Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-10-2012, 00:21   #1
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

This really ticks me off

At 44, I've only briefly seen a bald eagle twice in my life. I can't believe someone would shoot one for any reason, but apparently they do. This happened not too far from us...

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/l...-investigating
Black Rifle Club Member #768
JLB768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 00:38   #2
frizz

Disgusting. This is not a game animal.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 00:49   #3
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I used to work at Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa. They had a small Southern Bald Eagle on a chain for their Birds of Prey show. Pissed me off to no end.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:19   #4
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

That is sad. When I lived in Wa State I had a nesting pair in our trees.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:35   #5
okie
GT Mayor

Who ever did that needs to be strung up
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:54   #6
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizz View Post
Disgusting. This is not a game animal.
The symbol of America, and they just shoot it.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:55   #7
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
Who ever did that needs to be strung up
I agree Mark.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:41   #8
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

There are actually quite a few American Bald Eagles in and around northeastern Pennsylvania. I got my first real good, up close and personal look at one of these birds about 7 years ago. We were walking on a trail in Tobyhanna State Park; as we crested a hill there was a beaver hut just out in the water in front of us.

Our Dachshund barked; I looked; and there it was! A large magnificent Bald Eagle with a bright white head! My Dachshund wouldn't keep quiet; and the eagle slowly lofted himself into the air, spread his 3 foot wide wings, and gently sailed off across the marsh. For a fellow who was in The Audubon Society for more than 10 years, and never seen an Eagle before, that was quite a thrill.

Did you ever see the, 'Married With Children' show about the Bundy's trip to Florida where they met, 'the man who knew Andy Griffith'? Well, I once spent two days birding with none other than Roger Tory Peterson! He was one of the nicest people I've ever met - A real gentleman with beautiful social manners! We've, probably, got a large wild bird feeder in the backyard today because of him!
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:10   #9
packin23
Welcome Wagon

There's no way whoever shot it could have mistaken a bird that large for anything other than what it is.

Those birds are amazing. A buddy and I were on lake Marion fishin' and three bald eagles were flying around over us making all sorts of noise. Two of the birds kept flying real fast at each other with their talons exposed and then break away. This went on for a good 20 or 30 minutes until at about 100 ft or so above the lake they actually locked talons with each other. Now I had seen this on the discovery channel and thought this type of behavior happened only in Alaska. Anyhow, when they locked up they started to fall with their wings fully extended out spinning in circles. They fell all the way until about 10 ft from the surface of the lake where they broke loose and one flew away with the other eagle that wasn't involved in the dogfight.

All of this happened no more than 50 ft from where we were spec fishin'. We both couldn't believe that we had actually witnessed that behavior so close to us. They didn't seem to care that we were there. We caught a lot of fish and saw a helluva cool show in the sky. Why anyone would want to shoot a beautiful bird like that is beyond me.
packin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:20   #10
JMS

They are a protected species, I believe by federal law.

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:28   #11
Baba Louie

Quote:
I can't believe someone would shoot one for any reason, but apparently they do.
Yet another excellent and valid reason for anti-gunners to point to in their effort to deny ownership of arms to citizens. Moronic behavior on so many levels. (both the idiot that shot Raptor and the antis who generalize)

I've been blessed to see Baldies in Missouri (Truman Reservoir), Kansas (Tuttle Creek Reservoir), Colorado, Utah and Nevada. I have watched them fish and fight and soar out of sight above me. Often thought, if reincarnation is an option (I'd probably end up a starling or hummingbird, but the thought is there)

These people are wonderful in what they do for injured Raptors.
http://www.rmrp.org/
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:32   #12
tarpleyg

I see a bald eagle almost every time I head out on the lake. Beautiful animals. I'd like to believe this one was killed through ignorance or by mistake but who knows.

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/jord/activities.php

tarpleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:03   #13
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

Come on up to North Idaho, we have platoons of Bald Eagles here. One morning I took my pontoon boat up to the river and was anchored out under a bridge having some coffee, waiting for the river to wake up, when WHAM, a bald eagle slammed into the water in front of me, pulled out a cutthroat trout and flew right past me, looking at me as if to say "that's how it's done, son." Coolest moment ever.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:08   #14
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Lots of them in MN.
Not surprised by this. Idiots abound.
I made a career out of processing then. Nothing unique about idiots, much less than a dime a dozen.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:11   #15
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by packin23 View Post
There's no way whoever shot it could have mistaken a bird that large for anything other than what it is.
Well, the only season in at the moment, is deer, and I've never seen a bird with antlers. It was no mistake...
Old 11-10-2012, 11:16   #16
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
They are a protected species, I believe by federal law.

I believe various Indian tribes are allowed to harvest them limited quota. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:17   #17
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Lots of them in MN.
Not surprised by this. Idiots abound.
I made a career out of processing then. Nothing unique about idiots, much less than a dime a dozen.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, I'm not really surprised either, just makes me sick. Both times that I saw one, I was really stunned at what I was seeing, and it took a second to sink in.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:21   #18
Bruce M

If whoever did it is caught they stand a very good chance of learning a thing or three

about the federal justice system.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:23   #19
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Getting ready for another extravagent White House dinner?
Old 11-10-2012, 11:34   #20
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Every year our whole (extended) family rent a resort and spend time in the North Woods.

The highlight of the trip is watching the Eagles and the new babys.

This is reprehensible and disgusting to do to the symbol of our country's spirit.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:45   #21
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Reminds me of guy who got lost in desert. When found he had killed a condor. The judge thru it out as life/death situation. The judge asked "I have to ask, What did Condor taste like?" The man said "Kinda like adult Bald Eagle"

That out of way. I had two hang on my land two yrs ago. Never saw them after torndo ripped down the trees they were in. :( Less then 50 yds from my house.
Cabela's in Rogers MN had a Bald Eagle from rapture center. Huge bird, seemed very alert. They said its wing was broken yrs ago/could never fly again.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51   #22
railfancwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
I used to work at Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa. They had a small Southern Bald Eagle on a chain for their Birds of Prey show. Pissed me off to no end.
Generally speaking, eagles - golden or bald - on exhibit in zoos are there because some injury would keep them from surviving in the wild. (Injury from flying into power lines is far more common than being shot.) That was the case in Nashville.

Dollywood, in Pigeon Forge near the Smokies, operates a raptor rescue center. Big thing is rescuing second and third eggs from nests, incubating them, and raising hatchlings to survive in the wild. I saw a bald eagle fishing the Tennessee River in Knoxville, probably due to this program. Bird didn't catch a fish that time...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 11-10-2012, 12:32   #23
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Every year our whole (extended) family rent a resort and spend time in the North Woods.

The highlight of the trip is watching the Eagles and the new babys.

This is reprehensible and disgusting to do to the symbol of our country's spirit.
We're still talking about Eagles, right?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:46   #24
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
We're still talking about Eagles, right?
Yes, a protected species, and the symbol of America.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:53   #25
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
Generally speaking, eagles - golden or bald - on exhibit in zoos are there because some injury would keep them from surviving in the wild. (Injury from flying into power lines is far more common than being shot.) That was the case in Nashville.

Dollywood, in Pigeon Forge near the Smokies, operates a raptor rescue center. Big thing is rescuing second and third eggs from nests, incubating them, and raising hatchlings to survive in the wild. I saw a bald eagle fishing the Tennessee River in Knoxville, probably due to this program. Bird didn't catch a fish that time...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I imagine so. I did not know why the bird was there, or if it had an injury, just that I didn't like seeing it chained up.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote