickers extended mag release as well. It is a bit more costly than most others but worth it to me.
rlcoy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:57   #14
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!
 
Arc Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 10,956
Blog Entries: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAF View Post
Would there be any reason to swap out the mag catch spring when replacing the mag catch?
Glock, Smyrna recommends (and rightly so) that you don't fool around with the magazine release spring anymore than you absolutely have to. I haven't touched mine in years; and until it starts to show signs of weakening I ain't going to be touching it, either.

Just so you know: (Why don't we put this, 'IN MY OPINION'.) Glock's magazine release has long been a weak point in the Glock design. I know 2 or 3 other Glock pistol carriers who have had the same bad - but, happily, infrequent - experience with Glock's magazine release as I have.

Three times in the past 10 years I've heard a, 'thump' and looked down at my feet to see a loaded Glock magazine lying on the ground! It's just too easy for something to come in contact with this easily depressed and always protruding magazine release.

Consequently I am very conscious of not applying any undue side pressure to my Glock's frame while I'm carrying or inserting my Glock into a holster. Like I said: This problem doesn't happen often; BUT, it does happen; and every Glock owner should be aware of the potential for this to occur.

Personally I would never do anything to extend or oversize a Glock magazine release. It's already weak enough and too easy to push in on. (Making the mag release larger on the Gen 4's makes absolutely NO SENSE to me.)

All of the above being said: I don't care what anyone else does to his Glock magazine release; so feel free to do whatever you like. It's NOT going to matter to me.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 10-21-2012 at 08:06..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:59   #15
jupiter
Senior Member
 
jupiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: North Mississippi
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Glock, Smyrna recommends (and rightly so) that you don't fool around with the magazine release spring anymore than you absolutely have to. I haven't touched mine in years; and until it starts to show signs of weakening I ain't going to be touching it, either.

Just so you know: (Why don't we put this, 'IN MY OPINION'.) Glock's magazine release has long been a weak point in the Glock design. I know 2 or 3 other Glock pistol carriers who have had the same bad - but, happily, infrequent - experience with Glock's magazine release as I have.

Three times in the past 10 years I've heard a, 'thump' and looked down at my feet to see a loaded Glock magazine lying on the ground! It's just too easy for something to come in contact with this easily depressed and always protruding magazine release.

Consequently I am very conscious of not applying any undue side pressure to my Glock's frame while I'm carrying or inserting my Glock into a holster. Like I said: This problem doesn't happen often; BUT, it does happen; and every Glock owner should be aware of the potential for this to occur.

Personally I would never do anything to extend or oversize a Glock magazine release. It's already weak enough and too easy to push in on. (Making the mag release larger on the Gen 4's makes absolutely NO SENSE to me.)

All of the above being said: I don't care what anyone else does to his Glock magazine release; so feel free to do whatever you like. It's NOT going to matter to me.
Living in the country does have advantages. I'm able to wear a pistol so I can dispatch the occasional snake I come across when working on my place. On a couple of different occasions, by the end of the day, I found my magazine was not fully seated when carrying a G17 and a Glock 34 with the extended releases. Two different guns and two different holsters. It didn't take long to realize all that bending, leaning etc. put my pistol in positions I don't usually encounter during a normal day. I quickly ditched the extended releases on any pistol I use for carry. In this case, the G17.
I look at it like this.
I would rather loose .2/.3 seconds on a reload after firing 18 rounds than fire 1 shot and have my pistol go CLICK! The 2 most likely scenarios.
I'm sure there may be some holsters out there that may totally prevent this. The holsters I was using didn't appear to allow contact with anything that would release the magazine however. For me, the standard release is the better option.
__________________
I hate Chevy Silverado pickups!
jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:22   #16
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!
 
Arc Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 10,956
Blog Entries: 55
That's funny! I hate Chevy Silverado pickups, too!
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:12.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,281
296 Members
985 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42