Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2012, 13:16   #1
jollygreen

A question for experts re nail guns.

I have some repairs to do on a screened in porch. Basically, I'm going to rebuild the thing as some of the wood is rotten.

I'm going to buy a nail gun w/air compressor. The entire project can be completed using only 8 penny finishing nails.

So I have two questions.

1) Does a nail gun allow you to set the countersink depth. How far?

2) If I get a gun that handles 8 penny, (whatever pin/guage that is in nail gun nomenclature), will it handle any other size?

thanx for the advice
Old 10-14-2012, 13:52   #2
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

1) Q..Does a nail gun allow you to set the countersink depth. How far?

A. No, the depth of the nail is not regulated. How hard it is driven by the air can be regulated, but you will not get percise depth control. Softer wood will allow the nail to penetrate further for the same adjustment on the gun. When I use mine I try to find a good setting that will allow the nail to go flush with the gun, then use a nail set to counter sink the heads in trim boards.

2) Q...If I get a gun that handles 8 penny, (whatever pin/guage that is in nail gun nomenclature), will it handle any other size?

using the wrong gauge size of nail is pretty much like trying to use the wrong gauge in a shotgun. Jams at best....and you'll need to determine if you want straight or angled feed. You can use different lenght nails of the same gauge within limits of the gun.

Best thing about the nail gun for me is allowing one hand operation, so you can hold the piece of wood and fasten it in place at the same time, instead of needing three hands when using a hammer. Also for hardwoods, you don't have to pre-drill to avoid splitting the wood.......well....at least most of the time.

Last edited by FullClip; 10-14-2012 at 13:54.. Reason: add about nail size
FullClip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 14:06   #3
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Most nail guns operate up to 90 psi. The pressure setting is typically how you adjust the countersink depth. How far isn't an exact measurement, just trial and error. Wood density isn't consistent so some nails will set deeper than others. Most nail guns will have some minor adjustments as well. Nail guns don't really car much about diameter either. Length is the primary measurement. 2" to 3" inches is common. Full head nails (as opposed to clipped head) are preferred by most builders and code in some places. But yes, one gun will run, more or less 8s, 12s and 16s.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 14:11   #4
Mmchugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygreen View Post
I have some repairs to do on a screened in porch. Basically, I'm going to rebuild the thing as some of the wood is rotten.

I'm going to buy a nail gun w/air compressor. The entire project can be completed using only 8 penny finishing nails.

So I have two questions.

1) Does a nail gun allow you to set the countersink depth. How far?

2) If I get a gun that handles 8 penny, (whatever pin/guage that is in nail gun nomenclature), will it handle any other size?

thanx for the advice
I have a bostitch 15 gauge trim nail gun, it can shoot nails from 1 1/2" to 2 1/2". You can also adjust the depth it sets the nail. I also have a Porter Cable 18 gauge brad nailer that shoots 1/2" to 2" brads. You can not adjust the depth. I think for your project the 15 gauge is what you want. 18 gauge brads don't have much holding power. Hope this helps.
Mmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 14:15   #5
Mmchugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Most nail guns operate up to 90 psi. The pressure setting is typically how you adjust the countersink depth. How far isn't an exact measurement, just trial and error. Wood density isn't consistent so some nails will set deeper than others. Most nail guns will have some minor adjustments as well. Nail guns don't really car much about diameter either. Length is the primary measurement. 2" to 3" inches is common. Full head nails (as opposed to clipped head) are preferred by most builders and code in some places. But yes, one gun will run, more or less 8s, 12s and 16s.
No offense but your describing framing guns not trim guns. Trim guns are gauge specific. I may be wrong but the OP stated 8 penny finish nails.
Mmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:11   #6
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Yep, missed that important word!

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:44   #7
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Why the flip do we use the penny-system anymore???? 2d is an inch and ever 2 more raise it by half. Talk about confusing. Why don't we use Stone in measuring weight??? Or Score in time? Odd that carpentry still uses (to some extent) the penny-method of measurement.

BTW - I had to look up the length measurements online - I never knew d was for denarius. Pretty cool bit of trivia.