Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:43   #1
Solscud007

Gen4 recoil spring not suppressor friendly?

I read somewhere that Gen 4 are not suppressor friendly due to the new double recoil spring? Or did I read false information?

I cant have suppressor in NY but a friend in Pittsburgh slapped a suppressor onto a threaded barrel and put it in his FDE G19.

I wasnt sure if that was a good idea or not? Does he need to replace the recoil spring or do anything else?
Solscud007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:36   #2
Raleigh Glocker

I had no problems with my Gen 4 G17 and my Liberty Infinity. As with many pistols, a booster piston is recommended. Lots of footage in the video below...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Raleigh Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 14:48   #3
rimshaker

Glock factory threaded barrels (17, 19, 21) are gen3 designs. The barrel will fit fine into gen2 or gen4 models, but I think you need a small adapter to use the new gen4 recoil spring. As for aftermarket threaded barrels, i have no experience with them but i'm sure someone will chime in.
rimshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 15:43   #4
Raleigh Glocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshaker View Post
Glock factory threaded barrels (17, 19, 21) are gen3 designs. The barrel will fit fine into gen2 or gen4 models, but I think you need a small adapter to use the new gen4 recoil spring. As for aftermarket threaded barrels, i have no experience with them but i'm sure someone will chime in.
Glock factory-threaded barrels drop right in a Gen 4 with no other changes. That's exactly what's in the video above.

That said, I wish I didn't get the factory barrel. They are threaded left hand, which is a pain for keeping the suppressor AND the booster tight on the barrel. If your can locks onto its booster, that doesn't matter, but the Infiniti threads onto the booster right hand, and the booster threads onto the barrel left hand.

There are ways to deal with this, but if I had to do it over again, I'd get an aftermarket barrel with RH threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 10-18-2012, 20:51   #5
rimshaker

^^^ That's true, and thread type was an important consideration when I was deciding on my first can. In the end I thought the benefits of a metric LH thread outweighed the RH/LH tightening issues. And most aftermarkets use standard threads.

I like that metric threads use 1 or 2 o-rings to help prevent barrel slippage when firing. At least in my experience so far, i haven't had my metric piston even move out of place yet when shooting.

Also the rifling inside Glock factory threaded barrels have the same clockwise twist. So with the bullet spinning clockwise out of the barrel, its own muzzle blast inertia aids in keeping a LH threaded piston from loosening. Could be negligible, but it helps in theory.

The metric thread also indexes on the actual muzzle instead of the back of the threads. So the silencer locks up better and aligns more consistently with the barrel. Anything to reduce baffle strikes/rubs i'm all for it lol.

Now as for the RH/LH tightening issues between the can/booster/barrel, I just simply make sure to grasp only the booster section. Not such a big deal. It doesn't take much force to tighten or loosen the metric threads anyway. I'm using a Ti-Rant.

Last edited by rimshaker; 10-18-2012 at 20:52..
rimshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 21:07   #6
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh Glocker View Post
I had no problems with my Gen 4 G17 and my Liberty Infinity. As with many pistols, a booster piston is recommended. Lots of footage in the video below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZjcrrT9tM

Thanks for the video. Actually you presented something to compare the sounds to, to determine difference of suppression.

I never thought of hearing the bullet hitting the backstop as a reference. very good.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 21:17   #7
.38 super
Observer

Raleigh Glocker, you'll love this: http://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-158-g...cchi-50-rounds
Florida Glockers Club #1964
Калашников Клуб №1000
.38 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:26   #8
Raleigh Glocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshaker View Post
^^^ That's true, and thread type was an important consideration when I was deciding on my first can. In the end I thought the benefits of a metric LH thread outweighed the RH/LH tightening issues. And most aftermarkets use standard threads.

I like that metric threads use 1 or 2 o-rings to help prevent barrel slippage when firing. At least in my experience so far, i haven't had my metric piston even move out of place yet when shooting.

Also the rifling inside Glock factory threaded barrels have the same clockwise twist. So with the bullet spinning clockwise out of the barrel, its own muzzle blast inertia aids in keeping a LH threaded piston from loosening. Could be negligible, but it helps in theory.

The metric thread also indexes on the actual muzzle instead of the back of the threads. So the silencer locks up better and aligns more consistently with the barrel. Anything to reduce baffle strikes/rubs i'm all for it lol.

Now as for the RH/LH tightening issues between the can/booster/barrel, I just simply make sure to grasp only the booster section. Not such a big deal. It doesn't take much force to tighten or loosen the metric threads anyway. I'm using a Ti-Rant.
Not all boosters/cans use o-rings for lock-up. Also, the problem is when the can loosens from the booster- when you twist to tighten the can on the booster, you loosen the booster off the barrel. So, you have to support the pistol with your gut, grab the can with one and, and grab the booster with the other. It is much easier just grabbing the can on a RH threaded booster, cranking it "righty tighty" while the pistol is in your hand and securing the whole thing at once.

The thing for everyone to keep in mind is that there are several basic suppressor pistol systems out there. Pick your barrel AFTER you pick your suppressor if at all possible, and do it based upon the recommendation of the suppressor manufacturer. I did it bass ackwards because I wanted a factory part, for whatever that is worth.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:29   #9
Raleigh Glocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by .38 super View Post
That was nowhere to be found when I made the video. I'm going to grab some so I have it for when I get my stamp back. That's looking more and more like November based upon current reports.

Old 11-15-2012, 21:00   #10
joe0121

I have a buddy with a gen 4 that will not reliably function with a can. He has a silencer CO. If i remember correctly he gets failures to feed.
Old 11-16-2012, 00:07   #11
Raleigh Glocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
I have a buddy with a gen 4 that will not reliably function with a can. He has a silencer CO. If i remember correctly he gets failures to feed.
Anytime you have a problem caused by the addition of a can, the first thing to do is to contact the suppressor manufacturer. A company like Silencerco has seen it all, and they will get your friend's Glock running with their can.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:10   #12
joe0121

Quote:
Anytime you have a problem caused by the addition of a can, the first thing to do is to contact the suppressor manufacturer. A company like Silencerco has seen it all, and they will get your friend's Glock running with their can.
He has the Ospry (Awesome can BTW and same one I am going to get) It worked great on his Sig. I'll ask him if he talked to Silencerco yet or not. From what I understand the booster is adjustable on those?
Old 11-16-2012, 13:41   #13
Raleigh Glocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
He has the Ospry (Awesome can BTW and same one I am going to get) It worked great on his Sig. I'll ask him if he talked to Silencerco yet or not. From what I understand the booster is adjustable on those?
Seriously, if he talked to Silencerco, it would be working or they'd be in the process of making it work. They are a great company and would know exactly what to do.

I just looked at the manual online and did not see anything about the booster being adjustable, but I suppose they might have different springs. You do adjust the position of the can ON the booster so that it is perfectly vertical once the booster is screwed tightly onto the barrel.

The Osprey is a very nice can from a great company. You will be happy with your purchase.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:41   #14
joe0121

Quote:
Seriously, if he talked to Silencerco, it would be working or they'd be in the process of making it work. They are a great company and would know exactly what to do.

I just looked at the manual online and did not see anything about the booster being adjustable, but I suppose they might have different springs. You do adjust the position of the can ON the booster so that it is perfectly vertical once the booster is screwed tightly onto the barrel.

The Osprey is a very nice can from a great company. You will be happy with your purchase.
I have no doubt. I cant wait to get mine. I just posted so the OP would know he may have an issue. Though It shouldn't be too difficult to get fixed.